Duke Army Review

Thanks for sharing - looks like they will use the OLB to mix up the reads and mess up the blocking scheme. Hopefully, the simplified offense will work in our favor.

or am I... sometimes I get confused...

If the defense keeps GT in the game, I think the O can pull it off. They don't have to be perfect just keep us within 10 to 14 points.

But, if the defense does not and the O has to reach, then game over.

Duke is going to connect on some long balls and short passes. I think GT will hold and stop the run mostly. GT needs 5 stops, make them make 2 field goals, and get a turnover margin of 2 and hold them to 27 points.

Last edited:
Nice thread—good work on highlighting Duke’s alignments and movements pre and post snap.

@beej67 It looks exactly like GT V Duke 2017.

2017 GT scored on on all drives in the first half except one interception. The second half GT started passing and pressing and did not score again (Duke had very very few 3rd downs in the second half). Duke scored on every possession but one in this game. Almost like our game against Louisville.

Got to play our game, don't press, and get some stops.

The nice thing about Duke playing Army is we get a game on tape to plan against.
This is exactly what everyone overlooks. Yeah, Duke gets some experience dealing with a three-headed monster but we are the three-headed monster and we have three freaking heads and Duke only has one sword and now we know exactly what Duke does.

Great view of Duke’s good approach to shooting a linebacker into a gap to defend against the run. I was at that game and they defended the run well. But, receivers were wide open all night. A new Army QB got a lot of yards in the air.

I feel like every time I watch any of the service academies, they’re playing out of a tighter formation than we do.

Hopefully the def keeps making some strides.

Every defensive strategy should have an offensive adjustment, but it seems like a linebacker in our backfield right after the snap is kryptonite to a QB under center trying to run the option. How do we counter that?

Last edited:
Good blocking angles and practice and good communication and being ready for it... and knowing when your next man down has to pick up a blitz and knowing what you have to do because he is picking up a blitz.

The QB checking correctly and having enough time to check.

Missed blitzes and missed assignments because someone is picking up a blitz are drive killers.

Louisville tried blitzing, but they were not as quick as I think Duke is at blitzing. Louisville also had 8 to almost nine in the box, same as BG. Duke had 7 in the box for Army and GT 2017.

I’ll post this every time. This game will be about GT defense getting stops to keep the O from pressing.

Back