Fire the OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they wasted good practice time all year on that turd says it all doesn't it?
Think we ran it a total of 4 times this year with a variation of running the ball or throwing it. I think it actually worked twice. One time Smelter threw the INT instead of running it for the first down.

On a related note but still on the record, I hate trick plays.

awbuzz - neither. Just fed up. I'm not 100% positive, because I don't want to go back and look, but I'm reasonably sure that Poole tripped prior to reaching the LOS, and there were Ole Miss defenders within a few yards at that point. on 4th and greater than 10, I don't think that is a good play call, and if the read was still in effect, I hold that on the coaches. Maybe that makes me "ignorant" in your eyes, but I won't lose sleep over it.

I thought the overall play calling was crap. There were bits and pieces through the game that gave me hope that Tech might pull the game out anyway, but I was never confident that the guy calling the plays was going to put a drive together that would amount to anything. Again, if that is "ignorant", so be it.

I don't understand the change of pace QB change inside our own 10 when the other guy was actually moving the ball at that point in the game. Ignorant?

I don't understand running and gaining yards on first down, keeping ahead of the chains, and then 2-3 drives in a row calling a pass on 1st down when we couldn't offer basic pass-blocking to give the QB time to throw it. Ignorant?

It seemed to me that 2-3 plays on the opening couple of drives were working and we abandoned them for the rest of the game. Obviously, Ole Miss responded and was better prepared for those plays later in the game, but our OC used to espouse the theory that you run something until they stop it, not until they scheme against it. Ignorant?

I am actually a very big fan of the offense as a whole, and feel like when it gets rolling it is very hard to stop. My frustration this year (and this game especially) is that it appeared to me that our OC was putting us behind the chains and not allowing that natural rhythm to develop. Ignorant?

I probably am ignorant in a lot of areas. I don't think today was one of the times where I showed that, but your opinion differs. That's fine, enjoy tearing this post up too.

GO Jackets!

I know it's just me but there was a discernible point where we were behind but the game hadn't gotten all weird yet (still could've gained the momentum) and Paul decided to start going cutesy (letting Vad pass, which he has never been able to do efficiently). A little ripple here, a little wobble there, a wheel falls off and the next thing you know we're playing like spastics and trying to redeem ourselves with more idiotic plays. I just don't get it. For this offense to work, especially if you're essentially the underdog, it has to be a tightly controlled, disciplined approach. Technique and execution. Johnson's supposed to be uber-conservative but maybe he's schizophrenic. A couple of times late 3rd and 4th qtrs we could've still won the game when we had no business winning it and it just got crazier. Mercifully, it only lasted 4 qtrs. Give Ole Miss some credit though. They had monsters on their lines and most all of their guys appeared to be pretty athletic. Not exactly Elon or Al A&M in other words. "I hit him coach but he wouldn't fall down!!!!!!!!!" Oh well. I was actually chuckling towards the end.

He called a major play to a kid who hasn't touched the ball all year and isn't a playmaker! WTF excuse you have for that weak öööö?

just like he asks a BB to routinely block a rushing DE on a pass play one on one LOL. Who does that? Seriously? I have never seen a scheme asking the RB to do that over and over without TE help or OL help. But flat one on one? Its one thing if a blitzing LB, but folks we are talking DE's.

we have scheme issues PERIOD and this won't be cured unless paul wakes up or is gone

I prefer gone.

just like he asks a BB to routinely block a rushing DE on a pass play one on one LOL. Who does that? Seriously? I have never seen a scheme asking the RB to do that over and over without TE help or OL help. But flat one on one? Its one thing if a blitzing LB, but folks we are talking DE's.

we have scheme issues PERIOD and this won't be cured unless paul wakes up or is gone

I prefer gone.

I also find it interesting (i.e. maddening) how mad he gets at the players when they can't execute a 3rd and 10.

3rd and 10 is one of the hardest football plays to make, and he expects this team to do it when we pass 20% of the time on 1st and 10.

We have 3 more years of paying Hewitt. CPJ is owed about $8 million IIRC if he were fired today.....which is the only reason why he will return as our coach next year.

Who writes these ööööing contracts????!!!! :furious:

The dissapointing thing about CPJ's offense is that it probably would work very well;but, he rarely changes his formations. And, it is obvious (to me at least) that he spends precious little time on pass blocking in his pratices. (Even an undersized OL can give a QB enough time to find an open receiver since the rules on holding have been changed.)

CPJ really doesn't spread the field very often. Sure, he has two WR's split but with the "V" backs (everyone else calls them slot backs) in tight as wing backs, the defense is able to keep a minimum of 7 guys in the box with the play side safety and middle line backer closing fast on any running play to the outside.

Simply moving the A backs wide in the slot would force the defense to adjust. They will either have to move the outside linebackers wide or bring up the safeties. Depending on how they adjust, the defense is more vunerable against an inside quick hitting dive or a play action post route pass to one of our tall receivers.

And, if he wants to shift to a pistol type formation, all he would need to do is back the QB out from behind center and use the A back as an additional blocker for pass protection or run a read option.

But all of this would require having our QB make the read and adjust the play to take advantate of the defense weakness. I would love to see this in our team.

Pawl is done next year. Thank God. Hated it from day one. Once he lost Gaileys players he sucked. Now we can't recruit any offensive playmakers. Our best player was a 5'6" walkon.

Wow

banhammer-diablo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back