Dwags gonna dwag

I’ll ask a couple dumb questions

Why is there a market that supports those costs? What is the appreciation? What drives the cost? Material? Workmanship? Design? When is a watch no longer a watch?
Damn you gonna get @gtphd started. Damn.

LawfulWindyIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

I just remembered a summer school class in Georgia where this supposedly successful business dude came to guest teach one day. He passed his Rolex around the class. Have thought fancy watch people are lame ever since

I just remembered a summer school class in Georgia where this supposedly successful business dude came to guest teach one day. He passed his Rolex around the class. Have thought fancy watch people are lame ever since

I don't have any problem with people liking expensive watches. It's just amusing when they feel the need to stress how expensive their watch is. If you're having to explain to someone why something is valuable, it's probably because the value isn't all that apparent or relevant to most people.

I’ll ask a couple dumb questions

Why is there a market that supports those costs? What is the appreciation? What drives the cost? Material? Workmanship? Design? When is a watch no longer a watch?

:dunno: There just is. You could ask the same question about why there are paintings that run for millions of dollars when an imperceivable different knockoff goes for a few thousand, or why some Persian Rugs go for $100k, or why diamonds are worth what they are.

Appreciation varies by the watch. Rolex and Patek appreciation faster than others in my experience. It's better than inflation, but not something where I'd make a career out of investing in watches (though some people do). Material can affect it (the gold - steel divide has grown over recent years as gold has appreciated), design has an impact (Panerai have appreciated more recently because they're in-style), but mostly it's about the name and how rare the watch is. Patek's cost so much because each model is a limited run. Rolex makes tons of watches, but their branding and advertising have built name recognition. When does it stop being a watch? At about $1,000.

It's not for everyone, but they're nice looking and fun to shop for. You can buy one with little risk of losing your money. Buy certain models (anything Rolex) and it can be more liquid that most things. If you can afford the cost of capital, it's not a bad investment.

You find people like that everyone. If the first Tech graduate you met was Coit, would you think Tech graduates are lame from that point forward?

:dunno: There just is. You could ask the same question about why there are paintings that run for millions of dollars when an imperceivable different knockoff goes for a few thousand, or why some Persian Rugs go for $100k, or why diamonds are worth what they are.

Appreciation varies by the watch. Rolex and Patek appreciation faster than others in my experience. It's better than inflation, but not something where I'd make a career out of investing in watches (though some people do). Material can affect it (the gold - steel divide has grown over recent years as gold has appreciated), design has an impact (Panerai have appreciated more recently because they're in-style), but mostly it's about the name and how rare the watch is. Patek's cost so much because each model is a limited run. Rolex makes tons of watches, but their branding and advertising have built name recognition. When does it stop being a watch? At about $1,000.

It's not for everyone, but they're nice looking and fun to shop for. You can buy one with little risk of losing your money. Buy certain models (anything Rolex) and it can be more liquid that most things. If you can afford the cost of capital, it's not a bad investment.

They obviously leaving money on the table. They should make more.

Back