Duke Football and Perception of Their Fans

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I do agree with you on the defense of North Carolina. I think they will suffer defensively, but I think their offense will be better.

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
ahso,
Your post above was nothing short of 'FANTASTIC'.
I am sure you know what I mean.
One request, though, would there be anyway that you could warn us when you are going to post that kind of stuff so we would have time to get our boots on (preferably hip-boots).

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I like your use of the word "Fantastic". I knew I could draw you back to the board again. If I keep this up, I will challenge BullDog to a fishing duel.

Who needs boots, I typed it while standing in the chair with my feet off the floor.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
Beeware is all wet. But it is amusing to have a pessimistic, negative, "Bill Lewis flashback" poster for point/counterpoint. The glass is half full, not half empty.

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
Originally posted by FHstinger:
Beeware is all wet. But it is amusing to have a pessimistic, negative, "Bill Lewis flashback" poster for point/counterpoint. The glass is half full, not half empty.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">stinger,
I think the term is realistic......just don't buy into all this gold colored glasses "Chan is God" talk. Chan is a lot more likely to be another Bill Lewis than he is to being the savior.
Just too bad we have to suffer through it...especially when it was not necessary.

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Beeware -
Just curious...You have now carried this obsession for several months....To be serious here for a second - do you think its healthy ?
Maybe its just time to move on ? Its over and done....Why keep repeating the same thought process over and over and over and over ?
What good does it do ?

I'm sure you'll be happy if next year or the next is a complete bust - then you'll have the complete satisfaction with having been right...And I'm sure you won't hesitate to remind us - possibly as repetetively as you've posted on the CG hiring process......

We ALL know exactly how you feel on this topic, believe me...So why not streamline and just say
"everything I've said before", and save the keystrokes ?

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
Originally posted by Gold Rush:
Beeware -
Just curious...You have now carried this obsession for several months....To be serious here for a second - do you think its healthy ?
Maybe its just time to move on ? Its over and done....Why keep repeating the same thought process over and over and over and over ?
What good does it do ?

I'm sure you'll be happy if next year or the next is a complete bust - then you'll have the complete satisfaction with having been right...And I'm sure you won't hesitate to remind us - possibly as repetetively as you've posted on the CG hiring process......

We ALL know exactly how you feel on this topic, believe me...So why not streamline and just say
"everything I've said before", and save the keystrokes ?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold Rush,
Good to hear from you again too.

Looks like you might be more obsessed with my opinion than I am. As you may know this is not the hive so different opinions are welcome here.
And as far as your ridiculous comment about wanting the season to bust, I shouldn't even comment on something that blatantly ridiculous.
The point is as long as we are continually bombarded with this 'Chan is God' jargon, I am going to continue to point out what a total bunch of bunk that really is.
And one last point.....even Gan Chailey can't mess up the talent that O'leary left us with this year...so calm down....take your Prozac if you need to....and enjoy the discussion.

pjjacket

Flats Noob
Sure will be glad when the season arrives so one can find out which opinion of CG is valid.

Duke hasn't had this much fan perception since the 1942 Rose Bowl @ Durham. Isn't this the topic?

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
pj,
That is the scary part. We won't know for several years and then it will be too late.

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Beeware, I can assure you that I make a comment on about every 2-3 dozen of your identical posts...Hardly obsessive IMO...

In all seriousness, maybe you should see a doctor about this condition of yours

Culb

Varsity Lurker
Beeware,

The only one who says anything remotely like "Chan is God" is you. I've seen people say he's a good coach. But nothing near the magnitude you have been making it out to be. Is he a good coach? He has been in the past. Will he be here? Remains to be seen. Period.

As for wether you want the season to be bust next year, well, all your talk certainly seems to point that that's where you would like it to be, and that it's what you expect for a few years down the road. Do not pass go, Jackets fail. Your comments have made me wonder many a time wether or not you are a Tech fan or not.

Finally, in your own words, this is NOT the Hive. Other people's opinions are WELCOME here. I don't see anyone trying to stifle YOURS. You are the one who keeps reminding others of this, and you bring it up whenever anyone disagrees with your opinions.

If you expect to be able to post YOUR opinions here, regarding Chan or even other posters, then remember that they have that same right to post their opinions about you.

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
culb,
I welcome all opinions. Not sure why you want to make this so personal. I have probably had season tickets to TECH games longer than you have been alive. It is ludicrous to think I want TECH to fail just because Dave Braine made such a poor choice. I repeat, even Gan Chailey can't mess up the talent that O'leary left.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Originally posted by Culb:
Beeware,

The only one who says anything remotely like "Chan is God" is you. I've seen people say he's a good coach. But nothing near the magnitude you have been making it out to be. Is he a good coach? He has been in the past. Will he be here? Remains to be seen. Period.

As for wether you want the season to be bust next year, well, all your talk certainly seems to point that that's where you would like it to be, and that it's what you expect for a few years down the road. Do not pass go, Jackets fail. Your comments have made me wonder many a time wether or not you are a Tech fan or not.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Culb,
Look. I'm the last one to agree with Beeware on CG or DB or Mac. I'll tell you right now I think Beeware is flat wrong in this issue. But, I don't think we need to start questioning whether he's a Jacket or not. That's not fair. He is a Jacket with an opinion that differs from ours. You won't find uniformity of opinions about coaches ever. So take it easy on him in this regard. We're all Jacket fans and we want to see them do well. Let's just pray that Beeware is wrong on this issue...but don't question another's loyalty to Tech. I think that's unfair for a board like Stingtalk. Just MHO.

Culb

Varsity Lurker
The reason I made that post on Friday was twofold. First, I had just gotten in a spat with a co-worker and was pretty upset. Also, Beeware's never ending negativity got to me a bit. I don't like to see anyone put Tech down. If someone does it enough, I get the impression they don't like Tech. I apologize if I said anything out of line.

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
Originally posted by Culb:
The reason I made that post on Friday was twofold. First, I had just gotten in a spat with a co-worker and was pretty upset. Also, Beeware's never ending negativity got to me a bit. I don't like to see anyone put Tech down. If someone does it enough, I get the impression they don't like Tech. I apologize if I said anything out of line.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't see where you come up with this "putting tech down." I am a lifetime TECH fan. I do not like what Dave Braine did to our previous staff. I think that will give Tech a long term black eye to treat such loyal and productive coaches so callously. And i think that Chan Gailey is about as mediocre a pick for a coach as we could possibly have gotten. But I will be there supporting the Jackets this year just like I have for the last half century.
Everyone doesn't have to toe the Dave "without a" Braine and Gan Chailey line to be a TECH fan.
Just my opinion.

Buzzfan

Flats Noob
beeware

I won't bother discussing the coaching issue with you, but it's about time you at least rose above the adolescent habit of referring to our new coach as "Gan Chailey". Your opinions might start to carry some semblance of credibility if you were to impart them without such infantile gibberish. Namecalling and insults (and, yes, intentional name-butchering is an insult and a personal affront) belongs on (and with the denizens of) places like the dawgvent.....not a board dedicated to Georgia Tech. Thanks.

GO JACKETS!!!

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
BeeWare, although you and I differ on the change over to the new guards, you do come back occasionally with some clever answers. The last one was pretty tricky!

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
Originally posted by ahsoisee:
BeeWare, although you and I differ on the change over to the new guards, you do come back occasionally with some clever answers. The last one was pretty tricky!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
Thanks for the compliment....I think!?!?!

We do differ completely on the coaching change at tech...everything from the selection to how it was handled before and after.
But, we are both Tech fans, and we have kept it good natured and in the proper spirit for the most part.
Regardless, I do enjoy conversing with you and reading your posts...even if we seldom agree.
By the way, are you aware that your buddy Chan is in north ga tomorrow tonight??

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
buzzfan,
Good to hear from you. I will have to defer to your expertise in "name-calling, insults, and/or infantile gibberish".
GO JACKETS!!!

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
What a Thread !!! How did we get from the original "Duke" issue to the coaching issue again... anyway... I think its great to have all of the different opinions that we do... and from what I have read, all have merit... I agree with Beeware, to an extent, I too do not think that the coaching change was handled correctly by Braine... I was disappointed, but that is only based on what I know... I do think Braine made the right hire, not because CG is God, but because I think he was the better candidate for the job... O'Leary did leave alot of talent.. but we also had alot of talent last year, even the experts thought so, but we learned that it was possible to lose with exceptional talent... I have also learned that coaching is more of a key than most want to realize (Lou Holtz has had two straight 8+ win seasons, something SC didnt do but 4 times since 1892)... to me, the bottom line is that I dont have to like the way Braine handled things, but I give my full support to the new staff, and I do think that a few years from now we will be glad to have had Gailey...

Now, as far as the original post ... I think the Duke and losing perception all boils down to expectations.. if you expect to win, you will find a way to win.. .if you expect and accept losing, then you probably will.... GT accepted losing after the Dodd years... and wanted to blame it on everything from academics, coaches, to lack of facilities, whatever... but the bottom line is, I dont think anyone really cared about winning.. I do believe that if winning were expected... the administration, fanbase, alumni, etc. would have done something to stop the bleeding... In my own opinion, from 1967 until the time that Homer Rice came on campus.. we had a poor showing in terms of our AD... the job just wasnt done, and as a result, most accepted losing.