Explain to me how safeties on kickoffs work

The Duke player absolutely retreated on his own before contact was made. I guess the only question is whether or not he had gone all the way back into the endzone. I was furious that they didn't even bother to review it, but I guess that worked out for us in the long run.

I thought they ruled him down at the one because the blew they play dead when he 'gave himself up' (even though they shouldn't have). I thought that was the call. I can't find video of that play anywhere.

This is the only call that makes sense. Is college similar to the NFL in that when the player is ruled down/forward progress is judged to have stopped/player gives himself up, the play isn't reviewable?

At the time, I was ready to punch this ref. Terrible officiating much of the night and generous spots/calls for the team from NC.

This is the only call that makes sense. Is college similar to the NFL in that when the player is ruled down/forward progress is judged to have stopped/player gives himself up, the play isn't reviewable?

I believe so. Arkansas lost to Auburn after that weird lateral spike play that should have been ruled a fumble recovery for Arkansas, but the refs had blown the play dead.

At the time, I was ready to punch this ref. Terrible officiating much of the night and generous spots/calls for the team from NC.
No whistle was blown, live ball. I think the refs just blew it and then the review official further blew it by not reviewing it. It was pretty close when the defender made contact the ball carrier's foot was in the endzone and the ball was in the trailing hand.

The ball never lies.

No whistle was blown, live ball. I think the refs just blew it and then the review official further blew it by not reviewing it. It was pretty close when the defender made contact the ball carrier's foot was in the endzone and the ball was in the trailing hand.

The ball never lies.

Gotcha. I didn't hear the whistle at the game nor did I see the ref emphatically signalling anything (like when the side judge runs to the play pointing at the ground).

Irony of course is the NC refs attempting to give Duke an incredible bailout only to have a strip sack TD occur. Ball indeed doesn't lie. :bigthumbup:

You guys are still arguing for us to give up 5 points. We got a TD 2 plays later, who needs a safety?

You guys are still arguing for us to give up 5 points. We got a TD 2 plays later, who needs a safety?
Duke was gonna free kick to us and we were going to run it back for a TD. The non call cost us

I thought they ruled him down at the one because the blew they play dead when he 'gave himself up' (even though they shouldn't have). I thought that was the call. I can't find video of that play anywhere.
Refs didnt blow it dead. They let it play out then gave him forward progress even though he retreated on his own before being engaged. They had it right by letting the play continue, but then blew the call. Should've been a safety or reviewed at minimum.

Logically it makes sense. The odds are low against a well performing team to get a strip six the next two plays. We want honest and true officiating on every play so that when the time comes we can have the fruit of that safety without needing a miracle.

I think the safety no-call was ultimately correct regardless of how I emotionally felt at the time.
The returner effectively gave himself up before panicking as defenders converged on him about to light his ass up.

I think the safety no-call was ultimately correct regardless of how I emotionally felt at the time.
The returner effectively gave himself up before panicking as defenders converged on him about to light his ass up.

Play to the whistle

The entire ball has to cross the line, otherwise, it is a safety. It is the inverse of 'breaking the plane' for a TD. Right?
Exactly. In the safety Duke scored on us, Mason got part of the ball over the line, but the rest of it was in the endzone.

In the other play, the Duke player wasn't contacted until he was right on the goal line, but they put the ball down where he picked it up. The only way that would make sense is if they just blew the play dead there or declared it a dead ball, since it had pretty much stopped rolling when he picked it up.

Exactly. In the safety Duke scored on us, Mason got part of the ball over the line, but the rest of it was in the endzone.

In the other play, the Duke player wasn't contacted until he was right on the goal line, but they put the ball down where he picked it up. The only way that would make sense is if they just blew the play dead there or declared it a dead ball, since it had pretty much stopped rolling when he picked it up.

Yeah, the ball should have been placed at the point where it was at the moment a Tech player made first contact with the Duke player. This was clearly behind where the Duke player "caught" the ball but IMO, it was just outside the goal line. I think the refs just guessed: "oh this seems about right".

The Duke player absolutely retreated on his own before contact was made. I guess the only question is whether or not he had gone all the way back into the endzone. I was furious that they didn't even bother to review it, but I guess that worked out for us in the long run.
The sad truth is that most officials only know/understand about 85% of the rules. And in their defense, the rules change every year.

Don’t think a forward progress ruling is reviewable

Back