First they came for the fight song...

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
May I pretend to support this change since no one here does:

The lyrics suggest that a woman's role "on the campus" is being on the sidelines to "cheer" on the boys. Worse, they focus only on how she is dressed. Women can do more than just be pretty cheerleaders. These paternalistic, sexist song lyrics have no place at a modern American university. Changing the word "cheer" to "join" makes the song inclusive because joining is the act of including oneself--in this case as a peer of the "brave and bold" men.
Yeah but caving to people who get their feelings hurt by a song is pathetic. I’m sorry I just don’t care about their feelings.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
My experience from the inside was that very few faculty care or think about this stuff. Although I suppose the few into this crap are more likely to end up on the faculty senate.

I always observed the fountainheads of nonsense were non faculty admins with a title like assistant director of whatever or maybe even assistant provost etc. Look out for anyone who thinks it’s important to clarify their he/she/it/her/his gender confusion.

Hopefully these people lose their jobs at some point in a tight economy. But in the meantime they throw their minuscule weight around because everybody is scared ööööless of political incorrectness, and/or they just don’t want to deal with it.

However bad you think university admin is, it’s generally 10x worse (with some noteworthy exceptions of course).

GTRules

You’re Mamma
May I pretend to support this change since no one here does:

The lyrics suggest that a woman's role "on the campus" is being on the sidelines to "cheer" on the boys. Worse, they focus only on how she is dressed. Women can do more than just be pretty cheerleaders. These paternalistic, sexist song lyrics have no place at a modern American university. Changing the word "cheer" to "join" makes the song inclusive because joining is the act of including oneself--in this case as a peer of the "brave and bold" men.
Who, in your opinion, is the daughter in the song?

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Who, in your opinion, is the daughter in the song?
What do you mean? The daughter is the person referred to in these lyrics:
"Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus, to join the brave and bold."

GTRules

You’re Mamma
And put her on the campus, to join the brave and bold."
Yes. But who is she and what is her relationship to the institute?

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Daughter of a Georgia Tech alum/fan. She is a prospective student (prospie). The alum/fan is a helluva engineer.
So you are saying that the daughter of an alum should "join" the brave and bold, and not just "cheer" the brave and bold.

So who is the "brave and bold" that you think she should be joining?

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
So you are saying that the daughter of an alum should "join" the brave and bold, and not just "cheer" the brave and bold.

So who is the "brave and bold" that you think she should be joining?
Georgia Tech

I think I see what you're getting at, but it seems ambiguous to me whether "brave and bold" refers to Georgia Tech as a group or whether it refers specifically to the football team.

The fact that the song is played not just at football games implies it doesn't just refer to the football team

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold."
Fixed it for ya.