Fire Thacker

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
When did our recruiting tank? What years did it affect our record vs duke?
Our Recruiting started to tank in 2008, definitely by 2009, after those first 2 years the difference in GT FB was noticeable, we looked a lot different in 2010 when a lot of Chan's guys were gone.

We went thru an embarrassing run from 2010 to 2013 (I know, it was still better than the last 2.6 seasons), then we had 14, then after 14 the next Era of GT FB was setting up to be worse than 10 to 13.

We were trending in the wrong direction after 2014, before anyone blames MBob and funding, more money and Resources were not going to convince Recruits & HS Coaches to take GT FB seriously when they had NFL dreams and we were still running the Triple.

A lot of Recruits that might have played for GT , instead went to places like Duke, and ended up beating us, so CPJ's Recruiting was weakening GT FB while simultaneously strengthening Teams like Duke, Kentucky, maybe even Vandy when Franklin won 9 games back2back.

I know we beat Kentucky in a Bowl Gm, but before CPJ, they seemed like a 3 to 5 win Team forever, and now they're beating LSU & UF in the same season

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I remember when the board was upset at Chan and he never had a losing season. He was given 6 seasons and we had finally gotten a pro style QB to commit....and then bail. Hurt when Threet bailed too when Mallet decided to bolt from Michigan

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Sorry. Not going down the rabbit hole today. You’ll just have to go be miserable with someone else.
No worries. I suspected you'd duck out before providing proof. By all means continue to be happy with 3 win seasons.

edit for posterity:

Duke was actually pretty good from 2013-2018. If you drop the 1 bad season (2016), they were averaging more than 8 wins per year. So chalking up the issue to primarily being one of our OL recruiting falling off during the "last part" of CPJ's tenure is overly simplistic as the trends already existed prior to then. Our OL far worse now than then, so i'll accept that as the reason for the CGC era.

Now that Duke is back to a 3 win team, it should be an easy win every year. Complaining about CPJ losing to Duke when they were actually good is just deflecting away from our current issues.

Last edited:

GTRules

You’re Mamma
No worries. I suspected you'd duck out before providing proof. By all means continue to be happy with 3 win seasons.

edit for posterity:

Duke was actually pretty good from 2013-2018. If you drop the 1 bad season (2016), they were averaging more than 8 wins per year. So chalking up the issue to primarily being one of our OL recruiting falling off during the "last part" of CPJ's tenure is overly simplistic as the trends already existed prior to then. Our OL far worse now than then, so i'll accept that as the reason for the CGC era.

Now that Duke is back to a 3 win team, it should be an easy win every year. Complaining about CPJ losing to Duke when they were actually good is just deflecting away from our current issues.
Who said I was happy? We only talked about your emotions here.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

Just maybe Duke was pretty good due to the Fact that your Hero surrendered the State of GA Recruiting wise and HS Talent in GA with decent Academics and NFL aspirations would go to Duke instead of playing in CPJ's gimmicky system?

Notice that during the 11 yrs of your Hero, 3 Teams that were on life support made miraculous recoveries and played CFB about 3 standard deviations above what they were used to Playing at : Vandy, Kentucky, Duke.

Seems like your Hero is good at building other Programs, because recruits run away from his system to those Programs.

JJacket

edit for posterity:

Duke was no "Pretty darn good" except when Spurrier was there

You think giving money directly to the AD or minor sports or anything A-T fund related when you’re pissed about the direction of the FB team is ‘making a statement’? That’s where they want the money in the first place.
That must be why the ticket office does so much cold calling for football tickets -- to try to get more tickets sold to football to redirect the money to volleyball. Yes, genius theory you've got there. Here's a ticket to the M-Train, you'll need it.

JJacket

Are we going to talk about the budget during the Bobinski era again?
It was pretty bad. It is why DRad left to go to Clemson who welcomed him with open checkbooks

Well DUH....who do you think IPTAY supports? They aren't a random band of merry fundraisers who Dole money out to needy college football programs
Big difference between asking for money from a public institution of higher education and a private donor network with no further restrictions. It may still be Tigguhz, but operating wise it's a world of difference. Maybe one day the A-T Fund will be run with the same gusto and enthusiasm as IPTAY.

JJacket

Big difference between asking for money from a public institution of higher education and a private donor network with no further restrictions. It may still be Tigguhz, but operating wise it's a world of difference. Maybe one day the A-T Fund will be run with the same gusto and enthusiasm as IPTAY.
You know we all realize that it isn't actually the Georgia Tech academic endowment and are talking donations supporting the team, right? When we reference Georgia Tech or Clemson fundraising, most posters realize we are discussing the football team, fundraising, and boosters for that program. I realize money earmarked for the biomedical program isn't chipping in money for football.

You know we all realize that it isn't actually the Georgia Tech academic endowment and are talking donations supporting the team, right? When we reference Georgia Tech or Clemson fundraising, most posters realize we are discussing the football team, fundraising, and boosters for that program. I realize money earmarked for the biomedical program isn't chipping in money for football.
Yes. I also realize GT, like every other D1 FBS, has its own athletic endowments and resources. There is a such thing as Georgia Tech money explicitly to be used for athletics. The golf team uses only endowment money pretty much.