Former Georgia Tech coordinator to oversee Maryland's inside linebackers.

Re: Former Georgia Tech coordinator to oversee Maryland\'s inside linebackers.

Why care what bo'b is doing now? He did not want to bee at GT for over a year and he has stunk since his debut as OC in the Peach Bowl. He did NOTHING to help AJ or DeBo.

Originally posted by casbah62:
BUT he was in way over his head as OC at TECH....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">cas,

Coach O'Brien is not the one that is in way over his head....and you cannot entirely blame Coach O'Brien for the offensive performance this year since he was not allowed to do his job.

Make no mistake about it that the Fridge clearly understands the situation.

Bullshit, beeware.

Originally posted by beeware:

Make no mistake about it that the Fridge clearly understands the situation.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware, of course Fridge does ... that's why BOB is back on the defensive side of the ball... I knew you'd come around...
wink.gif

BeeWare, you have NO CLUE!

bsmeter.gif
bsmeter.gif
bsmeter.gif
bsmeter.gif

Casbah, it is apparent you understand the process.

wink.gif

no wonder we didn't have an offense the last two years under both o'leary and gailey.

because our OC was actually a freaking ILB coach!!!

Originally posted by casbah62:
Beeware...... I knew you'd come around...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">cas,

The Fridge just added another terrific coach to a staff that is already the best in the ACC.

He also just had the best recruiting class in Maryland history according to Max Emfinger and at least two other of the recruiting gurus.

Now you tell me...which program is in good hands?
I think Coach O'Brien just voted loud and clear with his feet.
shocked.gif

As much as I love TECH, and as much as I hate to see Coach O'Brien go, I certainly can't blame him for not going down with the ship.

So Beeware... When are you leaving for UMD???
It's just fascinating that per RF's suggestion we promoted BOB to OC... then for two years UMD thumped us ... both losses I feel lay more directly at the feet of the offense than defense... Now that RF has hired him back (or maybe let him back in the house like a teenager who moved out too soon)... He's been put on the D side of the ball... how come he's good enough to be our OC but when he who made the suggestion has the opportunity to hire him he doesn't even put him on that side of the ball as a coach???
Again I'm sure that BOB is a good coach but NOTHING in his history shows that he is or ever will be a good OC...
I think RF laughed all the way to the bank with his 2 victories over us these past 2 seasons... AND now that our offense will hve a new look next season RF may actually have to study film on us...

cas,
Feel free to bash Coach O'Brien if you like, but it is downright silly to make a big deal out of him taking the LB coaching job under the Fridge.

The Fridge already has a great staff and had only one opening. It has been reported in the papers that the Fridge's OC Charlie Taafe is becoming highly sought after as a head coach (apparently Braine interviewed him before unfortunately hiring Chan), and is likely to be gone after the 2003 season. The Fridge is just very smart, and very lucky, to already have Taafe's replacement on board.

It is not unusual for someone to leave a sinking organization and take a job with a rising organization, even if it takes a year or so for the intended job to come open.

I think you clearly understand this....so your disingenuousness is duly noted.

BeeWare, I am not ganging up on you, but let me ask you another question. If Taafe takes another job and Ralph does not fill the OC position with O'Brien, will that change your mind any?

wink.gif

Thank you, Beeware.

originally quoted by beeware
Make no mistake about it that the Fridge clearly understands the situation.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So this is why RF waited until BOB was out at Tech to offer him a defensive position?
Get real, if RF had the belief that BOB was a great offensive mastermind, BOB would have been with him at Maryland from day one. Even if he thought he was a diamond in the rough, it would have been a perfect situation for them to continue to work together and continue his mentoring of BOB.

So that didn't happen, perhaps out of deference to GO. Then the next logical step would have been for RF to jump at the opportunity to grab him when he could. He had that opportunity when CG was hired. I he had truly wanted him, he could have had him then.

As Ahso said, "your bucket holds no water."

As belly said, "bullshit."

As I said, "you are FOC."

As Bob Weir said "It's like a deaf man dancing or a blind man shooting pool
Heaven help the fool, heaven help the fool"

Beeware... time will tell... interesting that we were all so excited to have the same OC 'already in place' when RF left us for his alma mater...
As for disingenuous I'm in fact being quite frank... I think that RF sucker punched us with the BOB for OC... how's that for frankness and candor??? Football is won in many areas of the field; on as well as off...
And although I'm growing weary of this speculative debate I will none the less continue to wonder why with the few opportunities that BOB was offered in the past 2 seasons the result was a demotion in prestige and a return to the protective tutelege of one whom's shadow never left BOB in the two seasons he was in charge at TECH...
And please don't misconstrue my remarks... BOB is a fine man, a good coach and a strong recruiter but you have berated many at TECH for questioning his abilities as OC and there has been nothing in any recent history to back up any of your claims that he is some marvel that will be irreplaceable... Only time will tell but his current situation does nothing to back you up... It only reinforces my belief that RF perhaps stole Taaft from us while leading us to believe that we had some kind've of magic beans in our sack...

Beeware... please turn down the Grateful Dead on the stereo.. and stay away from the mushrooms for a while.. LOL...

beeware said
Feel free to bash Coach O'Brien if you like, but it is downright silly to make a big deal out of him taking the LB coaching job under the Fridge.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">To be fair, most are bashing you, not BOB. The reason a big deal is being made out of the demotion is because you have made such a big deal all year long about the greatness of BOB's offensive coaching skills.

You may be right and RF could just be sticking him in his pocket until another year. I don't think so, but time will tell. But you have to know that, as HC, RF could have re-organized the staff or created a position for him in order to keep him of the offensive side of the ball.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
So that didn't happen, perhaps out of deference to GO. Then the next logical step would have been for RF to jump at the opportunity to grab him when he could. He had that opportunity when CG was hired. I he had truly wanted him, he could have had him then.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">spellin',

You are right that he didn't take him immediately out of deference to Coach O'leary.

And he didn't take him after CG was hired because he had already hired an offensive coordinator; and Coach O'Brien was retained as offensive coordinator by CG...the same CG that said publicly that he would not interfere with the fine offense that we already had. Yeah, right.

Coach O'Brien has worked with Chan for a year. He recently voted NO CONFIDENCE with his feet. Simple as that.

Our loss.....Fridge's gain.

So BW, you really beelieve that the fridge would not have hired the best OC he could when he took the maryhadalittleland job. According to you that would have been bo'b, but fridge did not hire him. Why? Out of respect for O'L? Then why did he hire Solazzo(?), out of disrespect for O'L? You have yet to ever respond to anyone's challenge to your hateful comments towards Tech, DB, or CG. You are an idiot or a coward. As to your comment about bo'b not being allowed to do his job, you are full of you know what. If anyone was not allowed to do their job it was DB because he wanted to hire Tom O'Brien but was not allowed to do his job by clough. Yet you continue not to hold the boss, clough, responsible for anything.

Originally posted by texstinger:
So BW, you really beelieve that the fridge would not have hired the best OC he could when he took the maryhadalittleland job. According to you that would have been bo'b, but fridge did not hire him. Why? Out of respect for O'L? Then why did he hire Solazzo(?), out of disrespect for O'L? You have yet to ever respond to anyone's challenge to your hateful comments towards Tech, DB, or CG. You are an idiot or a coward. As to your comment about bo'b not being allowed to do his job, you are full of you know what. If anyone was not allowed to do their job it was DB because he wanted to hire Tom O'Brien but was not allowed to do his job by clough. Yet you continue not to hold the boss, clough, responsible for anything.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">texstinger,
You have made several comments that are factually in error.

Show me a post where I said that Coach O'Brien was THE best OC.

A coach leaving one school to go to another has to be careful about raiding that school's coaches...especially when he is leaving a friend like O'leary. Taking a line coach with him is entirely different than taking an OC.

Show me where I have ever made a hateful comment about TECH. On the other hand, DB's and CG's abilities (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

You honestly think that Coach O'Brien's offense was not muzzled by Chan? Not a chance.

If DB wanted to hire Tom O'Brien...he should have hired him. Not sure that he would have been a great choice...but would agree that he would have been light years better than CG.

Beeware, I've seen no evidence that the offense we ran last year wasn't BOB's. Looked just like the one we ran in '01 to me. Of course, I guess that year was the fault of your other coaching idol, GO.

Seriously, it sure looked like the same basic offense. We didn't execute it last year, but I don't know how you can attribute the problems we had to Chan, except for the fact that you have made no bones about your dislike for him since he was announced as the coach. Face it, BOB shows promise, but doesn't have the experience yet. He may get there, and coaching under the Fridge and Charlie Taafe is a good way to get it. I hope he does well. But I hope Tech does better.

Back