Free Pass for UNC

We need the fact that a university offered fake courses to everyone and didn't get punished by an academic body to be a bigger story than the fact that a university offered fake courses to everyone and their football team didn't get punished by the ncaa.

That's fine. I agree that UNC should lose its accreditation for what they did. And yes it is a bigger story. It doesn't mean their athletic department shouldn't also be punished.

if accreditation in any way affects UNC's ability to receive grants or matching funds or (academic) scholarship money or things of a monetary nature, then perhaps the accreditation boards can have a positive effect on the situation

unless they do, it seems that most UNC alumni are fine with the school building a sports-grad program so that they can see how awesome their school is in sports beating Duke in BBall and NC State in football.

the students seem to have the right to target the university for providing a sub-standard academic study program, but the NCAA cannot control the study programs offered by universities. it can only monitor whether a (student)-athlete is moving toward the required degree goals in an orderly fashion

if it is normal for a student to have only mastered "staying inside the lines" and "contrasting colors and the color wheel" by year three by the average group of students in that program; and if the students appear to moving toward their degree goal with the ability to finish it, then they are within the guidelines

it is not for the NCAA to approve or accredit programs of study, could you imagine?

Seems to me the NCAA didn't uphold their responsibility to monitor UNC. I can see suing them too.

Losing the accreditation would KILL UNC, making it off-limits for all federal aid or pretty much any federal money.

It's not going to happen. What's tough is the accrediting guidelines say there needs to be rigorous curricula but also puts a lot on independence of faculty. Auburn had a problem with their accreditation at the same time as the NY Times story on Auburn paper classes. But the paper classes were by a faculty member and SACS did not do anything, as far as I can tell. The action by SACS dealt with Lowder's attempted coup, usurping the authority of the president and AD.

Independent faculty has limits. The accreditation guidelines say courses have to be rigorous and students ultimately fulfill necessary competencies. But it also states independence of how faculty members teach their classes. The academic administrators used that independence to not ask too many questions of the AFAM teacher. In reality, they were afraid of an awkward conversation. SACS ultimately came down on UNC because the courses were not taught by a faculty member.

I never pulled for North Carolina, but I used to respect UNC. I hate to see this happen at any school, particularly an ACC school. Regardless of what the NCAA does or doesn't do, the damage to UNC's image has been done. This should be a lesson to all other schools that are in the pressure cooker of big time athletics. I hope it never happens at Tech.

The players suing UNC is such a joke. They willingly forfeited the opportunity to get a real education by taking those courses. They know what they were doing. If they can prove that UNC forced them to take those courses then I'll change my tune.

Losing the accreditation would KILL UNC, making it off-limits for all federal aid or pretty much any federal money.

It's not going to happen. What's tough is the accrediting guidelines say there needs to be rigorous curricula but also puts a lot on independence of faculty. Auburn had a problem with their accreditation at the same time as the NY Times story on Auburn paper classes. But the paper classes were by a faculty member and SACS did not do anything, as far as I can tell. The action by SACS dealt with Lowder's attempted coup, usurping the authority of the president and AD.

Independent faculty has limits. The accreditation guidelines say courses have to be rigorous and students ultimately fulfill necessary competencies. But it also states independence of how faculty members teach their classes. The academic administrators used that independence to not ask too many questions of the AFAM teacher. In reality, they were afraid of an awkward conversation. SACS ultimately came down on UNC because the courses were not taught by a faculty member.

This problem is that African American studies is a joke of a degree program and is accredited by Al Sharpton.

The truth is that they sold out and the ACC should do something, which is against Swofford's religion.

This problem is that African American studies is a joke of a degree program and is accredited by Al Sharpton.

The truth is that they sold out and the ACC should do something, which is against Swofford's religion.

The program under the old dean actually had a lot of rigor and UNC athletes avoided it. Even now, regular students in AFAM and who seek to go to grad school take a lot of statistics and write a lot of honest papers.

There are interesting issues considering "real" these liberal arts schools like sociology are.

The program under the old dean actually had a lot of rigor and UNC athletes avoided it. Even now, regular students in AFAM and who seek to go to grad school take a lot of statistics and write a lot of honest papers.

There are interesting issues considering "real" these liberal arts schools like sociology are.

Where are the accreditors? Ferguson? Still a useless degree like Clemson's Parks and Rec and everything at Georgia where beer isn't involved.

Back