Figuring out recruiting

On that note, there were a lot of hit and miss in that '07 class that no one brings up. Either you were really good or really bad. I guess Jefferson falls in the btw category

Indeed. that class was very top heavy, but lacked depth after the top guys. The lack of depth in that class, combined with the lack of follow on class success hurt us. That class was special, but you make a good point that often gets overlooked.

Good teams have a lot of what if type players like Donley who had all kinds of talent but just screwed up their opportunity for whatever reason. We don't have a lot of "what ifs"... We have a bunch of "have nots".

I mean you can't really say that until they hit the field...

Indeed. that class was very top heavy, but lacked depth after the top guys. The lack of depth in that class, combined with the lack of follow on class success hurt us. That class was special, but you make a good point that often gets overlooked.

You can't build much depth in just one recruiting class. It has to be done every year.

If CPJ has continued success recruiting (say Top 25 to 35 classes), I'd say we would be in pretty good shape. Getting the #69th or whatever ranked class would be uphill sledding at any school.

Has BOR fallen off the CPJ Wagon completely?

Legal Jacket has it exactly right. TECH is a tough, tough place to recruit. In todays world, kids want instant stardom, they want to be treated as the best even before they compete on a D1 level. It would be a very unique five star recruit that would sign with TECH. Getting a guy like Joe Hamilton recruiting and having Ted Roof in the mix will help a lot. I went to TECH and I walked on and I can tell you it is a very tough place to be a student athlete. I actually think that it may be tougher now than when I was there. CPJ has the right mindset for TECH and he recruits kids that can actually make it. His success academically has been quite impressive. Keep the net wide and expansive and TECH will excel ultimately.

Ok for kicks and giggles, give me this year's Burnett, Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Roddy Jones? Hell just give me your Threet or Donley?

I'll play, but I want to look at last year too. It's also complete speculation as to how these guys turn out. You laugh, but I'm sure there were people who in 2007 thought there was a good chance Threet, Willie White, and DJ Donley were going to be the future of GT. I doubt anyone thought all 5 foot nine inches of Roddy Jones was going to be a difference maker.

The other problem with this game is that it assumes that the most epic recruiting class -BY FAR- in the history of our school (at least since recruiting websites were invented) is the norm. Why don't you show my another class where you thought we had a Burnett, Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Roddy Jones before they took the field?

In terms of recruits, last year you had Custis and DeVine. I thinnk Commissiong will be a big body who will do great stuffing the middle. I'll take Andrew Marshall and Step Durham this year. I'm excited to see what Trey Klock will do on the offense, and how we will use him. We got a lot of speed in this class, esp tons of DBs who can slot at ABs if thats where they fit. I like 6'4 295 lb Jake Whitley and 6'5 281 lb Jake Stickler. Both of those guys should put on pounds and make huge holes for our RBs. I'm excited to see speed like Caleb Kinlaw coming in at AB.

If stars really do make a difference, and I think they do, I like that CPJ is consistently landing the 3 star guys across the board. I wish we had some better talent at the top, but aside from 2007 we've never really had that in spades.

Legal Jacket has it exactly right. TECH is a tough, tough place to recruit. In todays world, kids want instant stardom, they want to be treated as the best even before they compete on a D1 level. It would be a very unique five star recruit that would sign with TECH. Getting a guy like Joe Hamilton recruiting and having Ted Roof in the mix will help a lot. I went to TECH and I walked on and I can tell you it is a very tough place to be a student athlete. I actually think that it may be tougher now than when I was there. CPJ has the right mindset for TECH and he recruits kids that can actually make it. His success academically has been quite impressive. Keep the net wide and expansive and TECH will excel ultimately.

Amen. I may take some flack for it, but to me being a GT football fan has always been about doing more with less. Some people don't seem to get that.

Amen. I may take some flack for it, but to me being a GT football fan has always been about doing more with less. Some people don't seem to get that.

Agreed.

Bobby Dodd said it best, when talking about Georgie:

"I have told you they are bigger, faster, and tougher than you. All that is true, but we do have one advantage. We are smarter than they are."

We'll never out recruit the Clemsons, FSUs, Miamis, but we should always have this one major advantage of having smarter athletes.

"Two days prior to Texas A&M's heavily anticipated game against Alabama, Sumlin arrived by helicopter to watch Garrett's game on Thursday night. That obviously caught the eye of the talented edge rusher."

LINK.

I'm sure CPJ regularly does this.

"Two days prior to Texas A&M's heavily anticipated game against Alabama, Sumlin arrived by helicopter to watch Garrett's game on Thursday night. That obviously caught the eye of the talented edge rusher."

LINK.

Like we've got the budget for a helicopter. I've heard the AA lets CPJ upgrade from standard to full size when going out to visit the 4-star targets.

LINK.

And then they lost the game.

My 0.05

1) Recruiting is very difficult to do at GT, for reasons that have been discussed here to death. In short, it is hard to get in (limited pool of applicants), we don't have a lot of majors (a turn off to some), we are a difficult school (a turn off to others), and our fan base sucks compared to many other schools (in terms of number of fans who show up to the games). We also have stiff regional competition from a number of schools within a 2-3 hour drive away.

2) In light of #1, I would say that nobody who comes to coach at GT has any feel for what recruiting here is like. I'm sure there are some universal tenants of recruiting, but Chan's experiences in the NFL and at Samford/Birmingham probably didn't translate, nor did O'Leary's experience at San Diego (his experience as our DC obviously helped). CPJ's experience at Navy, which has a similarly limited pool of players to recruit from, is actually probably more relevant than most of our previous coaches.

3) I don't think we are anywhere close to firing CPJ. Some negative "fans" may be vocal about what they think, but they are in the minority. There is also the financial reality that, even if we wanted to fire CPJ, we probably couldn't until 2015.

4) Gailey's 2007 class was more of an outlier than an indication that he had flipped a switch and became a great recruiter. Our 2008 class wasn't shaping up to be much at the time that Gailey was canned. In fact, not a single four star was committed at the time Gailey was canned. Uzzi was a solid recruit, but he wasn't ours until after CPJ got here. Just like you can't compare any of CPJ's classes to the 2007 class, you can't compare any of Gailey's classes to that class, either.

5) In response to Texas Stinger's post - nobody is saying CPJ had no idea how to recruit when he got here. That's just dumb. You'd also be an idiot to think that being HC at GT does not require a good deal of learning on the job. See No. 1. I'd rather have someone who knows how to coach football, but needs to learn the nuances of recruiting at a school like GT, as opposed to someone who is intimately familiar with our school but can't coach a lick.

6) As to QuadF's statement that CPJ is "too stubborn to even bother recruiting." I hope you are kidding. That's the most idiotic thing I've ever read on here. You really thing CPJ doesn't bother recruiting? As an initial matter, head coaches do significantly less recruiting than what most uninformed fans think. The head coaches simply don't have time to talk to all of our recruits every week (hopefully they are coaching football). A lot of that falls on position coaches. The recruiting coordinators job is to make sure those responsibilities are delegated appropriately.

Moreover, the thought that CPJ doesn't want to recruit makes no sense. If it were solely up to him, I'm sure that he would bring in only 5 star guys. But the realities of #1 make that impossible. Most recruits prioritize the stage they want to play on over all other considerations. Thus, playing in front of 90k at an SEC school is infinitely more appealing than playing in front of 45k with us. Even if CPJ plays every card GT has right, we simply aren't going to land that many elite recruits. For those of you who disagree, answer me this: if you were an elite recruit, why would you go to GT?

7) In response to jacketup - how much would you pay to have Bill Belichick or Bill Cowher coach at GT? Neither of them has ever coached a college team. I care more about football knowledge than prior experience at BCS schools, although I'm sure that experience doesn't hurt. My guess is there wasn't a better candidate who had experience at that level.
Most "elite recruits" don't want to go to Tech because of Johnsons offense.It doesn't get them ready for the pros,which all of them think they will play after graduation.

Most "elite recruits" don't want to go to Tech because of Johnsons offense.It doesn't get them ready for the pros,which all of them think they will play after graduation.

It's kind of funny how we realize this now. I remember when CPJ first came to GT, the recruiting sites proclaimed that elite running backs would be pounding down the door to come to GT to be part of the option offense. Clearly, that hasn't been the case.

# of NFL draft picks from Tech by year (going back to 2000)

Year - # of NFL draft picks

2000 - 3
2001 - 0
2002 - 2
2003 - 1
2004 - 5
2005 - 0
2006 - 3
2007 - 2
2008 - 2
2009 - 4
2010 - 4
2011 - 1
2012 - 1

13 year average = 2.15/yr

Maybe it's more than just the offense. :cool:

It's kind of funny how we realize this now. I remember when CPJ first came to GT, the recruiting sites proclaimed that elite running backs would be pounding down the door to come to GT to be part of the option offense. Clearly, that hasn't been the case.

If we can establish another guy as a Dwyer, I think it would help a lot. A recruit right now would look at GT and think "split carries". Custis looked to me like a big-time back; I'm hoping he'll be the guy.

Most "elite recruits" can't even consider Tech, and that has nothing to do with CPJ or the offense.

Ok for kicks and giggles, give me this year's Burnett, Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Roddy Jones? Hell just give me your Threet or Donley?

Burnett > Taylor
Morgan > Freeman
Dwyer > Custis
Nesbitt :: Jordan
Jones < Kinlaw

Butler < Austin twins or Durham
Melton < Searcey

Our OL class looks good, but 2007 was pretty good for lineman. Linebackers, too.

Back