Fair Pay to Play Act

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
It's not like the Pac-10 was going to send any teams to the playoff this year anyways.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act

Im sure this has been discussed but how the hell is this going to work.

Of course Lebrons bitch ass is babbling about this.
Would this mean I could openly hand out $100 bills at Fan Day to athletes who take pictures with me for using their likeness?

What constitutes an endorsement?

If I wanted to rent a billboard on I-85 advertising my business, could I pay one of our players whatever we agree to and put his picture on it?

Would this get rid of the bagmen?

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Would this mean I could openly hand out $100 bills at Fan Day to athletes who take pictures with me for using their likeness?

What constitutes an endorsement?

If I wanted to rent a billboard on I-85 advertising my business, could I pay one of our players whatever we agree to and put his picture on it?

Would this get rid of the bagmen?

Thats what i dont understand. Youll have guys driving new vettes to practice on loan from dealers they did a signing with. Front companies signing all 5 stars to $100k a year bonuses

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
I'm all for this. As much as I hate Ugag, it was total BS that Gurley got suspended for signing footballs.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
If you guys think the recruiting landscape is unfair to teams like GT now, just wait until the NCAA allows payments like this to occur.

Will the NCAA penalize schools that have athletes that violate their rules? Because the Cali law allows athletes to do things that violate NCAA rules.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
If you guys think the recruiting landscape is unfair to teams like GT now, just wait until the NCAA allows payments like this to occur.

Will the NCAA penalize schools that have athletes that violate their rules? Because the Cali law allows athletes to do things that violate NCAA rules.
We get ööööed everytime we give someone $300 so I doubt this is going to make it any worse than it is for us.

It will probably end up in Supreme Court.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
We get ööööed everytime we give someone $300 so I doubt this is going to make it any worse than it is for us.

It will probably end up in Supreme Court.
What I mean is that right now, only a handful of athletes get the full bagman treatment. If a player is able to get paid for the use of his likeness and such, it will make it much more likely that he would choose one of the Top 5 schools or so over a 2nd tier school, given a choice.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I think the obvious solution is allow the schools to directly pay the players a little more but then allow outside income and/or endorsements up to a cap that will not be policed.

I guess something in the $10k - $50k range would make sense (just spit balling). I'm not sure an unlimited amount works because then you could have some players signing multi-million dollar deals that I think would ruin college football locker rooms. Most of the players in locker rooms have zero potential to earn that kind of money so it would drive a lot of dissension, IMO.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
What I mean is that right now, only a handful of athletes get the full bagman treatment. If a player is able to get paid for the use of his likeness and such, it will make it much more likely that he would choose one of the Top 5 schools or so over a 2nd tier school, given a choice.
I don’t think only a handful of athletes get paid. Also this is the result of ncaa running a crooked system allowing athletes to get paid in those factories, 2 of which we play every year. I’d rather they get a taste of their own medicine and all schools can freely find sponsors for their recruits.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I don’t think only a handful of athletes get paid. Also this is the result of ncaa running a crooked system allowing athletes to get paid in those factories, 2 of which we play every year. I’d rather they get a taste of their own medicine and all schools can freely find sponsors for their recruits.
I'm sure sponsors will be lining up for our guys and not an endless stream of U[sic]GA endorsements. The rich will just get richer.

JRjr

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I'm sure sponsors will be lining up for our guys and not an endless stream of U[sic]GA endorsements. The rich will just get richer.

JRjr
What are they gonna do? Go for top 3 recruiting class to top 2 recruiting class?