Gailey, Gailey, Gailey.......

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
Well, here I go again. I have really been biting my fingers to keep from jumping into the Gailey discussions which seem to be popping up on nearly every topic now. Talk about topic creep, it all somehow seems to flow downhill to two opposing camps arguing about the head coach.

Following the UGA game last year, I came out against continuing Gailey's employment. Why am I repeating it now? Just to put my next comments in perspective.

Georgia Tech has decided to retain Chan Gailey as head coach for the 2003 season. There has not been any information since the semi-bowl to add to the hire or fire equation. Before someone jumps in with but whatabout…I'm more than convinced ( and I think I’m speaking for the vast majority of us) he does not bear any responsibility for the team's academic problems.

So what’s new vs. re-hashing old arguments? No games have been played, no games have been won or lost. Yet we still are arguing back and forth on several topics here about whether Gailey is a good or bad coach for Georgia Tech. I really don't understand it.

He is the coach, let it go (both pro and con) and let's all pull for the team. Later, which ever way the season goes, there will be new information to base our opinions on. Then this place will really light up.

Good post '71. The fact is the man will be our coach this year. I assume everybody on this board wants to win, so we need to pull for the Jackets and let the chips fall. After the year we'll see where we are.

Since you guys are two of my favorite posters, I am happy to say that I agree with you, as usual.

What is really puzzling to me is the way that Gailey himself is playing this whole thing out - I am fairly sure that he is cognizant enough to know that the Gt alumni/fan base is divided on the issue of whether or not he is the right man and both camps have made their points/counterpoints "ad nauseum".

What I find really interesting is how Chan is (apparently) not going to deal with it openly and appears to be willing to let his future be decided by the outcome of the games themselves.In other words, he appears to be content to be judged by the W-L record and/or product quality and let the chips fall where they may. I really do want him to succeed as I am getting tired of the cyclical nature of our coaching changes/cycles but he is not making any overtures to us fans/alumni who are not in the greater Atlanta area.I wish that he take the time to build up some "goodwill" so that he can earn the 3-5 years it takes to truly evaluate a coach (that is, most coaches as some are exceptions to the rule - see Tressel,Richt, Friedgen on the positive side or Lewis on the other side).I realize that he probably visits the various Tech clubs but for those of us in out of the way places we are left with almost nothing (other than what we read here or on the other board) to draw our conclusions from.His aversion to the mainstream media has been documented but does nothing for him "image-wise."

My trepidation comes from working with a number of managers,engineers, and others who focus on only the "hard" or "technical" side of business and tend to dismiss the relationship side (be it with peers,employees, or customers) as too "warm and fuzzy","not part of my real job",etc.Without fail,this mindset will keep most people from maximizing their full potential, as I think it has the potential for undermining Coach Gailey.

Again,I am more interested in his success than any other option and wish nothing but the best for him and the Jackets this year.Go Jackets.

Interesting point B. I have to agree that Chan could be doing his own cause a lot more good if he were more accessible to the fans. I guess he's old fashioned enough to think the W-L is what he's supposed to be judged on but it does seem it would be easier on all of us if he worked harder to get the fans fired up and feeling more connected.

B,

If he is willing to forgo the media spin machine and let his W/L record be the deciding factor, my respect for the man has risen.

Like it or not CCG is the Head Football Coach @GT so let's support him and imho this supports the Student Athlete's too. GT fans are few in number but the lack of quantity needs to be made up in the quality of our support.

Repeat 10 times before you post negative statements "GO JACKETS_STING'EM"

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

71Jacket - ultimately,the W-L will be the determining factor and no amount of "spin" will overcome this.However,it appears he is doing almost nothing to make some of the Tech fan base willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until such time as we can unanimously decide if he is the right man or not.I will say,this type of approach indicates he is confident in his abilities or possibly just wants to be a "ball coach" without the attendant hassles of running a college program (the type of stuff that drove Coach Ross to the NFL.) Of one thing we can be certain - time will certainly tell if he is the man or not.

One other note as to why maintaining a positive relationship with the fan base is critical - reference Jim Donnan and his w-l record.While an argument can be made that his program was "out of control" it didn't appear to be any more so than FSU's or some others.

B:

Chan was at plenty of GT club events this Spring. What else is he supposed to do? The "media" has pretty much already written him off.

FWIW, Chan is excellent at these club events.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
B,

If he is willing to forgo the media spin machine and let his W/L record be the deciding factor, my respect for the man has risen.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ABSOLUTELY!!

I'll take Bobby Ross over Pepper Rodgers any day of the week,
as a football coach. I'd much rather party with Pepper.

Well, here I go again. I have really been biting my fingers to keep from jumping into the Gailey discussions which seem to be popping up on nearly every topic now. Talk about topic creep, it all somehow seems to flow downhill to two opposing camps arguing about the head coach.

Following the UGA game last year, I came out against continuing Gailey's employment. Why am I repeating it now? Just to put my next comments in perspective.

Georgia Tech has decided to retain Chan Gailey as head coach for the 2003 season. There has not been any information since the semi-bowl to add to the hire or fire equation. Before someone jumps in with but whatabout…I'm more than convinced ( and I think I’m speaking for the vast majority of us) he does not bear any responsibility for the team's academic problems.

So what’s new vs. re-hashing old arguments? No games have been played, no games have been won or lost. Yet we still are arguing back and forth on several topics here about whether Gailey is a good or bad coach for Georgia Tech. I really don't understand it.

He is the coach, let it go (both pro and con) and let's all pull for the team. Later, which ever way the season goes, there will be new information to base our opinions on. Then this place will really light up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There is a temendous amount of apprehesion regarding the direction of the program right now and there isn't a whole lot else to talk about..certainly not anything positive. When the freshman report we can start discussing which one will start on the DL, since 3 out of 4 DL's on the spring 2-deep were declared inelgible.

Thank you Dr. B ! Gailey has been at NUMEROUS speaking engagements this offseason at both GT clubs and church oriented events. He's been in Ga, Tennessee, NC, and even down here in the panhandle of Florida (Fort Walton). If you don't make it out to see him, and expect to see him only in the media well then that's your loss.

He's an old fashioned kind of guy...wants to be judged on his word, and he believes in face to face contact. He's replied to just about every single e-mail I've sent him. He's been burned by the media so he's created a website to interact with fans. That's his way. He's STILL going to be written about and quoted in the papers. He just chooses not to live his life through the media. This has been the downfall of SO many sports figures and celebrities in recent memory.

1 more season... then chan can go back to being an offensive coordinator in the NFL... He can hide down in the basement of his house away from the fans, watch game films & draw X's & O's...

Frankly... Gailey's playing against a stacked deck. With the lower admissions at 99% of the schools we play, plus a more diverse curriculum he will really have a hard time recruiting talent for GT. Clough & Co. have not found the compromise they need for Tech to be "Harvard during the week and Notre Dame on Saturday." Until this happens it won't matter who our coach is. I think O'Leary saw the writing on the wall as did other coaches we interviewed when he left.

Now I do think Gailey would be a fine coach and would net us 7 - 8 wins per year with the occasional 10 win season *IF* he was playing on an even playing field. He's not and therefore Tech football as we know it will take a nosedive until the powers that be understand what a level playing field is. Should Tech academics suffer for athletics? No. Should Tech athletics suffer for academics? No.

Find the happy place Dr. Clough!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Holy Mother of God!!! Someone gets it!!! and on top of that he put it in clear concise easily understandable format.

Now... the for the big question... will the board "GET IT"... I doubt it.
hitit.gif

Originally posted by BeeBad:
1 more season... then chan can go back to being an offensive coordinator in the NFL... He can hide down in the basement of his house away from the fans, watch game films & draw X's & O's...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So Beebad, what you are saying is that not only do you NOT support Chan Gailey, but that you do not want him to succeed either? So you don't want him to have a winning record, even if he can go 9-3 or even 10-2?

And I got news for you Beebad... Chan Gailey, no matter WHAT, will get a third year. you might as well polish up on your material for next year.

most likely, Chan will get a 4th year too and if by then he hasn't produced, he will be gone as he should be. So maybe you can just go away for awhile and come back when he's gone.

I really don't think this would be a 4 year stint for Chan if he doesn't have something positive to show early this season and then to continue a positive trend through the year and recruiting.

I can't imagine GT Admin waiting for us to completely tank and have to go into an additional 5 year rebuilding program beyond the 4 you think he gets. With Miami and VT in the mix for 2004 - GT's program can't afford to play that waiting game ... it will be a long-lived disaster and take a lot more to get it up and running again.

GT can't afford to string this situaiton out that long, that's too much adversity for too long a time. Adversity in the short term is overwhelming here - any long term continuance does not bode well for a fast recovery or maybe any recovery at all.

MSTech - I don't agree with the jist of your post that all the administration has to do is replace Gailey and everything will be OK. Look at Beesnut's post - he is right that whether we are going to be successful in a reconstitued ACC is going to be whether Clough and the Hill can find a happy middle ground to allow us to recruit on some semblance of a level field with NCSU, Clemson, Miami, FSU etc. If they don't I don't care who we have here we will be around a 500 team at best.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I really don't think this would be a 4 year stint for Chan if he doesn't have something positive to show early this season and then to continue a positive trend through the year and recruiting.

I can't imagine GT Admin waiting for us to completely tank and have to go into an additional 5 year rebuilding program beyond the 4 you think he gets. With Miami and VT in the mix for 2004 - GT's program can't afford to play that waiting game ... it will be a long-lived disaster and take a lot more to get it up and running again.

GT can't afford to string this situaiton out that long, that's too much adversity for too long a time. Adversity in the short term is overwhelming here - any long term continuance does not bode well for a fast recovery or maybe any recovery at all.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahhh... good response. MSTA, unfortunately we all Remember Lewis. He had two years and in his THIRD year tanked the program and was fired mid season. Gailey took over less talent and had the same record as the previous year. He will DEFINATELY get three years to show what he can do, and anything average will gain him an additional year.

MSTA, like it or not, THAT will happen. This is directly from the AA. I promise you, he will get 3 seasons unless he goes 2-10 or worse. You can BANK on it.

The attitude of the GTAA is "he gets 4 years". That's a direct quote. I imagine though that if he completely tanks it, he will get less.

Back