Each of us needs to work to see this happen!!

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
I wrote this on the hive, but I think we're much more passionate here...I'll probably send this to my friends in the cheerleading squad too.

We need to make this happen.
--------------------------------------------------
But I think we've caused a lot of our problems.

Our gameday experience is horrid.

Tailgating is great..if you get there on the day of the game.
But I'm getting used to 2 days before to 12 hours after here in g-ville.

One thing I wish we could do is have that stadium full 29 minutes before kickoff, with the crowd doing cheers.

Honestly, the best part of Florida gameday is the band(which sucks) taking the field. and Both sides of the Crowd cheering
"Gimme the orange, orange, orange....Gimme the blue, blue, blue"

I wanna hear the Wreck'Em Tech cheer as soon as I hit the portal. I wanna hear White...Gold...then Yellow...Jackets...

I wanna see the four sections spelling T-E-C-H in the round like Kentucky with the Cats cheer.

We've got to get to the point that we make noise from start to finish and for that 3 hours nothing is more important than winning the Game.

At the end I wanna hear the stadium sing To HELL with Georgia...the Alma Mater...and Horse.

Then we'll prove we're the best football school in the state

I agree with 9 of your 10. The only thing I disagree with is with say 2 mins left and you are facing a 4 to 5 hour drive home leaving a few mins early and avoiding all the traffic at BDS means the difference between a max of 5 hours to home and 6 or maybe 6 1/2 hour drive home.

Hey Crackerjacket I agree with everything but commandment #3. I don't care what the fan wears ,just show up and support the team!
drinking.gif

leaving before the game is over is a pet peeve of mine. however, i live in midtown atlanta.

i can appreciate oldfoggy's predicament. i'd rather have the presence of oldfoggy and people like him for 58 minutes of the football game than 0.

Ops forgot to say that now that I live in San Antonio Tx. I'll be flying in for 4 or 5 games so it'll be no problem but when I lived in south Huntsville it was a problem.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Ops forgot to say that now that I live in San Antonio Tx. I'll be flying in for 4 or 5 games so it'll be no problem but when I lived in south Huntsville it was a problem.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That made for a long day I'm sure when you lived in AL.

It's really awesome to here you living in TX able to make that many games.

I agree with 9 of your 10. The only thing I disagree with is with say 2 mins left and you are facing a 4 to 5 hour drive home leaving a few mins early and avoiding all the traffic at BDS means the difference between a max of 5 hours to home and 6 or maybe 6 1/2 hour drive home.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry oldfoggy...leaving early is something I draw
a hard line on. Walking out of the stadium is an
insult to the players on the field IMHO, while any
time is left on the clock.

I generally watch the teams leave the field and
listen to the band after the games. Of course, I
have a tailgate to go back to after games and only
an hour drive home.

Big kudos to you for making the trip back for games.

Can understand with family, children, and such needing to beat the traffic. One thing we all need to be thankful for is it's SO easy to get out of BDS, get to car, and hit the HW leaving a game compared to many other places I've been. There are some here that have been to AU games. Where it's better now since the road can handle more traffic, that use to be something leaving after a game. Still is compared to BDS. Of man, there is one road entering and leaving VA Tech. That beat anything I've ever seen with the time it took to get back to hotel just off interstate. That was hours after most people had left. It's like that numerous places.

There are circumstances why people need to leave early. I do understand that.

What's up with the students these days coming to games late and leaving early for example.

In 70's and early 80's my parents were in control of when we got there and left. We were always really early traveling from out of town many of those years. My sister wasn't born till 73. They had her to consider as she was not attending games much really. Just wasn't her thing when she was old enough. Now we'd leave some games early. Our family has discussed this through the years. The only time we ever left early was because my father got ticked off.
wink.gif
Had nothing to do with other commitments. On game day our commitment was there. Now when it started being my decision was when I was old enough to drive and my brother was at GT. Since that time I've left one game early. Regret it to this day. That was 93? when we played poorly against Duke at home. We were fighting amongst ourselves at halftime on sideline. Believe that's the year. Might have been 94. Anyway, since 73 I've missed 5 home games at BDS. I know people who have missed fewer games than that over a much longer period of time.

In my experience some schools come early and stay late because that's their general priority. Now when it comes to family matters sometimes it's better not to be there early and stay late. Understand that. There are always exceptions to anything.

With all this I stated I want game days at BDS to bee a real event. Not just the game itself, but making it a more festive and exiting environment surrounding the game itself, which is the focal point. Other schools do it. Not that anyone else is the standard. I've just enjoyed going other places when it's that type of environment. The "event" itself can be a huge draw, and can have a great deal to do with the fan base. Most of all....it's really a heck of a lot of fun.

Good post GTg8r. Thanks!

Thanks GTT, it would take Hell and Hi water to keep me from TECH. Speaking of leaving early, had I not left the BYU game with 1 min about 20 sec. I would have been in the heaviest rain I had seen in many years and still got stopped up some where near the Atl by pass (whats the number 285) due to flooding and if I had waited that extra few mins it probably would have taken me 7 to 8 hours back to HSV and it still took me 6 hours to HSV. It started to come down in buckets as soon as I got near I 75/85.

I have restrained myself enough on this topic. Although, I give a thumbs up to those who are trying to build attendance and create excitement around the game, it must be understood that different Tech fans have different priorities in life.

I am not trying to throw cold water on any attempt to build enthusiasm, but must insert a note of sanity to the each person's own "Ten commandments Of Tech Football".

When I was younger and did not know that much about life, sports consumed the greatest portion of my life. I had no idea about the priorities of life, since I was young and had little experience about life.

At one time, a job was part of the priorities, but since I am retired, it dropped from the list completely. My priorities at present are God, wife, children, grandchildren, friends, neighbors, needs of others, the home, reading, computer, Tech sports, etc.

While I am still an avid Tech sports fan (have been for over 50 years), Tech sports is something I enjoy very much when I have the time and can fit it in. It is not the driving force of my life at this time.

Each person has there own priorities and as they mature and age, those priorities change. Many of you will understand as the new priorities take place in your lives.

For those of you whe are trying to build enthusiasm for the program, I laud your efforts, but caution you on trying to fit others into your own mold. Your priorities are your's and do not belong to anyone else.

Many of the things you treat as most important to your life, may be relatively insignificant to the next person.

wink.gif

Thanks GTT, it would take Hell and Hi water to keep me from TECH. Speaking of leaving early, had I not left the BYU game with 1 min about 20 sec. I would have been in the heaviest rain I had seen in many years and still got stopped up some where near the Atl by pass (whats the number 285) due to flooding and if I had waited that extra few mins it probably would have taken me 7 to 8 hours back to HSV and it still took me 6 hours to HSV. It started to come down in buckets as soon as I got near I 75/85.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh yeah...I'll never forget that rain storm.

We spent a few hours after the game huddled under
tailgating canopies trying not to get blown away
or electrocuted. We weren't able to break down
and pack up until the rain stopped.
shocked.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

For those of you whe are trying to build enthusiasm for the program, I laud your efforts, but caution you on trying to fit others into your own mold. Your priorities are your's and do not belong to anyone else.

Many of the things you treat as most important to your life, may be relatively insignificant to the next person.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You make some good points.

However, noone will ever convince me that there is
any real reason to leave with a few minutes on
the clock...short of a medical emergency or threat
to public safety.

Two minutes don't make that much of a difference.

If you don't want to deal with the crowds walking
out then stay in your seats until it clears out. I
listen to Horse after football and basketball games
for just that reason.

Just my opinion, agree or not.
smile.gif

Regardless of babysitters' schedules and traffic.....I feel its rude to leave early, whether its class, church, or football games. If you have higher priorities, tend to them and read about the game in the ajc the next day.

"First ones here, and last ones to leave!"

Go Jackets!

CDE, I have used flights thru DFW however, I really like Delta since I can go direct from SA to Atlanta. Who knows what I may get this year as us retired OF's don't have as much $ as we had when we were working. I'll also probably drive once so that I can visit my family in Charlotte NC as well as Huntsville.

Cropduster, you have the right to feel the way you do, but it does not mean you are correct. It is your opinion and is equal to everyone else's opinion.

Are you telling fans to stay home if they can't stay the last couple of minutes of a game. I hope the Tech administration never hires you to promote attendance for the games.

Your statement, "the first ones here and the last ones to leave", whoo-poopie-doo!

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

Are you telling fans to stay home if they can't stay the last couple of minutes of a game. I hope the Tech administration never hires you to promote attendance for the games.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HUH? Because I would encourage them to stay till the end and storm the field after a big victory and sing Ramblin Wreck with the players and give high fives to all the other fans who stayed and enjoy setting the tailgate back up to celebrate a GT win?........

By all means ahsoisee, leave whenever you want to, but I'll stay and enjoy my Saturday night at BDS!

Cheer loud, drink whiskey clear, and stay till the end! Go Jackets!

Cropduster, I think it is great that you stay late and tailgate. I am not trying to tell you to do anything else.

All I am saying, "someone else's enjoyment of the game need not be the same as your method of enjoyment.

You made the claim that those who do not want to stay until after the game should stay home and read about it in the papers. That is the reason I made the statement, "I hope you are never hired to promote attendance at the games".

I would not begin to try to tell you how to enjoy the games, nor how long to stay at the games. I think that is your business and your's alone.

smile.gif

CDE, when my dad was here with us I'd stay till the cows came home but we also lived in Fla. and had to spend the night somewhere so an extra hour or 2 no difference. But when I lived what you might say is commuting distance that extra meinute or 2 made a big and I do mean big difference. Thanks Ahso.

Back