Gailey's "Dual Offensive Coordinator" approach

yellowjacket

Varsity Lurker
Gailey\'s "Dual Offensive Coordinator" approach

It is interesting..will it work? For which coordinator (Geis or Nix) will the O-Line coach work? Will Gailey be settling arguments between the two a lot? Will we need a special ruling to get additional timeouts to settle on the sideline disputes? I would have preferred he take a more traditional approach. BUT, this is Gailey's team and staff now so whatever happens he gets the credit or the blame.

Re: Gailey\'s "Dual Offensive Coordinator" approach

This is nothing new in coaching. Hasn't been for a long time.

I have a question for you? What is the "more traditional" approach really? Is that what they use at OK for example on both sides of the ball? Is that what they use at UGA? Is that what the Falcons use? Man there are so many it's hard to list them all that use similar systems to coordinating. I'm not sure what traditional is honestly.

It's not like these coached don't work together anyway. The OC does most of the game preperation week to week. This just has those duties splite up. The OL coach works with both of them like he always does anyway. For example the OL coach usually works with the blitze schemes of every team they play.

I'm not sure why you feel there will be sideline disputes.
wink.gif

Coach Gailey is calling the plays. They'll scheme it during the week. That's primary the CO's job. The base offense will be installed in spring. This just splites up the scheming duties. The head coach okays all that stuff regardless everywhere and has imput on both sides of the ball.

Go Jackets!

Blame. For the past week I have thought about this 1)hiring of Geis, 2)deciding to have no clear cut OC, 3)and calling the plays himself. Face it people, Coach Gailey has surrounded himself with a combination of promising but young coaches and older coaches who with the exception of Coach Tenuta have no clear record being successful at developing players or schemes either offensively or defensively. Coaches Tenuta and Wilson are the only coaches on this staff as far as I can find that has been on successful progams. Tenuta at Ohio State and Wilson at F$U and to a lesser extent Mississippi State. I am not forgetting Nix at Auburn but he was a player and not a coach of course. The recruiting in Florida is the bright spot of the past 13 months. Of course if we want to extend Gailey's "learning curve" another year because of this bizarre hiring of Geis and not a proven OC where we have someone who is defined by the successes of this past as well as recent seasons, well I guess we can be satisfied with 3 or 4 wins next year.

stateline,
You must have a heckuva stock portfolio with the prognastication ability you have. Wow, spring practice has not even started and you've got it mapped out. Impressive.
smile.gif

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Face it people, Coach Gailey has surrounded himself with a combination of promising but young coaches and older coaches who with the exception of Coach Tenuta have no clear record being successful at developing players or schemes either offensively or defensively. .
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline. That's your opinion. I respectfully disagree with you.

You didn't give any real reasons for your statement, so I feel no need to express why I disagree with you completely.
grin.gif

Blame. For the past week I have thought about this 1)hiring of Geis, 2)deciding to have no clear cut OC, 3)and calling the plays himself. Face it people, Coach Gailey has surrounded himself with a combination of promising but young coaches and older coaches who with the exception of Coach Tenuta have no clear record being successful at developing players or schemes either offensively or defensively. Coaches Tenuta and Wilson are the only coaches on this staff as far as I can find that has been on successful progams. Of course if we want to extend Gailey's "learning curve" another year because of this bizarre hiring of Geis and not a proven OC where we have someone who is defined by the successes of this past as well as recent seasons, well I guess we can be satisfied with 3 or 4 wins next year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Before we jump all over this post, he does bring up some good points. Didn't Gailey say he did not want to handle the OC duties when he got here? Didn't he say we had a great offense and he did not want to mess with it? Now in my book calling the plays is handling the OC duties, and bringing in a coach who has been sitting for two years is messing with the offense. I am not going to pass judgement on the decisions, but for the umpteenth time it seems Coach says one thing and does another. It is hard to accept what he says as credible. I hope BOB was the problem, but unless we have a QB step up and perform, we will struggle this year.

Yes, calling the plays can be part of the duties of OC in some systems. It's a very very very small part of handling the OC duties if at all in any system though.

ON the rest I don't want to comment. I realize you have an opinion. I respect that.

Will comment on one thing Coach Gailey said that people have left out. If the offense continued to struggle he would have to step in. That was when he first took the job. Any head coach would.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Face it people, Coach Gailey has surrounded himself with a combination of promising but young coaches and older coaches who with the exception of Coach Tenuta have no clear record being successful at developing players or schemes either offensively or defensively. .
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline. That's your opinion. I respectfully disagree with you.

You didn't give any real reasons for your statement, so I feel no need to express why I disagree with you completely.
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT: I don't expect much support for my beliefs on this subject. But while I don't have a problem with any coach on this staff individually I don't think as a whole it is an outstanding bunch because it lacks an OC with tangible results. With the exceptions of Tenuta and Wilson it is lacking in DIV 1A success. No conference championship rings execpt for Wilsons at F$U, Tenuta at Ohio State and Coach D'Alessandris has a ring from Texas A&M in the SWC. Thats all I can find. And none of these was in a coordinator post. He has lots of foot soldiers which could be why Tech did recruit so well in Florida and Texas. Because you have to have the foot soldiers for this crucial job. So I have no problem with any individual staff member. But with the execption of Tenuta as I have noted there is no D-1A offence or defence architectual successes on this staff. And Gailey's noteriety clearly rest with Kordell Stewart and nothing he accomplished with the Cowboys or the Miami Dolphins. Thus my reasons are mainly the perceptions I have for this coaching staff as a whole. As I stated earlier I don't expect many to agree with my view of our situation I respect what everyone else sees and whatever their reasons maybe for arriving at them.

Stateline:
I have to agree with you here. I am not convinced by what I've seen and read that this is the perfect setup for our offense. This is my opinion. I would have preferred an established, experienced OC and staff under that person, and not our Head Coach calling the plays in conjunction with others who manage passing and running. It's seems convulted to me.

I personally don't like Head Coaches calling the plays. Maybe this is Chan's comfort zone - time will tell. If it succeeds then I am all for it but by just thinking about it and seeing the grand scheme of things, I'm not so sure this is the answer for Georgia Tech.

Originally posted by GTTeriff
Yes, calling the plays can be part of the duties of OC in some systems. It's a very very very small part of handling the OC duties if at all in any system though.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree Teriff. The coordinating takes place during practice week. Game day play calling is already "outlined" before the team hits the field. Every played is not scripted, but the game plan involves tactical and strategical series of plays.

"Situation" arise, but there are even sets of plays ready for those times (third and &gt;yard, third and 1, third and &lt;10 inside the opponents twenty.) Nearly every conceivable circumstance has set plays designed for that partucular game based on the opponent. The play-caller makes the final call.

Ms. Tech and others, I understand your concerns, especially since this is a new system to GT. I do appreciate the fact that most of you add the disclaimer that "if it works, great...I just don't think it will." However, it is really not as convoluted as it seems. The guts of it is really not that different than the traditional set-up. It's just "dressed-up different."

I have to believe that CCG would make this decision based on what he believes will work best given the players and staff for whose success he is responsible.

stateline, you are totally correct and all of the politically correct people on the hive and on here will take of the blinders after about 3 games into the season. we will win no more that 5 games at best.

Stateline. I hear your point. I will say this. Everyone here seems to think Fridge has such a great staff at Maryland. Before they won that staff didn't have much success either if you look at it from your guidelines.

I think our offense will be just fine given the requisite time to learn and be comfortable with the new system. We've got an experienced, quality offensive staff coming in who will do a great job in getting our guys ready to play.

As far as Gailey going back on his word, that's nonsense. He said he did NOT want to be OC AND head coach. He will be ASSISTING with the game planning and calling the plays. That's not going back on his word.

As for head coaches that call the plays, the examples are too numerous to mention. For one, how about Jon Gruden with Superbowl winning Tampa Bay and before that high powered Oakland? C'mon.

This is Gailey's time to run things his way. Considering the offensive difficulties we experienced last year plus ALL that is riding on the program as a whole right now, I don't blame him one bit for doing things his way. Just give him that opportunity before you jump to judgement.

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
[QB]I think our offense will be just fine given the requisite time to learn and be comfortable with the new system. JacketFanPCB: I don't know if you meant to but you just brought up the "learning curve" I was talking about in my first post on this topic. It will exist this year because of the lack of the hiring of a OC with the credentials most if not all of us was hoping for. Now if there is one thing just about everyone has has agreed on on this board and the hive is that no one wants another "learning curve" year.
smile.gif

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
[QB]I think our offense will be just fine given the requisite time to learn and be comfortable with the new system. JacketFanPCB: I don't know if you meant to but you just brought up the "learning curve" I was talking about in my first post on this topic. It will exist this year because of the lack of the hiring of a OC with the credentials most if not all of us was hoping for. Now if there is one thing just about everyone has has agreed on on this board and the hive is that no one wants another "learning curve" year.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Any coach that would have been bought in would have to get confortable with the rest of his staff. this is a big plus with Geis. HUGE plus. He's worked with Coach Gailey. He's worked with Robinson. Makes a big difference.

No offense, but there is alway learning to get done with the respect of coaches working together smoothly.

People on these boards can make the phrase "learning curve" to mean all kinds of things. To be honest with you. I'm tired of hearing about it. No offense.

I don't care if GT brought in Fridge there would be work to get done with the coaches working together. You can call that "learning curve" if you with. I don't personally believe that is what JacketFan has in mind.

GTT: No offence taken concerning your last remarks. Please let me point out that as much as you don't like the phrase "learning curve", I have my dislikes also. Gailey bringing in Geis because they have worked together and is "comfortable" with him is frankly a poor reason to hire him over someone who would have been more qualified and placed in the vacant Offensive Coordinator position. "Comfortable?" Why does Gailey have to be "comfortable" with his assistants? I never have heard of a Leader having to be "comfortable" with the people under him. Seriosly doubt you have either.
smile.gif
Seems logical to me that a true leader can take whatever staff he is saddled with and mold it regardless of whether he is "comfortable" or not. After all it is his way or the highway. Also I took you up on your thinking about Fridges staff. Except for a couple of assistants he worked here at Tech with, He never had worked with any of them. But he brought in Offensive and Defensive Coordinators who had been successful as head coaches. Taeffe had the Citadel at #1 in 1-AA. The Citadel for petes sake! Top Offense in the CFL his last two years there as the Head Coach and played in the Grey Cup game. Blankney was 2 time MAC coach of the year at Bowling Green, won 19 straight conference games. It appears the Fridge then hire coaches his coordinators had been successful with and molded them into an impressive staff under his leadership. I don't think Fridge worried at all whether he had ever worked with any of these coaches before and sure did'nt care if he was "comfortable" with them.
smile.gif

Comparing Gailey to Friedgen is a VERY tired argument that continues to surface on GT boards. These two situations are simply incomparable...kinda like apples and oranges.

Gailey has spent the last twenty or so years coaching older "star" players making millions. Suddenly he's coaching kids right out of high school. Friedgen has spent nearly his entire career (with the only exception I believe being his time at San Diego with Bobby Ross) at the college level. Not only that, but he came to Maryland from GT where he had spent the last few years coaching "UP" players to success. GT will ALWAYS be a place where players will have to be coached up. Why are there SO fewer GT players in the NFL? Gailey came from coaching all-stars like Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Kordell Stewart. Do you think any of them needed to be "coached up"?

We will be better this year than last and next year we will be a better team than this year. Have a MODICUM of patience and you'll see the results you want. Look at just about ANY new coach at GT. It always takes time due to our unique situation.

Again, give Gailey a chance to do things HIS way. You just might be pleasantly surprised at the results!

I never have heard of a Leader having to be "comfortable" with the people under him.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This a very remarkable statement, and in view of it I cannot imagine why President Bush decided that he had to replace President Clinton's cabinet.

I think it's fair to say that Gailey has the coaching staff that he wants. Let the games begin!

Stateline, I think Gailey brought in Geis because he felt he was the best man for the job. The fact that they'd worked together to me is a big plus.

Any coach better be comfortable working with their assitant coaches. That's how I see it. You might see it another way. I've heard the coach your speaking of use the word you keep using as to a why they were hired as well. It's part of it. It's not all of it.

Back