Ethical or unethical oversigning by Johnson?

Two players left the team before spring practice: Cheeks and O'Reilly. I heard that one of these dismissals was not a mutual decision--the staff told the player they weren't going to play him.

Is it ethical to cut players like this, to make room for new players you oversigned? I am thinking no. I understand they were both set to graduate in spring, but if one of them was going to take up a scholarship in fall, they must have wanted to continue their education.

I'm sure some won't care but at Tech we have always believed in winning the right way.
Well, the "I heard" is really a table setter for an opinion. Who said it? But even if somebody said it, what is said is they wouldn't "play him". No mention of yanking a scholarship. This is done all the time everywhere and is completely ethical. A guy can stay, get his degree, and be cannon fodder. But he's not good enough to play. (One could extrapolate the argument to say it in fact can help a player who honestly feels he can play. He has notice and can go elsewhere to prove it.) I assume GT does as all major schools do after a season, evaluate each player and have a sit down in preparation for next season. And the problem would be, what?

I stopped reading after you said, "I heard" with no link or cited source, but don't let me get in the way of you spreading unfounded rumors.

This. PJ has repeatedly said he believes when a school commits to a player and the player commits back, then it is over. The player has the scholly no matter what. I don't see him deviating from this policy absent significant circumstances.

All of this.

The one thing unequivocally that former players say about CPJ is that he is honest and upfront with them.

Instead, we get zulu 'tardin' up the board w/this nonsense. Congrats, you got your reactions.

This thread is like questioning the Supreme Leader in North Korea. Sorry, CPJ is infallible and could not possibly do wrong--what was I thinking.

This thread is like questioning the Supreme Leader in North Korea. Sorry, CPJ is infallible and could not possibly do wrong--what was I thinking.

Who got strapped to a post and hit with a mortar?

You must also consider that there may not be a graduate program at Tech that wants the kid either. Recall a few years ago when our MBA program, a top 20 national program, didn't admit some student-athletes although it had admitted others. Some transferred. There wasn't a problem with that, and the situation is largely analogous. The football scholarship is for an undergraduate education.

I remember we had a starting Guard that graduated and wanted to go to grad school but GT did not admit him to the MBA program. I forget his name. He was a false start machine though. Played his last year at Ga State I think.

Again, the kid in question will get his degree while on scholarship. If he wants another free year, why is it unethical to not allow it if we want to use the scholly on someone else? Answer the ööööing question or stop bleeding your vagina on the board.

Again, the kid in question will get his degree while on scholarship. If he wants another free year, why is it unethical to not allow it if we want to use the scholly on someone else? Answer the ööööing question or stop bleeding your vagina on the board.

The point of the thread was to raise the question, not accuse PJ of doing wrong. It sounded bad on the surface: We oversigned, then a kid was forced off the team without having done anything wrong (if the report is to be believed).

The only problem I see with it now, given that they are set to graduate in spring, is if they don't graduate on time. (When I was at Tech I remember having to pass a bunch of classes my last semester or it would take another semester to graduate.) Then they don't get any financial support, but other upperclassman players who get to stay on football scholarship do, even if they don't graduate on time. So it would basically be penalizing the kid academically for not being good enough at football. It is maybe not an issue though if we would keep the player on scholarship to finish during summer if he didn't finish in spring.

. It sounded bad on the surface:

Here is where you're in the land of Oz or something. Maybe you believe Alice in Wonderland is true because you read it.

You're making something of nothing. Maybe you should become a reporter for the AJC.

Two players left the team before spring practice: Cheeks and O'Reilly. I heard* that one of these dismissals was not a mutual decision--the staff told the player they weren't going to play him.

Is it ethical to cut players like this, to make room for new players you oversigned? I am thinking no. I understand they were both set to graduate in spring, but if one of them was going to take up a scholarship in fall, they must have wanted to continue their education.

I'm sure some won't care but at Tech we have always believed in winning the right way.

*I'm told the source on this was a Rivals practice report.

Are you an idiot? The answer is YES! Both were 5th year players who have finished their 4 year degrees... They were not going to be on scholly..... If they wanted to come back and play without a scholly then they could have..

It is not like these guys were 2 years into the process and kicked off the team....And the Coaches were being honest... Hey there are more talented kids than you on the team... Come back as a non scholly add depth, or go and seek a new football team were you can start as a 5th year player!!! Are you a Bulldog fan...:hsughcry:

Last edited:

square-of-opposition.jpg

Back