Dontae Aycock Redux: "I was signing with Auburn no matter what."

The main reason they sellout is because they, USCe, and the Citadel are the only big time(choke,choke) football games in SC, excluding the HBCU schools which are a different market altogether. The real anamoly is USCe, which I understand sells out all the time, but then is the only thing happening in Columbia on a Saturday in football season, sort of like GT in the old days.

Re: This only has meaning in two contexts......

1. Did we do anything that made him change his mind? IOW, can we learn anything from this to help us recruit in the future?

Well, we pulled his scholarship offer...I'd say that might have factored into his decision....

IPTAY was brilliant marketing strategy by Clemson. "I pay ten a year" changed over time to twenty, twenty-five, thirty, then thirty-five. For a long time now IPTAY asks for more than that sum. But, they brought everyone in as a booster, with samll sums being asked. This gave everyone the right to season tickets and they stayed very loyal for a long, long time to allowing long term IPTAY members to keep good seats. They kept expanding the stadium so that the growing IPTAY crowd could get a seat. It really was remarkable strategy, caring more about growing the fan base than maximizing contributions. I think it paid off for them.

1. Did we do anything that made him change his mind? IOW, can we learn anything from this to help us recruit in the future?

2. Does the incident cause anyone to cast aspersions on our coach's or our program's integrity? We can defend our program, but it is really the coach's job because he and DA are the only ones who know the real truth. If CPJ feels the need to address it, he should (and I have no doubt will) address it. He doesn't need our help to defend himself.

Other than that, why does anyone here care about Aycock's opinions? He's just another kid going to Auburn. His opinion means nothing more to me than any other Auburn recruit. I have nothing against him and I hope he enjoys himself at Auburn. But by going there, he made himself pretty much irrelevant to me.
I guess based on your comments you missed everything that was printed and posted in the week before and after signing day? What we learned was that some kids can't be taken at their word, and what high school kids and their coaches learned is that PJ can. Anyone who thinks this somehow is a negative in terms of the integrity of our coach or program is an idiot whose opinion doesn't matter.

IPTAY was brilliant marketing strategy by Clemson. "I pay ten a year" changed over time to twenty, twenty-five, thirty, then thirty-five. For a long time now IPTAY asks for more than that sum. But, they brought everyone in as a booster, with samll sums being asked. This gave everyone the right to season tickets and they stayed very loyal for a long, long time to allowing long term IPTAY members to keep good seats. They kept expanding the stadium so that the growing IPTAY crowd could get a seat. It really was remarkable strategy, caring more about growing the fan base than maximizing contributions. I think it paid off for them.
IPTAY was a very good program for Clempsen and it helped them get a firm foundation of both money and loyal fans but I fail to see the point you are making. When the IPTAY drive was established Clempsen was not only a cow college in a cow town---the entire region was bucolic and their fan base was almost entirely rural. There is no questioning that IPTAY was an unqualified success, but similar marketing strategies would have a difficult time succeeding in Atlanta.

Well, we pulled his scholarship offer...I'd say that might have factored into his decision....

LOL!! You are right. I was thinking about prior to that. Is there anything we did that "pushed" him to visit Auburn? He obviously knew that he's lose the scholly if he visited. He must have been pretty determined. That is what I meant but did a poor job of articulating that little detail.

Good catch. :bowdown:

My point however remains. It is only relevant now as it affects us now. 1) what can we learn from it and 2) our reputation.

I guess based on your comments you missed everything that was printed and posted in the week before and after signing day? What we learned was that some kids can't be taken at their word, and what high school kids and their coaches learned is that PJ can. Anyone who thinks this somehow is a negative in terms of the integrity of our coach or program is an idiot whose opinion doesn't matter.

Well, we all know that there are a lot of idiots out there - especially when it comes to college loyalties and reputations. And those idiot's opinions actually do matter because they can influence other people - people who may someday get an offer here or parents of someone who may get an offer here.

It sounds good to say we don't care what other people think (i.e. we don't need them), but college football is not recruited, played or evaluated in a vacuum. It is short-sighted to be that way.

IPTAY was a very good program for Clempsen and it helped them get a firm foundation of both money and loyal fans but I fail to see the point you are making. When the IPTAY drive was established Clempsen was not only a cow college in a cow town---the entire region was bucolic and their fan base was almost entirely rural. There is no questioning that IPTAY was an unqualified success, but similar marketing strategies would have a difficult time succeeding in Atlanta.

Not suggesting anyone could use the IPTAY strategy in 2009 and not suggesting it for GT. The point was to try and understand Clemson's huge fan base for football in spite of a small student body. I think more than saying "there's nothing else to do in South Carolina" you can attribute Clemson's large ticket base on the IPTAY approach that developed a large and loyal fan base and treated that fan base very well.

If anything, when we were struggling after leaving the SEC in the 70's and early 80's we perhaps should have used a similar strategy to build the fan base.

O please.....its like when u hit on a girl and she totally rejects u then when u walk back to your buddies and say "ugly fat skank"

My point however remains. It is only relevant now as it affects us now. 1) what can we learn from it and 2) our reputation.

Not sure on #1, if anything, but on #2, I think it can only enhance our reputation.

Well, we all know that there are a lot of idiots out there - especially when it comes to college loyalties and reputations. And those idiot's opinions actually do matter because they can influence other people - people who may someday get an offer here or parents of someone who may get an offer here.

It sounds good to say we don't care what other people think (i.e. we don't need them), but college football is not recruited, played or evaluated in a vacuum. It is short-sighted to be that way.
But it you've followed this at all, the high school coach totally supports Johnson and Tech and most other comments have been along the same lines. That is, if you don't want to commit don't, but when you do we take you at your word, just as you can take us at ours. That's the right way to approach this and we've had mostly positive reaction from all sources I've seen. Those who want to play games with the process are probably people we don't want much to do with.

1.) We've learned that when Paul Johnson says tells a recruit something, he will follow through.
2.) See number 1. We don't over-recruit, we don't promise the moon, we don't dog on other programs. Our reputation in recruiting is probably a lot better than 90% of the programs out there.

\

We are listed as 35th, OM is 32nd, Arky is 25th. Clemson is the biggest anamoly at 13th and only ~17k students . Let's ask them how they do it.

Turn the state of Georgia into a huge cesspool of unemployment and illiteracy, with nothing to do other than college football (no professional sports, no huge attractions, etc.)?

Because that seems to be the game plan for Arkansas, South Carolina, and Mississippi.

Turn the state of Georgia into a huge cesspool of unemployment and illiteracy, with nothing to do other than college football (no professional sports, no huge attractions, etc.)?

Because that seems to be the game plan for Arkansas, South Carolina, and Mississippi.
--L O L--:laugher:---:fingersx:

U[sic]GA already has the market cornered on that. And yes, that is how Clemson does it. Notice how there are no big-time football schools in major cities.

U[sic]GA already has the market cornered on that. And yes, that is how Clemson does it. Notice how there are no big-time football schools in major cities.

At least in the south-east (or maybe east of Texas might be better way of saying.

Something that always enters into my fundamental evaluatory criteria when looking at Auburn (I spent twenty four well compensated months there that seemed like twenty four uber-boring years at the time), is that after you get yourself a frosty limeade at Toomers, worked out at the Kaz or S.W.A.T. Gym (where the concept of a fitness center "juice bar" took on a whole new meaning) and had a couple of tasty sandwiches at Cheeburger, Cheeburger, there's just not a whole lot left to do, particularly when compared to Atlanta or many other "real places".

When you're in Auburn / Opelika, you're” there” for sure and the beckoning metropoli of Montgomery AL and Columbus GA are maybe an hour drive and also don't come anywhere near the kind of destination location that can be enjoyed in Atlanta.

Then again, maybe that's just me.

Regardless, I personally admire the stance taken by CPJ and believe that personal integrity counts.

Something that always enters into my fundamental evaluatory criteria when looking at Auburn (I spent twenty four well compensated months there that seemed like twenty four uber-boring years at the time), is that after you get yourself a frosty limeade at Toomers, worked out at the Kaz or S.W.A.T. Gym (where the concept of a fitness center "juice bar" took on a whole new meaning) and had a couple of tasty sandwiches at Cheeburger, Cheeburger, there's just not a whole lot left to do, particularly when compared to Atlanta or many other "real places".

When you're in Auburn / Opelika, you're” there” for sure and the beckoning metropoli of Montgomery AL and Columbus GA are maybe an hour drive and also don't come anywhere near the kind of destination location that can be enjoyed in Atlanta.

Then again, maybe that's just me.

Regardless, I personally admire the stance taken by CPJ and believe that

Personal integrity counts.

Some recruits don't care about being in a big city. If that's all they cared about - why would any of them ever come to Statesboro?

What happened to Adamm Oliver and the radio show? It looks like it's Beebad's show now.

Back