For Da U coaches…

öööö da Canes. I hope we never see their sorry asses again cept for some ersatz bowl game or something. They make me feel creepy crawly.
Just as easy to fly to Dallas to play SMU than Miami to play the Canes. Probably easier, being SMU is close to an airport and has their own stadium.

Just as easy to fly to Dallas to play SMU than Miami to play the Canes. Probably easier, being SMU is close to an airport and has their own stadium.
Both stadiums are the same driving distance from their airports.

No free kick in NCAA, but with where they got the ball after the kickoff, a 15-yard PI on us would have given them an untimed down and a chance to try about a 60-yard FG if they wanted to. But I actually think that's a better argument for why we should have kicked the XP as normal to make it a 4-point game.
Well, being as how I'm a Tech fan, I knew it didn't matter what we did in the moment cause I just knew my heart was about to be ripped out of my chest watching them rugby up and down the field on a miracle of their own.

Only when we won was I able to care about the decision, and now, I still don't know which way is "right" given the scenario even sitting back with the advantage of Monday Morning QBing.

Both stadiums are the same driving distance from their airports.
I guess my parents having lived in Miami back in the 90's I just don't think of Joe Robbie being close to the airport. It is a öööö hole, or was.

OTOH, at least you get a college campus with SMU

I guess my parents having lived in Miami back in the 90's I just don't think of Joe Robbie being close to the airport. It is a öööö hole, or was.

OTOH, at least you get a college campus with SMU
I assume you are talking about campuses for tailgating purposes only. UM's campus is pretty ööööing spectacular. I was there Friday with my son for prospective admission tours, and wow, I did college the wrong way at GT...

I assume you are talking about campuses for tailgating purposes only. UM's campus is pretty ööööing spectacular. I was there Friday with my son for prospective admission tours, and wow, I did college the wrong way at GT...
UM's campus and where UM plays football are two entirely different things. UM is ultimately a rich kid private school that sponsors a football team

It wasn't only about that. Even if you kick the XP and say you have an inadvertent hands to the face by a blocker or something, that 15 yarder gets assessed on the kickoff. Then you give them much shorter field to try a hail mary or long FG.

Sure, but we already intentionally kicked the kickoff short, so we took care of that 15 yards on our own.

I doubt anyone flies into Miami International for a game in Miami. Ft Lauderdale airport is much closer to the stadium and a whole lot easier to get in and out of.

Looked pretty intentional to me. I've never seen an intended deep kick come off a kicker's foot like that.
I think it was supposed to be short, but it wasn't supposed to go out of bounds. If you can get the ball to stop around the 20, then you make miami either attempt to return for a TD or take the ball where it stops. Kicking out of bounds gives them the 35 or spot + 5 whichever is better.

I doubt anyone flies into Miami International for a game in Miami. Ft Lauderdale airport is much closer to the stadium and a whole lot easier to get in and out of.
As far as driving distance they’re virtually identical. Time is traffic dependent. Big plus besides convenience for Ft L is it is often cheaper to fly in to vs MIA.

I think it was supposed to be short, but it wasn't supposed to go out of bounds. If you can get the ball to stop around the 20, then you make miami either attempt to return for a TD or take the ball where it stops. Kicking out of bounds gives them the 35 or spot + 5 whichever is better.
The ball going out of bounds on the kickoff is just as well. I would rather have my regular defense on the field when all that lateral stuff is going on than my kick off team.

If you can get a dumbass to touch the ball and fall down, game over. The clock STARTS there. It isn't a fair catch type play.

If you can get a dumbass to touch the ball and fall down, game over. The clock STARTS there. It isn't a fair catch type play.
could you recover a kickoff without using any time? Could a miami player grab the ball and immediately take a knee and leave the 2 seconds on the clock?

could you recover a kickoff without using any time? Could a miami player grab the ball and immediately take a knee and leave the 2 seconds on the clock?
They might put a second on, but I doubt any Miami player is smart enough to do that. All we needed was for one player just to touch the ball.

Back