First they came for the fight song...

Some of you like our Clemmons frens. Those of you who don't can probably get immediately ööööed.

Anyway. Ask yourself why I had to crop this message six different times to get the entirety of it to show up on Google Image or StingTalk but

here is one thought:

TDjHApo.png

if you came with the smartass answer, I know who you are and where you are sleeping. You should have killed yourself ages ago. Yesterday, at the most recent. Hope your mom figures out time travel and abortion simultaneously. ööööing cunts.

Hope half your aunts die of cancer, but that is strictly personal.

If any of that made sense to you, you are a terminal illness upon the planet, irreversibly bound to undo all existence. What a bunch of nerds.

I’d hope that the Alumni Association is mounting a full scale opposition to this change.

Some of you like our Clemmons frens. Those of you who don't can probably get immediately ööööed.

Anyway. Ask yourself why I had to crop this message six different times to get the entirety of it to show up on Google Image or StingTalk but

here is one thought:

TDjHApo.png

if you came with the smartass answer, I know who you are and where you are sleeping. You should have killed yourself ages ago. Yesterday, at the most recent. Hope your mom figures out time travel and abortion simultaneously. ööööing cunts.

Hope half your aunts die of cancer, but that is strictly personal.
This board really ought to require a breathalyzer before posting. For some of us, at least.

I nominate @The Jacket to state our case at the next GT faculty senate meeting.
I'd be happy to move that a suggestion be made that the notion be considered and the very idea examined, as to whether anyone in that room knows what the öööö they are voting or talking about at any given moment, your honor.

Until we start winning some games and make a bowl game I don’t care if they send boys to cheer and the girls to yell to hell with Georgia. It might be an improvement.
You know all of my kids. Which one do you think is most likely to yell To Hell With Georgia?

You know all of my kids. Which one do you think is most likely to yell To Hell With Georgia?
Well I know one of them better than the others so I’m assuming that one.

This particular battle seems ridiculous to me. The song is irredeemable. It is a drinking song. It leads the NCAA in “hells” in a fight song. It speaks of drinking in irresponsible amounts - rum by the barrel. “Like his Daddy used to do” ignores the ever growing number of female grads. The toast is only to fellows. Non-engineers are excluded. Probably the most redeeming part of the song is fluid gender roles as a Dad dresses his daughter.

Any PC police who think the song is somehow corrected by changing one word from “cheer” to “join” embarrass themselves. This is all that offends you? I want to continue the song for all the right reasons - tradition, spirit, fun, enthusiasm. I am OK with a daughter who cheers and a son who says THWG. The song does not indicate that either the daughter or son do or do not matriculate at the Institute. Actually, only the daughter is put on the campus according to the song.

As I said, some songs with irredeemable lyrics are still worth singing. On Saturdays at BDS let’s have a great time singing Budweiser, Up with the White and Gold (in spite of it celebrating a battle axe being dropped on a head) and sing the greatest fight song, Ramblin Wreck. If you need songs with ethical virtue and spiritual truth come join me on Sundays and we can sing great hymns together.

Fight. Win. Drink. Get naked.

This particular battle seems ridiculous to me. The song is irredeemable. It is a drinking song. It leads the NCAA in “hells” in a fight song. It speaks of drinking in irresponsible amounts - rum by the barrel. “Like his Daddy used to do” ignores the ever growing number of female grads. The toast is only to fellows. Non-engineers are excluded. Probably the most redeeming part of the song is fluid gender roles as a Dad dresses his daughter.

Any PC police who think the song is somehow corrected by changing one word from “cheer” to “join” embarrass themselves. This is all that offends you? I want to continue the song for all the right reasons - tradition, spirit, fun, enthusiasm. I am OK with a daughter who cheers and a son who says THWG. The song does not indicate that either the daughter or son do or do not matriculate at the Institute. Actually, only the daughter is put on the campus according to the song.

As I said, some songs with irredeemable lyrics are still worth singing. On Saturdays at BDS let’s have a great time singing Budweiser, Up with the White and Gold (in spite of it celebrating a battle axe being dropped on a head) and sing the greatest fight song, Ramblin Wreck. If you need songs with ethical virtue and spiritual truth come join me on Sundays and we can sing great hymns together.

Fight. Win. Drink. Get naked.
I doubt the period offended by the lyric in question have ever done either.

May I pretend to support this change since no one here does:

The lyrics suggest that a woman's role "on the campus" is being on the sidelines to "cheer" on the boys. Worse, they focus only on how she is dressed. Women can do more than just be pretty cheerleaders. These paternalistic, sexist song lyrics have no place at a modern American university. Changing the word "cheer" to "join" makes the song inclusive because joining is the act of including oneself--in this case as a peer of the "brave and bold" men.

Back