Figuring out recruiting

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Gailey's last recruiting class was his greatest.

Now that CPJ has his full team of staffed recruiters, we are having the best recruiting year under his belt. Hard to believe we spent over 800k/yr on recruiting under Drad yet he wouldn't hire actual recruiters.

My point is, we may be on the cusp of firing another coach just when he's gotten this whole recruiting thing going for him. By the way, does anyone recall how much Gailey's buyout was? 7 mill?

By the way, does anyone recall how much Gailey's buyout was? 7 mill?

4 years remaining on his contract a 1 mil a year.

Also, elite recruits usually begin to contibute in their second year. I would say most in this class will need two years so we are looking at waiting for three more years until the current recruiting gains begin to pay dividends on the field. That's a long time.

If all above is true, why are we hiring people that do not come in ready to go? ccg and CPJ had vast HC experience. Did they think nothing about recruiting?

I remember that it took forever for ccg to get Watson, I believe that was his name, out. Why take so long?

Did CPJ think his O would automatically induce recruits here? Did he have the $ to get the job done and not do it until he was in his 6th year?

Can any recruitniks give us an idea, as of today, where we stand in the ACC as regards committments?

If all above is true, why are we hiring people that do not come in ready to go? ccg and CPJ had vast HC experience. Did they think nothing about recruiting?

I remember that it took forever for ccg to get Watson, I believe that was his name, out. Why take so long?

Did CPJ think his O would automatically induce recruits here? Did he have the $ to get the job done and not do it until he was in his 6th year?

Can any recruitniks give us an idea, as of today, where we stand in the ACC as regards committments?

DRAD did not allow the hiring of additional recruiting coordinators while he was here. Paul Johnson asked for and got approved for additional staff when Bobinski was hired which has already been paying dividends.

So, basically, yes, PJ did not have the financial support he was asking for until DRAD was gone. DRAD was too busy funding other sport areas which is why he would not approve the additional recruiting staff.

CPJ has been from day one thinking about recruiting but because most of the fans who only get casual information on here they default to it being PJ's fault and while not knowing the back drop of it all. If anyone is to blame for the recruiting woes and not having enough staff it isn't PJ you should be blaming but you should be blaming DRAD and his failure to allow PJ to hire the assistants he thought he needed.

It is no coincidence that PJ finally gets his staff the same time Bobinski started as the AD. Think about it.

CPJ is just too stubborn to even bother recruiting. My insiders tell me he just cutblocks recruits as they go to sign other schools' LOI until they give up and sign ours.

In seriousness, I'm surprised that drad wasn't more accommodating for CPJ. He seemed to want to make football a focus; he did let CPJ fire two DCs and got a practice facility built. Seems like adding recruiting staff is cheaper than both.

Neither Gailey nor Johnson had every coached--even as an assistant--at a BCS school before coming to GT. Vast experience perhaps, but not at the BCS level. Recruiting at Ga. Southern and then at the Naval Academy don't transfer to recruiting for a BCS school in the heart of SEC country.

I have been trying to figure out for almost 6 years why the GTAA Board thought that hiring a guy with no prior BCS level experience at top 15 money on a fully guaranteed contract was a good idea. The scary part is that it would not surprise me to see them do the same thing again.

At least Radakovich and Braine aren't around anymore.

My 0.05

1) Recruiting is very difficult to do at GT, for reasons that have been discussed here to death. In short, it is hard to get in (limited pool of applicants), we don't have a lot of majors (a turn off to some), we are a difficult school (a turn off to others), and our fan base sucks compared to many other schools (in terms of number of fans who show up to the games). We also have stiff regional competition from a number of schools within a 2-3 hour drive away.

2) In light of #1, I would say that nobody who comes to coach at GT has any feel for what recruiting here is like. I'm sure there are some universal tenants of recruiting, but Chan's experiences in the NFL and at Samford/Birmingham probably didn't translate, nor did O'Leary's experience at San Diego (his experience as our DC obviously helped). CPJ's experience at Navy, which has a similarly limited pool of players to recruit from, is actually probably more relevant than most of our previous coaches.

3) I don't think we are anywhere close to firing CPJ. Some negative "fans" may be vocal about what they think, but they are in the minority. There is also the financial reality that, even if we wanted to fire CPJ, we probably couldn't until 2015.

4) Gailey's 2007 class was more of an outlier than an indication that he had flipped a switch and became a great recruiter. Our 2008 class wasn't shaping up to be much at the time that Gailey was canned. In fact, not a single four star was committed at the time Gailey was canned. Uzzi was a solid recruit, but he wasn't ours until after CPJ got here. Just like you can't compare any of CPJ's classes to the 2007 class, you can't compare any of Gailey's classes to that class, either.

5) In response to Texas Stinger's post - nobody is saying CPJ had no idea how to recruit when he got here. That's just dumb. You'd also be an idiot to think that being HC at GT does not require a good deal of learning on the job. See No. 1. I'd rather have someone who knows how to coach football, but needs to learn the nuances of recruiting at a school like GT, as opposed to someone who is intimately familiar with our school but can't coach a lick.

6) As to QuadF's statement that CPJ is "too stubborn to even bother recruiting." I hope you are kidding. That's the most idiotic thing I've ever read on here. You really thing CPJ doesn't bother recruiting? As an initial matter, head coaches do significantly less recruiting than what most uninformed fans think. The head coaches simply don't have time to talk to all of our recruits every week (hopefully they are coaching football). A lot of that falls on position coaches. The recruiting coordinators job is to make sure those responsibilities are delegated appropriately.

Moreover, the thought that CPJ doesn't want to recruit makes no sense. If it were solely up to him, I'm sure that he would bring in only 5 star guys. But the realities of #1 make that impossible. Most recruits prioritize the stage they want to play on over all other considerations. Thus, playing in front of 90k at an SEC school is infinitely more appealing than playing in front of 45k with us. Even if CPJ plays every card GT has right, we simply aren't going to land that many elite recruits. For those of you who disagree, answer me this: if you were an elite recruit, why would you go to GT?

7) In response to jacketup - how much would you pay to have Bill Belichick or Bill Cowher coach at GT? Neither of them has ever coached a college team. I care more about football knowledge than prior experience at BCS schools, although I'm sure that experience doesn't hurt. My guess is there wasn't a better candidate who had experience at that level.

DRAD did not allow the hiring of additional recruiting coordinators while he was here. Paul Johnson asked for and got approved for additional staff when Bobinski was hired which has already been paying dividends.

So, basically, yes, PJ did not have the financial support he was asking for until DRAD was gone. DRAD was too busy funding other sport areas which is why he would not approve the additional recruiting staff.

CPJ has been from day one thinking about recruiting but because most of the fans who only get casual information on here they default to it being PJ's fault and while not knowing the back drop of it all. If anyone is to blame for the recruiting woes and not having enough staff it isn't PJ you should be blaming but you should be blaming DRAD and his failure to allow PJ to hire the assistants he thought he needed.

It is no coincidence that PJ finally gets his staff the same time Bobinski started as the AD. Think about it.

This was the entire point of my post.

I've done a lot of thinking on it and I'm still on the CPJ bandwagon...I never realized he was being handcuffed to the already handcuffed handcuffs (in simple words...being HC at GA TECH).

Not having the full compliment of recruiting staff was piss poor. I suspect CPJ didn't want to throw DRad under the bus while he was here.

My 0.05

1) Recruiting is very difficult to do at GT, for reasons that have been discussed here to death. In short, it is hard to get in (limited pool of applicants), we don't have a lot of majors (a turn off to some), we are a difficult school (a turn off to others), and our fan base sucks compared to many other schools (in terms of number of fans who show up to the games). We also have stiff regional competition from a number of schools within a 2-3 hour drive away.

GREAT point. I honestly believe most people don't realize what they're getting into when they take the head coaching position at Georgia Tech...perhaps they're blinded by dollar signs; hell, I know I would be.

Look at Chan. He wanted outta here even before we ööööcanned his sorry arse. Somewhat similar for O'Leary but he "left" for his dream job (no, not UCF...Notre Dame).

Georgia Tech is a öööö hard place to run the show. Top Ten "PITA" Places To Coach if you ask me.

A well thought out response and quality post there Legal Jacket... Mods plz ban

6) As to QuadF's statement that CPJ is "too stubborn to even bother recruiting." I hope you are kidding. That's the most idiotic thing I've ever read on here. You really thing CPJ doesn't bother recruiting? As an initial matter, head coaches do significantly less recruiting than what most uninformed fans think. The head coaches simply don't have time to talk to all of our recruits every week (hopefully they are coaching football). A lot of that falls on position coaches. The recruiting coordinators job is to make sure those responsibilities are delegated appropriately.

Moreover, the thought that CPJ doesn't want to recruit makes no sense. If it were solely up to him, I'm sure that he would bring in only 5 star guys. But the realities of #1 make that impossible. Most recruits prioritize the stage they want to play on over all other considerations. Thus, playing in front of 90k at an SEC school is infinitely more appealing than playing in front of 45k with us. Even if CPJ plays every card GT has right, we simply aren't going to land that many elite recruits. For those of you who disagree, answer me this: if you were an elite recruit, why would you go to GT?

you mean the cutblocking recruits and the "in all seriousness" immediately following didn't give it away?

Gailey's last recruiting class was his greatest.

Now that CPJ has his full team of staffed recruiters, we are having the best recruiting year under his belt. Hard to believe we spent over 800k/yr on recruiting under Drad yet he wouldn't hire actual recruiters.

My point is, we may be on the cusp of firing another coach just when he's gotten this whole recruiting thing going for him. By the way, does anyone recall how much Gailey's buyout was? 7 mill?

Ok for kicks and giggles, give me this year's Burnett, Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Roddy Jones? Hell just give me your Threet or Donley?

Ok for kicks and giggles, give me this year's Burnett, Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Roddy Jones? Hell just give me your Threet or Donley?

I get your point, but that's kind of ridiculous. Comparing any recruit to those guys will make us sound like UGA fans who proclaim every RB as the next Herschel. Ill humor you, though.

Step Durham, KeShun Freeman, Travis Custis, Matthew Jordan, Caleb Kinlaw.

While it may not be 2007 level, it's looking like the 2nd best class we've had since the O'Leary era, both in quality and quantity. I'll take it.

Smh, I hate seeing his name cause it makes me think "what if" He was a beast at WR!!! Definitely NFL talent wasted

Smh, I hate seeing his name cause it makes me think "what if" He was a beast at WR!!! Definitely NFL talent wasted

Good teams have a lot of what if type players like Donley who had all kinds of talent but just screwed up their opportunity for whatever reason. We don't have a lot of "what ifs"... We have a bunch of "have nots".

Good teams have a lot of what if type players like Donley who had all kinds of talent but just screwed up their opportunity for whatever reason. We don't have a lot of "what ifs"... We have a bunch of "have nots".

On that note, there were a lot of hit and miss in that '07 class that no one brings up. Either you were really good or really bad. I guess Jefferson falls in the btw category

Back