Draft

The perception that our players can’t play due to the system they ran here hurt us on both ends (NFL and recruiting). It was a self fulfilling prophecy due to Groupthink by football minds more than anything else imo. But there was also little emphasis put on the NFL by our staff. Personally I think that’s how college football SHOULD be. But obviously that’s not the world we compete in. And I like the idea of competing at a high level and producing NFL talent.

I don’t think Shaq Mason is THAT much of an outlier for our program that we couldn’t have any other interior linemen taken especially in todays NFL where guards pull A LOT. Learning pass pro isn’t impossible for our linemen.

This speaks to the upside and downside of CPJ’s system. The upside is that he is a hell of an X and O coach and can win with middling talent. It’s really unbelievable that we won as much as we did.
The downside of course is that talent seems to run like hell to get away from his system.
"Run like hell"?? It is the same rationale that entices people to come or not to come to Georgia Tech for their education. If the school does provide you the developmental instruction that you need to pursue the career you want, why go there? You go where you can get the assistance, education, training, and knowledge to pursue your career goals. Triple option football was not helping kids get to the NFL.

"Run like hell"?? It is the same rationale that entices people to come or not to come to Georgia Tech for their education. If the school does provide you the developmental instruction that you need to pursue the career you want, why go there? You go where you can get the assistance, education, training, and knowledge to pursue your career goals. Triple option football was not helping kids get to the NFL.
Isn’t that pretty much what I said?

This speaks to the upside and downside of CPJ’s system. The upside is that he is a hell of an X and O coach and can win with middling talent. It’s really unbelievable that we won as much as we did.
The downside of course is that talent seems to run like hell to get away from his system.

All things considered, including QB play, he probably coached his butt off to win 7 last year.

CPJ was a great coach. But his style of offense did not speak to kids' NFL dreams. We'll just have to wait and see if playing to kids' NFL dreams equates to more wins. I think Tech will have to recruit top 25 consistently to stand a chance. So far so good. I'm optimistic.

A lot changed in college football from the time CPJ started at GT to the time he left. It will probably take a couple years but we will get back to putting talent in the NFL.

The perception that our players can’t play due to the system they ran here hurt us on both ends (NFL and recruiting). It was a self fulfilling prophecy due to Groupthink by football minds more than anything else imo. But there was also little emphasis put on the NFL by our staff. Personally I think that’s how college football SHOULD be. But obviously that’s not the world we compete in. And I like the idea of competing at a high level and producing NFL talent.

I don’t think Shaq Mason is THAT much of an outlier for our program that we couldn’t have any other interior linemen taken especially in todays NFL where guards pull A LOT. Learning pass pro isn’t impossible for our linemen.

Shaq is a pretty big outlier by NFL standards. I believe he is the shortest OL in the league, or at least was a couple years ago.

A lot changed in college football from the time CPJ started at GT to the time he left. It will probably take a couple years but we will get back to putting talent in the NFL.
This. When CPJ was hired, spread schemes were uncommon in college and barely utilized in the NFL. Lou Holtz and Lee Corso could still speak English semi-coherently. It was an entirely different era.

This. When CPJ was hired, spread schemes were uncommon in college and barely utilized in the NFL. Lou Holtz and Lee Corso could still speak English semi-coherently. It was an entirely different era.
Corso has really gone downhill the past five years. He needs to retire as one of the greats before all we remember of him is his slurred speech. Sad to see.

CPJ just never cared or was simply worn out trying to market or work to change the story with the offense. You're right that with the success recruiting should have become easier.

If CGC ever gets us to OBs and winning one of those, I have complete faith our follow up recruiting years would be historic. CPJ's kinda went *splat*, which shouldn't have been the case.

CPJ showed that average talent running a superior/unusual scheme can get results. The last few years showed that mediocre talent gets you mediocre results regardless of scheme.

CPJ just never cared or was simply worn out trying to market or work to change the story with the offense. You're right that with the success recruiting should have become easier.

If CGC ever gets us to OBs and winning one of those, I have complete faith our follow up recruiting years would be historic. CPJ's kinda went *splat*, which shouldn't have been the case.
Our biggest weakness under Gailey, and yes, I am a fan of Reggie, was our total inability to recruit a QB. How in the hell can you not get a excwptional QB when you have recruited Calvin Johnson and Demaryious Thomas?

BTW, I read Gailey was in attendance. True?

Our biggest weakness under Gailey, and yes, I am a fan of Reggie, was our total inability to recruit a QB. How in the hell can you not get a excwptional QB when you have recruited Calvin Johnson and Demaryious Thomas?

Well, if you believe the hindrances to CPJ's recruiting were CPJ didn't try to recruit and his scheme turned off players; would the same reasons be why CCG failed? No effort, bad scheme.

Then again, maybe there were additional reasons the recruiting was lackluster under both of our previous coaches.

Back