Free Pass for UNC

It just means that they shouldn't be legally liable for UNC offering fake classes.

...NCAA is no more legally liable / responsible for this than they were for the Sandusky case, but they jumped head first into that one. The inconsistency from the NCAA is absurd, and not just in these cases (see: $317 for clothing that was returned)

True. That would say that anyone who took those classes, athlete or not, should be able to sue, right? Because they were all giving something in exchange for an education.

Anyone who took those classes should be able to sue UNC, but the athletic scholarships are governed by NCAA and NCAA only benefits from the SAs not the entirety of the student body. So I would say non-athlete students wouldn't have a case against NCAA.

...NCAA is no more legally liable / responsible for this than they were for the Sandusky case, but they jumped head first into that one. The inconsistency from the NCAA is absurd, and not just in these cases (see: $317 for clothing that was returned)
Honestly that is one of the first things I thought too but didn't really want to make that comparison. I would say that didn't/don't belong in either case.
Anyone who took those classes should be able to sue UNC, but the athletic scholarships are governed by NCAA and NCAA only benefits from the SAs not the entirety of the student body. So I would say non-athlete students wouldn't have a case against NCAA.
That's fair. I don't think I agree with it, but I do understand the logic.

e27369c0-1db8-11e4-bb83-07f033d36e00_SpotlightPhoto_031.jpg

That's the question du jour. Even if you could justify the NCAA's existence, its tax-exempt status should be heavily scrutinized.

The NCAA exists so that people bitch and moan about the NCAA and don't tarnish the UNC, UA, Kentucky brands.

The NCAA is run by the colleges. It basically exists to direct the heat they should be getting onto a 3rd party.

Don't most athletes get to register early or have priority registration? So if you have a no show class, you can "offer" it to the whole student body, but limit it in available slots so that only those with early/priority registration can realistically get into the class.

I think you are way overestimating how many schools are willing to make no show classes available to the student population in general. I have a feeling you would have trouble finding a single UNC alum or faculty member who says they're okay with what happened or that they should do it again, or any alum from another school who says theirs should do it.

The fact the Chapel Hill campus isn't burned to the ground by a hoard of UNC alums convinces me they truly, as a whole, don't give a öööö about the cheating or the stinking, smelly turd their degree has turned into.

Also, I think there are enough like minded schools out there Pandora's box could open pretty quickly, if the NCAA maintains the course they're on.

The fact the Chapel Hill campus isn't burned to the ground by a hoard of UNC alums convinces me they truly, as a whole, don't give a öööö about the cheating or the stinking, smelly turd their degree has turned into.

Also, I think there are enough like minded schools out there Pandora's box could open pretty quickly, if the NCAA maintains the course they're on.
Maybe they don't. But if they don't, that's not the NCAA's problem in my opinion, nor should it be. If they want to turn their university info a joke, it's their own prerogative; as long as they're not offering the courses to athletes only.

Of course, what this is really all dancing around is the fact that college athletics is nothing more than a business now, and it's absurd to pretend that the players are there mainly for educational purposes. It's all about justifying not paying them.

If it was really about education, they wouldn't have to go to school until after their playing career was over, so they wouldn't have to make the perverse choice of choosing a real education or choosing the easiest one so that they have the best shot of going pro.

What I'm hearing is that the NCAA would be perfectly fine with a school offering a do nothing major with no tests, no classes, no academic rigor, where degrees are simply handed out when the student's athletic eligibility expires provided that the major is offered to the entire general student population. Is that right?

What, you mean like Georgia?

Maybe they don't. But if they don't, that's not the NCAA's problem in my opinion, nor should it be. If they want to turn their university info a joke, it's their own prerogative; as long as they're not offering the courses to athletes only.

Of course, what this is really all dancing around is the fact that college athletics is nothing more than a business now, and it's absurd to pretend that the players are there mainly for educational purposes. It's all about justifying not paying them.

If it was really about education, they wouldn't have to go to school until after their playing career was over, so they wouldn't have to make the perverse choice of choosing a real education or choosing the easiest one so that they have the best shot of going pro.

I think the AAC and ACC should get involved as well as the many accrediting boards that oversee academics. Really make their school a joke by publicly humiliating them. That will get the alumni upset. If the school you received your engineering degree from was suddenly discredited, you would scream bloody murder at the administration for allowing it to happen.

I think the AAC and ACC should get involved as well as the many accrediting boards that oversee academics. Really make their school a joke by publicly humiliating them. That will get the alumni upset. If the school you received your engineering degree from was suddenly discredited, you would scream bloody murder at the administration for allowing it to happen.

This is the solution.

If a school without a football team at all did what UNC did, they'd lose their accreditation.

UNC's AA shouldn't be held responsible for failures directly within the academic arm. And the academic arm is mostly responsible.

But having read through the long PDF concerning the issues, the AA was INSTRUMENTAL in the classes being offered, especially after the administrator had left. The administrator was married to a former UNC basketball player and it becomes difficult to see where the athletics end and the faculty begins. Furthermore, you have the improper help by tutors.

Ultimately the accreditation organizations are responsible, as well as the Board, President, Provost and Deans to actually care about the education they give, and not just grant dollars.

college sports are a house of cards that will fall over the next ten years

NCAAB has all the "one and dones" which is clearly not furthering their education and NCAAF has all the bogus students that are belittling legit universities

all these sports will have to go to semi-pro "baseball" type league in the NEAR future

at the same time you have a trillion dollars in unsecured student debt

It is all coming down over the next 10 years. IMO

The thing is, you talk about the school turning into a joke, but has this resulted in any tangible backlash against them yet or has it all just been mean words?

The thing is, you talk about the school turning into a joke, but has this resulted in any tangible backlash against them yet or has it all just been mean words?

Probably just mean words. But the main thing that makes a degree valuable is if people think and say very nice things about it when they see it listed as a credential, so I wouldn't be too dismissive of that.

But I agree it is unfortunate that nothing concrete has happened. I just don't think it's the NCAA's place to do it.

Probably just mean words. But the main thing that makes a degree valuable is if people think and say very nice things about it when they see it listed as a credential, so I wouldn't be too dismissive of that.

But I agree it is unfortunate that nothing concrete has happened. I just don't think it's the NCAA's place to do it.

Yes you're right. We need a better governing body to regulate collegiate athletics.

Yes you're right. We need a better governing body to regulate collegiate athletics.
We need the fact that a university offered fake courses to everyone and didn't get punished by an academic body to be a bigger story than the fact that a university offered fake courses to everyone and their football team didn't get punished by the ncaa.

Back