For Da U coaches…

NikeJacket

wears adidas now
Victory Formation

I give Key credit for sharing his coaching knowledge.

64A7A505-C2F4-486B-AE8D-DBC2CD895A2A.jpeg

But really, it didn't matter if they scored 2 points
Somehow them scoring the 2 points AND us getting some stupid 15 yard penalty on the play may have. They have a great kicker. I believe there is still the rule in CFB that if you fair catch a kick, you have the option to take a free kick (undefended). I know it is an NFL rule. Give their guy enough field and it would be worth a shot.

Of course, the chances of them blocking a XP, running it back for 2, us getting some 15 yard penalties to set the kickoff back, them fair catching the kickoff AND being smart enough to choose a free kick FG attempt for the win, is probably as good of a shot as Salma Hayak kicking in my door right now demanding sex from me (JJacket stares at door....don't kick it Salma, it is not locked)

Somehow them scoring the 2 points AND us getting some stupid 15 yard penalty on the play may have. They have a great kicker. I believe there is still the rule in CFB that if you fair catch a kick, you have the option to take a free kick (undefended). I know it is an NFL rule. Give their guy enough field and it would be worth a shot.

Of course, the chances of them blocking a XP, running it back for 2, us getting some 15 yard penalties to set the kickoff back, them fair catching the kickoff AND being smart enough to choose a free kick FG attempt for the win, is probably as good of a shot as Salma Hayak kicking in my door right now demanding sex from me (JJacket stares at door....don't kick it Salma, it is not locked)

No free kick in NCAA, but with where they got the ball after the kickoff, a 15-yard PI on us would have given them an untimed down and a chance to try about a 60-yard FG if they wanted to. But I actually think that's a better argument for why we should have kicked the XP as normal to make it a 4-point game.

No free kick in NCAA, but with where they got the ball after the kickoff, a 15-yard PI on us would have given them an untimed down and a chance to try about a 60-yard FG if they wanted to. But I actually think that's a better argument for why we should have kicked the XP as normal to make it a 4-point game.
Because in the "don't kick it" scenario, they never get the opportunity for a game winning FG after a block and return

Making the XP is not a sure thing with our special teams. Although we’re getting better at XP and field goals. I still have PTSD from our kicking game.

It isn't, but it's still more likely than missing, and FAR more likely than having it blocked and returned for 2 points.

I don't understand why more teams don't just kickoff deep and out-of-bounds. own 35 yd line and less than 5 sec is damn near impossible.

It isn't, but it's still more likely than missing, and FAR more likely than having it blocked and returned for 2 points.
It wasn't only about that. Even if you kick the XP and say you have an inadvertent hands to the face by a blocker or something, that 15 yarder gets assessed on the kickoff. Then you give them much shorter field to try a hail mary or long FG.

We don't get Miami at home again until 2025.
I guess we'll have to serenade their next coach with chants of "Take a knee!" all game long then.
With the addition of our Texas and West Coast friends who knows when we will see Miami at home next.

I don't understand why more teams don't just kickoff deep and out-of-bounds. own 35 yd line and less than 5 sec is damn near impossible.
I wonder how hard it is for a kicker to hit someone in the first row with the ball. Aim for a player in the middle of the first row, keep it low and even if you miss, you get a squib to the middle of the field. Even for regular kickoffs, I'd look into kicking a groundball down the middle and force the returner to field it and try a return.

On a kickoff, couldn't we have chose the punt option? You don't have to kick off a tee, do you? Not sure. Not sure how it works. I'd guess there is a rule about it since, of you decide to punt it, you shouldn't be able to onside kick.

Of course, I still think we should have booted it out of the end zone like our normal kickoffs or aimed it to the pylon where worst case they get the 35 YL. Best case the 25 YL

Back