Former Georgia Tech coordinator to oversee Maryland's inside linebackers.

Re: Former Georgia Tech coordinator to oversee Maryland\'s inside linebackers.

Hired as a defensive position coach... hmmmm

O'Brien will do a great job I'm sure. Best wishes to him and his family. He's a great coach and a heck of a recruiter.

Thank you Coach O'Brien for all your years at GT!

GO JACKETS!

Every football staff needs a good couch don't they, Terrif?
wink.gif

It is interesting that he will be coaching under his mentor but on the other side of the ball.

My gut feeling was "piss on him" he's with an enemy now.

However, this simply does not feel to me like Marone leaving O'Leary to go to Athens.

There were SERIOUS issues in the changing of guards in that this was the best possible solution for both BOB and CG.

There's no doubt in my mind that CG wants (and will do everything he can) to build our program into a Top 25 power.

Still, there's some VERY IMPORTANT questions that will be answered this year. I'd like to predict a few now:

Now that BOB's gone and CG is going to take on the responsibility as "O" coordinator, what's to be expected?
I don't think it will be the Dan Reeve's 2 runs, pass, and punt philosophy during the late 90's but it won't be Ralph's multi-formation, multi-possibility look either. What are our strenghts? Right now, it damn sure isn't QB but we have a pretty good TB coming off an injury and some above average receivers. We have some experience in the OL with the potential for Dorsey to be a first rounder in the 2004 NFL draft. Your guess is as good as mine but keep in mind that Chan called the plays for the Steelers behind Neil O'Donnell with Kordell Stewart lining up at WR and took them to a Super Bowl.

Why is BOB a defensive position coach for Ralph and why didn't he stay?

There was a strong disagreement on what BOB's assignment would be next year and this was his best bet. Note in his BIO that he actually played the position in college and has experience (althought it brief) in coaching DE's and LB's.
If I'm not mistaken, the OC for Ralph is pretty old and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that "promises" were made to BOB but that the inside LB job would have to be his stepping stone job until others were gone for whatever reason.

What does this mean for next year's Thursday night game in Atlanta?
Means to me that we just went from a 4 point underdog to at least 7. Honestly, with the exception of possibly Clemson and probably UNC, who are you going to favor us against at home next year? That answer can quickly change with a healthy comeback and return to form from Gathers and Hollings, a productive year from either Bilbo or AJ, some contributions from a couple of newcomers to the starting roles, and some coaching staff continuity.

I too wish BOB well at Maryland and I believe we're going to see him head up a major D-1 program some day. However, I hope he NEVER gets a win over Tech and if so, I hope he didn't burn bridges when he departed! He certainly didn't in my book.

"Now that BOB's gone and CG is going to take on the responsibility as "O" coordinator, what's to be expected?"

What did I miss? Has Gailey said this?

Something odd is going on. BO'B was an eyelash and someone else's lie from being OC at Notre Dame? And now he is inside linebacker coach at Maryland?

Spin this one, Beeware.

You have to hand it to the Fridge. He, like Coach O'leary, is not afraid to surround himself with talented coaches. And, also like Coach O'leary, he is not afraid of who gets the credit for the success...because he knows that it is the success itself that is important.

The Fridge obviously knows that Coach O'Brien is one the best young coaches in the land. He knows he is smart and multi-talented and capable of coaching either offense or defense.

Just another excellent coaching hire by the Fridge, to make an already terrific staff even that much stronger. He also knows that Coach O'Brien was not allowed to do his job this last year.

Congrats to the Fridge and Coach O'Brien.....definitely our loss and Maryland's gain.

Note to belly,
No spin necessary.....why do rats leave sinking ships? Because they know they are going down and they don't want to go down with the sinking ship. Especially when you can get a ride on the Fridge's rocket ship. Night and day difference.

Originally posted by beeware:
You have to hand it to the Fridge. He, like Coach O'leary, is not afraid to surround himself with talented coaches. And, also like Coach O'leary, he is not afraid of who gets the credit for the success...because he knows that it is the success itself that is important.

The Fridge obviously knows that Coach O'Brien is one the best young coaches in the land. He knows he is smart and multi-talented and capable of coaching either offense or defense.

Just another excellent coaching hire by the Fridge, to make an already terrific staff even that much stronger. He also knows that Coach O'Brien was not allowed to do his job this last year.

Congrats to the Fridge and Coach O'Brien.....definitely our loss and Maryland's gain.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You need a little more yo-yo practice, beeware, that's not very good spinning. The guy goes from OC to not even linebacker but INSIDE linebacker coach, and all you can do is make the same tired complaint about Gailey? It honestly sounds like a mercy hire to me. BO'B seems like a terrif guy, but he flopped under two different NFL-wise HCs as an OC. If he's so brilliant, why isn't he at least QB coach for Fridge? Same deal as with Mac, I guess, it takes a special eye-one that no HC or AD has-to see what you see.

beeware,
You have finally revealed yourself as FOC...

Full
Of
Crap

Your post in this thread is the ultimate spin job. Your defense against spinning is a spin job as well.

on beeware and his redundant spin:
"It's like a deaf man dancing or a blind man shooting pool
Heaven help the fool, heaven help the fool"--Bob Weir

I missed your joke about needing a "couch", spellingbee; pretty funny. Is anyone as happy on Friday as a schoolteacher? Only a preacher, maybe, on Sunday afternoon.

Did I miss something? Didn't BOB RESIGN? In the coaching business, it seems to me that going from O.C. to ILB coach is a pretty steep drop on the ol' success ladder. I contend that, unless BOB is a complete moron, there must be something seriously wrong at The Flats for him to accept such a demotion.

Originally posted by yellowfalcon56:
Did I miss something? Didn't BOB RESIGN? In the coaching business, it seems to me that going from O.C. to ILB coach is a pretty steep drop on the ol' success ladder. I contend that, unless BOB is a complete moron, there must be something seriously wrong at The Flats for him to accept such a demotion.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, what WAS seriously wrong at the flats was the job BO'B was doing working with coach Gailey. If he REALLY turned down an OC job at Stanford to go to Maryland as ILB coach...well, we have a strange story. I don't think the conclusion that something IS "seriously wrong at the flats" can be sustained at this point. Bo'b was not ready, regardless of what GO'L or Braine or Gailey might have thought, to be an OC. Now that is being acknowledged. Clearly, Fridge doesn't regard him as being any sort of offensive coach at this point, whatever he might have said to OLeary at the end of the 2000 season.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
Every football staff needs a good couch don't they, Terrif?
wink.gif

It is interesting that he will be coaching under his mentor but on the other side of the ball.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh yes. They can take a nap when needed.
wink.gif

Coach O'Brien will need it through his career.

I get it! You're "walking the dog" with that yo-yo! If any given situation can be turned into a negative about GT personnel, spin it THAT way. Walk that Dawg, beeware!

You have absolutely no proof that BOB is widely regarded as one of the brightest coaches in the entire nation.

That is a spin job promoted by a few of the old Hive "BOB faithful". I have never heard that from any of the coaches around the nation or any of the announcers. I have heard that Ralph and George has stated such, but you have to disregard those remarks as being biased.

He was interviewed by Minnesota after GOL went there, but that was probably token by them because GOL asked them for the interview. He was interviewed by another team, but they did not want him either.

It appears he is not in demand by the pros, Division I, or Division II colleges. You would think he would have been swamped by offers to be an OC at a lot of schools or even a candidate for a head coaching job at a smaller college. The proof is just not there, so it is nothing more than a spin job.

It is not well known if Stanford actually offered him the OC there. Since Kelly is there, it is possible he was given another quick look by them to appease Kelly. Maybe all of his former associates are trying to help build up his image as a wanted man.

It is strange, he would accept a demotion at Maryland rather than an OC position at Stanford to be reunited with Kelly. So, it seems, his only offers or feelers, if you may, are from the past staff at Tech who are sympathetic with him.

For all we know, all of this is part of a spin job by those previously associated with him to try and make Tech look bad for not hiring one of GOL's aides as the head coach at Tech.

You still need to get that bucket fixed. It is still full of holes and the water is leaving it as fast as it is being poured in the bucket.

I think spellingbee has come up with a dandy new name for the acronym FOC. Pretty funny spelling bee.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I think spellingbee has come up with a dandy new name for the acronym FOC.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Some of us have known that is what FOC stood for all along. It has dual meaning....can't have one without the other.
shocked.gif

I think it is VERY presumptous of everyone to think they know the circumstances of why BO'B left.

The one fact we do know is the QB's and the offense underperformed. It is reasonable to assume that if BO'b would have stayed he would have been pushed further out of the picture.

I personally believe that there was one of those "if you get another opportunity" talks which BO'B took to heart.

we will know 4 games into the season where we are at so ALL THIS BLIND SPECULATION is useless.

The speculation may be useless on my part, but it warms my heart to be able to needle BeeWare at this particular time. Who knows, maybe one day BeeWare will get down off his high horse about this area of GT football. When he does, I am sure I will not ring his bell any more.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Law-bee, did you realize you used an oxymoron philosophy or did you do it on purpose?

You stated it was very presumptious for anyone to think they know the circumstances of why BOB left.

Next you stated your opinion "I personally believe that there was one of those "if you get another opportunity" talks which BO'B took to heart.

?

wink.gif

Beeware, why don't you just cut to the chase and admit you aren't a Tech fan? Your spin on this is absolutely pathetic (or would sheer be better). How on earth you can take that position, I have no clue. An OC to an ILB coach? Good grief.

Back