Duke Army Review

The second half of the Duke game last year was painful to watch. Was our offense not working because of poor execution, or did Duke change up their defense at halftime and we didn't adjust?

We've really struggled against Duke's quick-pass offense in recent years and I've seen not enough this year to make me think we'll be better against it. Big test for Woody. Can he scheme against Duke better than Roof has?

I agree with the people saying this will come down to getting stops on Duke and the offense not having to press

We have been playing reasonably soft the last couple of games in the secondary. Woody may have had more up his sleeve but didn't want to unleash it given the game situations we were in. I do think that our secondary is big and fast but not quick in closing on routes and cuts made by receivers. I do think we're going to roll more coverages as time goes along and try and create confusion on QB reads. The front is doing its part, but if the QB knows where the opening will be pre snap and can deliver quickly, the pressure won't hit. I'd like to think we can play some man or combo coverages and that our physical secondary could jam receivers and disrupt the quick routes. We might use LB more in early coverage for quick slants, etc. But I think Woody learned he needed to scale back.

The play us similar to Clemson/VT in terms of aggressiveness. With the mentality that they don’t mind giving up chunks of yards here and there as long as they can get a negative play to get us behind the chains at some point during the drive. And assuming we aren’t good enough to consistently hit open receivers before the pass rush gets home. Obviously they don’t have the athletes Clemson does so it won’t be as effective, but it’s the strategy I would use as a DC against us.

Even the great rushing day JT had against them in ‘16 was the result of a lot of QB draw/scramble plays. Whic they are susceptible to with the lack of speed/athleticism in their LB core.

But it’ll come down to TM hitting receivers. If he has a good day throwing we probably win. If he doesn’t we probably lose.

We have been playing reasonably soft the last couple of games in the secondary. Woody may have had more up his sleeve but didn't want to unleash it given the game situations we were in. I do think that our secondary is big and fast but not quick in closing on routes and cuts made by receivers. I do think we're going to roll more coverages as time goes along and try and create confusion on QB reads. The front is doing its part, but if the QB knows where the opening will be pre snap and can deliver quickly, the pressure won't hit. I'd like to think we can play some man or combo coverages and that our physical secondary could jam receivers and disrupt the quick routes. We might use LB more in early coverage for quick slants, etc. But I think Woody learned he needed to scale back.

Absolutely need to do this sort of stuff to disrupt quick passes. I don't believe that Woody has been holding back though. Why would he against USF? Clemson? Louisville game was contested until second half. We've just not defended quick passing game very well. Been shredded by multiple teams like usual.

Pass pressure has been better this year but still too soft against quick game. Under Roof we needed to be more aggressive attacking the QB AND be more aggressive in coverage. Bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble

Absolutely need to do this sort of stuff to disrupt quick passes. I don't believe that Woody has been holding back though. Why would he against USF? Clemson? Louisville game was contested until second half. We've just not defended quick passing game very well. Been shredded by multiple teams like usual.

Pass pressure has been better this year but still too soft against quick game

My problem with our defense against the quick snap is we are frequently looking to the sideline for a signal and then the ball is snapped before we’re in position.

Haven't posted here in a while, but migrated back over to check in on what @Longestdays put together for film (thanks for doing these).

Curious what you all think about seeing more of Oliver in this game. It seems like the QB Draw speed he brings might be helpful in some set plays / scenarios. I am NOT Advocating for TQM To not start by the way., just curious about maybe rolling with more of Oliver than just garbage time.

My problem with our defense against the quick snap is we are frequently looking to the sideline for a signal and then the ball is snapped before we’re in position.
That's happened multiple times but I question "frequently". Softness in coverage is the frequent problem

Our 3rd and 10 defense where we had only 3 linemen in front of the sticks and they got caught looking to the sideline was sad. Running back just ran straight ahead for 10. Even Roof wouldn't have been that soft. WTF defense was that. Should've called TO

That's happened multiple times but I question "frequently".

Our 3rd and 10 defense where we had only 3 linemen in front of the sticks and they got caught looking to the sideline was sad. Running back just ran straight ahead for 10. Even Roof wouldn't have been that soft. Should've called TO

3rd or 4th and short is even more infuriating.

I am not a big fan of the QB draw lately. Too many people in the box and the success rate seems limited. You have to be quick and good in space shiftiness.

TO seems like a more decisive down hill runner.

Pass pressure has been better this year but still too soft against quick game. Under Roof we needed to be more aggressive attacking the QB AND be more aggressive in coverage. Bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble

We held back in the last 2 games because of all the mistakes in games 2, 3, 4. I think we just weren't ready. I also think our defense against screens is pretty good. Tough to do and can always get free with a missed tackle, but that isn't a scheme or communication issue. Slants and such are another story. But I think that's also somewhat a personnel challenge. But I hope disrupting routes at the LOS could make a big difference. Need to slow the QB down and disrupt the ability to anticipate a pass without making a read or adjustment during the play.

The CB give cushion but give it up quickly. The intermediate routes are gone but we leave the deep and slants open.

I dont know about this next statement, but the LB seem to drop to deep when they do coverage.

I just wish we could cover up or make them guess a little more on the pass coverage.

Our 3rd and 10 defense where we had only 3 linemen in front of the sticks and they got caught looking to the sideline was sad. Running back just ran straight ahead for 10. Even Roof wouldn't have been that soft. WTF defense was that. Should've called TO

Yeah, I was kind of digging the initial look with the roaming DL, but once the ball got snapped, things got embarrassing real fast.

The first play was not a quick pitch, but just a speed option. Unless you were mentioning quick pitch if we run triple into it. The second play was really weird. I don't know why the qb pitched so early, he didn't seem to be looking at the dive key or pitch key. I think the third play was a triple. The DT beats the block and makes the play, but it looks like the DE was left unblocked and does not attack the dive.

The OLB blitz vs no blitz was interesting. Should open the counter dive.

It seemed like almost every play (except the pulling guard play) Duke made was them beating a block, not winning from a schematic advantage. Hopefully our OL is up for the task.

Every defensive strategy should have an offensive adjustment, but it seems like a linebacker in our backfield right after the snap is kryptonite to a QB under center trying to run the option. How do we counter that?

I was NOT impressed with the OL blocking by Army.It looked like us frankly--diving at feet, slow on cut-offs, flat missed assignments.Of course dook will make you do that.but-They ain't clepsum so we should have a counter.

@ibeattetris
  • 1st play was a triple option and the QB had to pitch quickly.
  • 2nd play was a triple and the QB was caught by surprise on the very fast cross charge by the OLB. It was a keep read but the bback was pushed into the QB and the QB decided to pitch.
  • 3rd play looks like a midline where the DT is left unblocked. The read was keep, but the QB gave (mis-read), and he was hit backside.
@AlaGold

The Army OL had trouble getting the blitz. Yes the Army OL had issues overall, much like our first game.

Maybe we are speaking about different plays on the first play. The one I quoted in response. This is the first play I see in the thread. The QB pitches to the BB and there is never a mesh. I don't see how this is triple. We should expect any speed option to be a quick pitch though, generally.

@ibeattetris
  • 3rd play looks like a midline where the DT is left unblocked. The read was keep, but the QB gave (mis-read), and he was hit backside.
I guess this is where it's hard without the play call. To me it looks like the OG tries and fails to block the DT who uses a swim move to get in to the second level. The OT on the other hand looks to be going to the second level from the snap.

Regardless, thanks for the posts and the clips. It's always nice to get these in smaller chunks (though the video series are always good).

Back