Dontae Aycock Redux: "I was signing with Auburn no matter what."

I agree 100%. Tech doesn't have the student numbers or fan base numbers to ever pack out a 100,000 seat stadium unless something drastically changes. Hell, we can't even pack out a 55,000 seat stadium. I love BDS and the history that surrounds it, but I think the general public perception is that Tech is not an elite CFB option. I can't say that I disagree, and that's certainly not a bad thing, but we don't create that big time college football atmosphere unless a big time college football factory is coming into BDS. Not a bad thing, I'm just saying.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, cause we don't fill the 55,000 stadium. But even if we did we will never fill a 100,000 just cause our school population is a 5th of that at best. I suppose being a big time college football team also mean being at a school with a high population. (a.k.a. more and more it looks like being a big time FB school has little to do with football)

I mean, think about it from his perspective. He is an Auburn Tiger.

What is he going to say? Yeah, Tech was my first choice and I am quite upset not to be a Jacket??

Doubt that would go well with the folks at Auburn.

That's right. He should have said that. And since he didn't say just that, we will hate him more for it. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, cause we don't fill the 55,000 stadium. But even if we did we will never fill a 100,000 just cause our school population is a 5th of that at best. I suppose being a big time college football team also mean being at a school with a high population. (a.k.a. more and more it looks like being a big time FB school has little to do with football)

Actually other schools our size or smaller have had big college stadiums. Stanford (until just recently) stadium seated 85k with an undergrad population half
of ours. In our own league, Miami only has an undergrad population of 10k (GT is 12k), and their stadium is Dolphin Stadium (76k). Clemson has only 2k more undergrads than us, and their stadium is 80k.

However, most schools are like you say -- Baylor, Northwestern, Wake, Virginia all have 60k or less stadium size.

Guys. Either you believe DA or CPJ. I happen to believe CPJ. On signing day CPJ said that DA was still going to commit to Tech. He called that morning and begged CPJ to let him come, and apologized. Then his brother called to apologize to CPJ, and beg for him to forgive his brother. This was confirmed in side conversation by other coached on NSD. He most definately was still coming to Tech. Again, I choose to believe CPJ and our coaching staff, because he has no reason to lie.
All that being said, I agree that it really doesn't matter now, because he plays for Auburn. I do not care what he does from here on out. I am interested in the young men, who kept their word, and signed with Tech.
I am just tired of everyone calling our coach a liar. After everything DA has done, you are going to believe him over CPJ.

Our student class-sizes have increased recently, correct?

Do they increase EVERY year?

Talking to athletic director David Housel, "Dave, I need a raise," Gene Chizik pleaded.
"Hell, Coach," he shrugged, "We just hired you, and you make more money than the entire English department. How can I justify giving you a raise?"

"I'll show you what I have to put up with," the coach replied, opening the office door and calling in Dontae Aycock, the team's new star player. "Son," the coach said to the player, "run over to my office and see if I'm there."

"Sure, Coach." Twenty minutes later, the winded athlete returned. "No, sir, Coach,"
he panted, "you ain't there."

Thanking the player and sending him back to practice, the coach turned to the Housel and asked, "Now do you understand?"

"I sure do," he agreed. "The dumb sob could have phoned."

This kind of s*** happens every year to every team to some degree--I'm sorry he went to the buzzards he sounds like he would make a perfect nadlicker!!

Actually other schools our size or smaller have had big college stadiums. Stanford (until just recently) stadium seated 85k with an undergrad population half
of ours. In our own league, Miami only has an undergrad population of 10k (GT is 12k), and their stadium is Dolphin Stadium (76k). Clemson has only 2k more undergrads than us, and their stadium is 80k.

However, most schools are like you say -- Baylor, Northwestern, Wake, Virginia all have 60k or less stadium size.

Miami may have 76K, but the very rarely come even close to selling it out.

Glad to see you've been paroled, gsu. BTW, isn't it about time you changed your location?

This only has meaning in two contexts......

1. Did we do anything that made him change his mind? IOW, can we learn anything from this to help us recruit in the future?

2. Does the incident cause anyone to cast aspersions on our coach's or our program's integrity? We can defend our program, but it is really the coach's job because he and DA are the only ones who know the real truth. If CPJ feels the need to address it, he should (and I have no doubt will) address it. He doesn't need our help to defend himself.

Other than that, why does anyone here care about Aycock's opinions? He's just another kid going to Auburn. His opinion means nothing more to me than any other Auburn recruit. I have nothing against him and I hope he enjoys himself at Auburn. But by going there, he made himself pretty much irrelevant to me.

I agree 100%. Tech doesn't have the student numbers or fan base numbers to ever pack out a 100,000 seat stadium unless something drastically changes. Hell, we can't even pack out a 55,000 seat stadium. I love BDS and the history that surrounds it, but I think the general public perception is that Tech is not an elite CFB option. I can't say that I disagree, and that's certainly not a bad thing, but we don't create that big time college football atmosphere unless a big time college football factory is coming into BDS. Not a bad thing, I'm just saying.

Everything you say is legit. But does that define Georgia Tech < Auburn?

Back