Further SEC Expansion?

The only way Tech wins is if the ACC disbands. SEC will have to take 7 plus ND. New TV package for the SEC plus expanded college playoff. SEC may do it as a big FU to the ACC for screwing up the CFP

I didn't want to create a new thread just for this link, but I imagine it will interest most of you. And I KNOW it will piss off the full-of-themselves mutts in Athens

Some of the younger guys here might wonder why Texas, Penn State, Nebraska and Tennessee are that high. But for old-timers like myself there aren't any real surprises. It is amazing that OU has been ranked 61 times, and even more amazing that there were 33 times in the Top 5.

Some of the younger guys here might wonder why Texas, Penn State, Nebraska and Tennessee are that high. But for old-timers like myself there aren't any real surprises. It is amazing that OU has been ranked 61 times, and even more amazing that there were 33 times in the Top 5.
People forget too how Tennessee used to be such a powerhouse.

We may see a split into two leagues but I’m not sure FSU and Clemson offer the SEC much. Texas & Oklahoma open up major media access into the southwest, FSU and Clemson are already covered. I suspect it’s an expansion northward if it happens at all, or maybe more of the Midwest, but it will need to be teams that enhance the pie.
Thinking in those geographical terms is outdated IMHO. Big brands have big reach. Anyone actually trying to create a super-league just wants the best teams, the most successful programs, the biggest names.

Every team except a few outliers has been hit hard by attendance. I wonder if the conferences start looking at geographical alignment more and a bit less at faraway tv markets. Even on tv, the atmosphere shows through and a dead stadium is never good.

Am I the only one that sees ZERO college in “College Football” now? It’s way past dull.

I understand completely that Bobby Bowden (mostly) and Barry Switzer’s (to a lesser extent) programs were immortalized in a Hollywood film in the 1990’s.

I’m not naïve enough to think all has always been fair.

But when did stealing, lying and cheating around NCAA requirements for an education become the standard of achievement in CFB?

I’m just too damn old and ornery.

Yes the league of powerbrokers will be 32 teams or so, but remember they currently have a good balance of the weak teams. As the SEC adds more and more of the big boys, something is going to give and it won't necessarily be pleasant for everyone. Although it's only about the money so...
By the way, as the SEC expands, the ACC's ability to get on ESPN et al shrinks and funds will dry up that way too. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac should attack or they will be eaten.

This. Money is fun, but how long are the Tennessee faithful going to put up with a ceiling of 4 wins. And how many years of being a doormat will it take to shrink their brand enough that they aren’t worth keeping anymore? (Yes I get that they’ve struggled recently, but there’s a difference between struggling with hope and struggling without).

There’s some level of prestige with being a part of the best league. But if they start paying Tech $30M a year to play in the NFL…it wouldn’t take me long to get bored of watching my team get their ass beat repeatedly and continuously.

Now if this somehow morphed into a promotion/relegation system then that would be awfully interesting.

I didn't want to create a new thread just for this link, but I imagine it will interest most of you. And I KNOW it will piss off the full-of-themselves mutts in Athens
Doubt any will give AF. Most of these teams are irrelevant or middle of the pack these days. They probably care more about us than this poll which means not at all.

The only way Tech wins is if the ACC disbands. SEC will have to take 7 plus ND. New TV package for the SEC plus expanded college playoff. SEC may do it as a big FU to the ACC for screwing up the CFP
I’d like to see the SEC completely break off from college football. There is no college there. Georgia Tech needs to join a league with UNC, Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, Vandy, UVA, Penn State, Purdue, Michigan and some colleges that are actually colleges. The SEC is a dull regional sport.

I’d like to see the SEC completely break off from college football. There is no college there. Georgia Tech needs to join a league with UNC, Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, Vandy, UVA, Penn State, Purdue, Michigan and some colleges that are actually colleges. The SEC is a dull regional sport.
Yes there is; their players still attend classes.

Seriously? Yes they “go to class”.
The athletic departments at SEC schools Auburn, UGA, Bama and Tennessee especially, are only loosely affiliated with the schools themselves. Their AD budgets are completely separate from the school budgets. Also, many of those players are paid. They were paid illegally well before NIL. And now they’re being paid legally. That’s not college football. By definition that’s PROFESSIONAL football.

“We may not make a university student out of him, but if we can teach him to read and write, maybe he can work at the post office rather than as a garbageman when he gets through with his athletic career.”

Thinking in those geographical terms is outdated IMHO. Big brands have big reach. Anyone actually trying to create a super-league just wants the best teams, the most successful programs, the biggest names.
This is spot on. the 2004 expansions were about media markets. But news flash, cable tv is dying. TX and OU weren't about media markets because OK is tiny and A&M already delivers Texas. No, the future is big fan bases. Big alumni, big stadiums, fans everywhere. When I was a kid in the 90's is metro Atlanta there were a lot of georgie fans, but there were also a lot of FSU fans if you care to guess why. I bet now there are a ton of Clemson fans in the area because of their success. FSU and Clemson would absolutely help the SEC generate more media revenue because they have so many fans. I might even go after Miami because for all the talk about their empty stadium, they have fans everywhere. And when the next SEC deal kicks in and Florida is making $30,000,000 more per year in media revenue than FSU and Miami, the ACC as we know it will be no more. Only solution is for the Big10/Pac10/ACC alliance to dig their heels in and demand ESPN pay the same per school revenue to alliance schools same as SEC schools.

The athletic departments at SEC schools Auburn, UGA, Bama and Tennessee especially, are only loosely affiliated with the schools themselves. Their AD budgets are completely separate from the school budgets. Also, many of those players are paid. They were paid illegally well before NIL. And now they’re being paid legally. That’s not college football. By definition that’s PROFESSIONAL football.
Waaah, they're not playing according to the rules I want them to play under.

News flash: The AD budget at GT is completely separate from the school budget. How the hell did you not know that?
Another News flash: those are the rules now....either step the öööö up or shut the öööö up.

This is spot on. the 2004 expansions were about media markets. But news flash, cable tv is dying. TX and OU weren't about media markets because OK is tiny and A&M already delivers Texas. No, the future is big fan bases. Big alumni, big stadiums, fans everywhere. When I was a kid in the 90's is metro Atlanta there were a lot of georgie fans, but there were also a lot of FSU fans if you care to guess why. I bet now there are a ton of Clemson fans in the area because of their success. FSU and Clemson would absolutely help the SEC generate more media revenue because they have so many fans. I might even go after Miami because for all the talk about their empty stadium, they have fans everywhere. And when the next SEC deal kicks in and Florida is making $30,000,000 more per year in media revenue than FSU and Miami, the ACC as we know it will be no more. Only solution is for the Big10/Pac10/ACC alliance to dig their heels in and demand ESPN pay the same per school revenue to alliance schools same as SEC schools.
This is spot on. With the money being thrown around today, adding the basketball crazy North Carolina media markets does nothing for the SEC. National brands is what interests the SEC. Why would they add Oklahoma? For the Oklahoma TV markets…not a factor

It seems like the P5 conferences need to consolidate to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Five conferences is just an odd number, no pun intended, especially with a four team playoff.

Welcome to the past. You do realize that college football by your definition hasn’t existed in decades. Players have been bought for decades. Remember SMU? That was the mid 80’s, 35 plus years ago. You don’t think Miami, Nebraska, FSU we’re buying players during their heyday? We know what Herschel got and Cam. I’m glad to see fans are finally waking up even if it’s only 5 decades too late. I’ve been frustrated about this my entire adult life and have been begging for GT to get in the game. At least now maybe we will since it’s “legal”.

Back