Excellent post about Gailey...

CrackerJacket

Flats Noob
I don't normally link across boards but I'd love
to see Beeware try to debate with Techbert. I
think ole 'bert would slam dunk him.
wink.gif

Techbert's Impressions of CCG

I have said all along that it is completely illogical that a tenured NFL OC cannot run a successful college offense.

I am glad that CG has his OWN ship now and can be judged accordingly. I TRULY HOPE he is successful b/c this place is damn depressing when we are losing.

It looks like the BB team has turned the corner I just hope the FB team can do the same

Interesting piece by Techbert.

Here we are in the winter of our discontent. Added perspectives, different analysis, will not change many opinions here. That will only come when the 2003 season kicks off.

Every win will increase the Gailey supporters. I might add, some of us who fell off the Gailey bandwagon AFTER the UGA game (as opposed to before he walked thru the front door) might become more supportive even with losses, if the team plays well and beats the odds.

Yes there are a few issues before kickoff that will lead to tea leaf reading, the hiring of an OC, the spring practice results, the direction CG takes with the QB position, both players and the assigned QB coaching staff, a few late ship offers, but that's really about it until the fall.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
I might add, some of us who fell off the Gailey bandwagon AFTER the UGA game (as opposed to before he walked thru the front door) might become more supportive even with losses, if the team plays well and beats the odds.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71,
Kind of like society as a whole, some are more perceptive, or quicker to perceive, than others.

I actually read THE resume; so, unfortunately, I had a good idea of what was headed our way.

I have been a die-hard TECH fan for nearly 50 years; and it sickened me that the progress that Coach O'leary had brought us back from the depths with, was going to be squandered by someone that didn't have a clue about coaching Division 1 football. It was just a terrible time at TECH to have someone trying to learn the job on the fly (contrast that to what the FRIDGE did at Maryland in his first year, with less talent).

I just thought it would take longer for disaster to strike...but it struck back in November over in Athens by 51-7 (or as the ugag fans like to say 6:09 )....with a follow up in Silicon Valley and then followed by a 51st ranking in recruiting.

It may make some feel better that, as we left the stadium after being historically stomped by our bitter rival, that many of the ugag fans were having their fun and blowing their smoke about how great Chan Gailey was going to be and how we should be sure and keep him...wink...wink.

Hopefully, we can win some in spite of him this year...we certainly have the talent to do it. I would expect a minimum 10 win year if the FRIDGE were here.

"Keep hope alive".
--Jesse Jackson

This was a good post on the Hive well thought out. Anyone who lives in the SEast, Georgia in particular, who is up on the latest new of Tech could easily debate BW and win but then again I think some on this board want for CG to fail badly so they can then say FOC I told you so and we have now about 1000 post or so of one idividual saying I told you already.

There can be no doubt, "the performance of the 2002 football team was less than was expected by the Tech faithful".

However, there is doubt as to the problems causing the missed expectations.

Techbert mentions some players quitting on Gailey, which I am convinced did happen. With 20+ new faces ready to do battle with the 15 recruited by Gailey last year, there will be ample numbers to contend for all positions.

If a player or players fail to give their best, they can be quickly sent to the bench and possibly transfer to another school. If my hunch is right, those that sided, in sympathy, with BOB against Gailey, will be winging it on their own if they continue.

The absence of O'Brien will also help in this area. I have followed college football for 50+ years and have seen the same thing happen to many football teams in the first year of a head coaching change, especially when assistants are retained that are popular with the players.

That is one reason most coaches are given 3-5 years to get their own players in the program.

It does not happen to all teams because of different relationships between the coaches retained and the new coach. Many times a new coach will not keep any left-overs, but will go with an entire new staff. Now, the reason should be clear.

Personally, the only coach I would have retained from the old staff would have been Spencer. I think he will prove to be invaluable in the long run. I do not think he would allow any disension to crop up between he and Gailey.

Will Gailey succeed next year and in the future. I don't know, but he will not have one hand tied behind his back this coming year. It will be interesting, and, hopefully, the trend will be upward. Gailey now has no excuses.

I say Techbert's article points out a lot of practical answers to some of the many questions asked on both boards. I am sure Techbert agrees, he will have to watch and wait like the rest of us to see how the situation plays out.

I am looking for the best and hoping for the best this year, but have some cause for concern due to last years performance. However, I will be pulling for Gailey and Tech.

smile.gif

Originally posted by law_bee:

I am glad that CG has his OWN ship now and can be judged accordingly. I TRULY HOPE he is successful b/c this place is damn depressing when we are losing.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He had his OWN ship last year. I just don't buy into the notion that Braine hired Gailey and said, "Oh by the way, you are going to keep BOB as your OC." Gailey doesn't strike me as that type of person. He retained BOB because he thought it was best for the program. He could have hired somebody else and chose not to.

The frustrating thing is the length and the expense of his learning curve to the college game. I admire the fact he can admit he was ill prepared for college ball and the players' mindset. Hopefully he has learned enough to be successful this upcoming season.

Beeware, I think you and ylojk8 share a common problem, both of you Tech Fans are too emotionally attached to Chan Gailey
wink.gif

Doppleganger twins?

i hope i am wrong but, if i were a betting man, i would bet we win maybe 5 games this upcoming season and the alumni is going to go ballistic. chan will never take this program where we want it to bee. chan will never defeat mark richt. chan will not be here after the 2003 season. if i am wrong serve me the biggest order of crow you can find.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

I say Techbert's article points out a lot of practical answers to some of the many questions asked on both boards. I am sure Techbert agrees, he will have to watch and wait like the rest of us to see how the situation plays out.

I am looking for the best and hoping for the best this year, but have some cause for concern due to last years performance. However, I will be pulling for Gailey and Tech.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree entirely, ahso.
Techbert sounds like a Tech fan and a football fan.

Foggy, I agree that there are people on this board and the Tech community who want Gailey to fail. It's absolutely sickening to know that there are "fans" who want a coach to fail for their own personal glory rather than have him work to compete for championships. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that our depth and QB talent were vastly overrated, and that's not Chan's fault. I'll be glad when these "fans" leave Tech, and we can come together to support Georgia Tech...not work to tear it down.

Beeware, I think you ...... are too emotionally attached to Chan Gailey
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71,
To clarify, I am not emotionally attached to Chan Gailey whatsoever. If he was doing what he is doing now....but if he was doing it to Dallas or ugag or somebody else ...I couldn't care less.

But since he is doing it TO Tech, that is THE problem I have with him.

And it is silly, as has been suggested by others, that one has to blindly follow Chan Gailey off the cliff to be a TECH fan.

Everyone here will support any Georgia Tech coach if he wins on a consistent basis and doesn't let there teams fall apart - that's not even an issue. As I've said before, none of us would be here (even Beeware) if we didn't support this school and its athletic programs.

Our passion transcends logic sometimes, but when it's all said and done - this coach like everyone before him, has to get the job done. If that means putting his own men in place, if that means changing the offense scheme or defensive scheme, if that means a more "hands on" attitude/approach and learning the college ropes - let's just do it.

I'll always be on the Tech bandwagon but I reserve my feelings for coaches until I see what they can do and accomplish. I hope this ship gets righted for all the reasons everyone has already posted, no one likes losing!

Originally posted by Indian Buzz:
Foggy, I agree that there are people on this board and the Tech community who want Gailey to fail. It's absolutely sickening to know that there are "fans" who want a coach to fail for their own personal glory rather than have him work to compete for championships. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that our depth and QB talent were vastly overrated, and that's not Chan's fault. I'll be glad when these "fans" leave Tech, and we can come together to support Georgia Tech...not work to tear it down.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">indianbuzz.

I agree we all should support the players. They are kids trying to make it thru Tech while playing a demanding sport for no pay. The coaching staff are big men and know they will be judged more closely and differently by most Tech fans than the players. It comes with the job and the big $$$. Sure we should support them and hope they are very successful, but that doesn’t mean we have to overlook their failures either.

If you are a new poster, I have been critical of Gailey since the UGA game and I still have my doubts long-term. But I am wishing him the best not hoping for his failure. I think this applies to most Tech fans that have been critical of Gailey.

But, some enthusiastic coach supporters are bordering on wanting to run everyone off who doesn't think or share the same opinions they do.

Tech has broad enough shoulders to carry many different backgrounds and perspectives; even a few that seem to be out-of-bounds. In the long run, we will be richer for it.

Meanwhile, just watch Gailey’s support grow as the team starts winning a few games this fall.

I for one, will be happy to eat the crow (while I’m cheering for Tech).

A registered Choctaw and Tech fan-----

I don't know who you think you're kidding, beeware. You were extremely negative about CG from the day he was hired. It has nothing to do with last season. 71bee has you pegged.

As for "blindly following Chan," just exactly who has said anything more radical than,"As long as he's our coach, I'll support him"? Doesn't sound blind to me. Criticizing him is one thing, being disappointed in the last two seasons is universal; but you and one or two others have gone beyond that, into some sort of personal hostility that seems unwarranted.

beeware said

I have been a die-hard TECH fan for nearly 50 years
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Birth Date: 01-01-1955...you have been alive for nearly 50 years. When did your allegiance to Tech begin?

Originally posted by spellingbee:
beeware said

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have been a die-hard TECH fan for nearly 50 years
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Birth Date: 01-01-1955...you have been alive for nearly 50 years. When did your allegiance to Tech begin?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Some from birth. Don't forget, many of those are dog years (7 for 1).
wink.gif

I've read the board for a long time, and my post really wasn't directed at you b/c I understand the need for all opinions, and you've also been very forthcoming in your hopes that Chan will win. I agree that things haven't been real great since he got here, but I've met him, and I firmly believe that he will succeed. I totally agree that Tech (and our boards) are big enough for all opinions, and all opinions are welcome. However, I think we have to realize that not all posters feel the same way that you do. Thanks for setting me straight.

Beeware, I think you and ylojk8 share a common problem, both of you Tech Fans are too emotionally attached to Chan Gailey
wink.gif

Doppleganger twins?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee .. i am not emotionally attached to Chan Gailey. i am however more than just emotionally attached to Tech.

fact is that Gailey, although not a "Tech man" as per your (71Bee's) definition, is the current Head Coach at Tech.

my opinion is that Gailey led us through a mediocre season last year and that is not sufficient to judge him as a success or a failure.

you are welcome to your opinion, toe meets leather is welcome to his.

my belief and my hope is that he will succeed. this is where the problem starts. many people on this board believe that Gailey will not succeed. that is fine.

however, SOME people on this board HOPE that he doesn't succeed. that is NOT fine in my book but who gives a damn about my "book" anyways.

moreover, as long as Gailey is the Head Coach at Tech and as long as he is giving his best for Tech, i do not understand how Tech "fans" on this board can vilify and degrade him to the extent that is done on this board.

i cannot understand how "humor" is used and abused by classy Tech fans, some who hold esteemed positions in society such as Deacons.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

my opinion is that Gailey led us through a mediocre season last year and that is not sufficient to judge him as a success or a failure.

my belief and my hope is that he will succeed. moreover, as long as Gailey is the Head Coach at Tech and as long as he is giving his best for Tech, i do not understand how Tech "fans" on this board can vilify and degrade him to the extent that is done on this board.

i cannot understand how "humor" is used and abused by classy Tech fans, some who hold esteemed positions in society such as Deacons.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ylojk8,

Sorry bro, if I stepped on your stinger, but you have to admit, like Beeware you play a familiar tune.

Perhaps I'm coming around to your point of view; there is a fine line between supporting the Head Coach and criticizing his mistakes without degrading him.

I do believe some roasting is in order for any highly paid Head Coach when he (his staff and team) makes glaring mistakes; not just for losing.

Sure, Gailey is feeling the heat and it's been a scorcher but you have to admit the loss to UGA and the loss in the SVB won't be forgotten for a long time.

At any rate I'm reading the tea leaves now looking for positive signs.

Back