Game Ball Thread

D had some nice adjustments for the 2nd half. Once they could hem in Cunningham a bit, the game changed. No doubt Clayton makes us much better. Let’s hope that he takes off from here.

Fun night out and glad the rain stopped for the 4th...
Was great seeing Clayton doing his thing. He's a man! I think he and Ryans play well together. We really missed Ryans since FSU- he can be dynamic. Plus getting #3 back is awesome.

If we can just get / stay healthy- we have a lot of good pieces to work with and build a defense around. Can definitely see what CGC and CAT are trying to do. Exciting stuff and watching this try to come together is what sucks you in and makes a fan.

the DL play in the 4th looked like what we did all game vs FSU. Just rush straight ahead collapse the pocket and don’t give up contain. It really limited Cunningham.
Agreed. Bull rush is our best move. Clayton, Dominick, Yondjouen all look strong.

I listened to Dominick's interview mid-week and found it interesting that he was frustrated last year when coach asked him to play DE. Apparently he saw himself as a LB instead. Of course at the time he was only like 220lbs. I think coach may have made him some money with that move.

Y'all may judge me for this, but I think a turning point in momentum was when Tre drew the first holding flag. He really, really sold it to the ref. From that flag onward we mysteriously started setting the edge and making tackles.

Actually named after the Tampa team who used it to win a Super Bowl, adapting it from Pittsburgh’s Steel Curtain D.

JRjr
The difference the Steel Curtain was the best defense in nfl history. WE on the other hand can't stop anyone.

The difference the Steel Curtain was the best defense in nfl history. WE on the other hand can't stop anyone.

I really don't know the scheme we ran with him dropping like that. Curry wouldn't be a great Tampa 2 MLB traditionally speaking, but when it's mixed in without them anticipating, it's gaining us an extra zone defender at the very least from their pre-snap reads. There's a lot of ways this has been adapted. Even if I were expert enough to know what we were doing specifically, the camera didn't show enough of the field to tell. I don't think I've seen it before from us. Possible we prepped it for limited use this game only after looking at the plays they run from a particular formation. Despite our desire to run aggressive man coverage, when they've got more speed than we can cover 1 on 1, I think it's a good defense to call. It will give them some windows to complete passes if the pocket is clean, but it keeps everything in front and allows our big hitters to tee off and try and separate the ball. The box area may be relatively vacated, but the zone defenders can step up to close in on QB scrambles a lot easier.

Back