Game is different

The whole "x wins games/championships" concept is ancient coach propaganda. Everybody knows how games are won, you score more points than the other guy. It's been a long time since the philosophy on how to achieve that outcome was so static as to be expressed in such a simplistic way that emphasizes one side of the ball over the other. Each game between different teams may as well exist in its own pocket era. You have to have enough talent to execute a constantly adapting style of play.

Grandmasters don't play the exact same strategy each time they're at the board, and having a great enough talent advantage as to force your opponent to play "your game" on the football field is relatively rare, if it exists at all. The more simply your strategy can be described, the easier it will be to dissect.

There, a whole bunch of nothing that sounds like something. Between the recruiting pitch video and this, I'm pretty sure I've cracked Sabanese.

We had crazy-efficient scoring offenses under Paul Johnson and still lost games on account of defense. Maybe defense matters less than it used to, but it still matters a lot.

If we had some 4-5 star studs on defense like Bama then I could see that argument, however ...

OL /DL. Making QB/RB/WR/LB/DBs look good since the 50s. How any NFL team drafts anything other than a trenchman in the 1st round is beyond me.

I think the main point is that the old ball control philosophy he used to employ offensively doesn't really work any more. His defensive players haven't gotten less talented, but opposing offenses are tougher to stop, and therefore your own offense needs to be able to do more, even if your defense is among the best. You can argue the reasons why that is, but the PPG increase across football is pretty obvious.

That’s BS.

In all due respect. Nick quite obviously understands far more CFB than any of us ever will. He’s an absolute master of an AMATEUR sport where he thrives.

He enjoys for whatever reasons, independent of him, advantages 99% that his competition does not.

Whether it’s mysteriously avoiding NCAA investigations at a “college” whose primary existence is to win football games, or somehow magically attracting the very best college football players that are for unknown reasons willing to sit on the bench for years before seeing playing time, to biased officiating.

His logic might apply to college FB. I don’t know. But Nick failed in the NFL for a reason. He didn’t have the huge advantages he does at Bama.

Chan Gailey has had more success in the NFL than Saban.

On a level playing field at the ultimate level in the NFL the simple fundamentals remain the as they have for over 100 years.

If you can run the ball, stop the run, and maintain total control of the center of the gridiron on both offense and defense—- you win the game.

Last edited:

THIS

The other phenomenon is the use of saban as a career resuscitation stop for failed head coaches. go there, look like a genius because you're able to not lose using excessively unbalanced talent, then go to the next place and face plant again because you no longer have the overwhelming talent advantage

I think the main point is that the old ball control philosophy he used to employ offensively doesn't really work any more. His defensive players haven't gotten less talented, but opposing offenses are tougher to stop, and therefore your own offense needs to be able to do more, even if your defense is among the best. You can argue the reasons why that is, but the PPG increase across football is pretty obvious.
To me, they appear tougher to stop because of a significant change in the way Defensive PI gets called along with a huge emphasis on stopping head hunting/‘dirty hits’ that has really allowed the passing game to dominate.

Spot on. Every rule in football that is made now favors the offense. Seems a lot of people like the 52-49 games that are commonplace in the Big XII. It is what it is, but I enjoyed it much better when field position and defense did matter.

That’s BS.

In all due respect. Nick quite obviously understands far more CFB than any of us ever will. He’s an absolute master of an AMATEUR sport where he thrives.

He enjoys for whatever reasons, independent of him, advantages 99% that his competition does not.

Whether it’s mysteriously avoiding NCAA investigations at a “college” whose primary existence is to win football games, or somehow magically attracting the very best college football players that are for unknown reasons willing to sit on the bench for years before seeing playing time, to biased officiating.

His logic might apply to college FB. I don’t know. But Nick failed in the NFL for a reason. He didn’t have the huge advantages he does at Bama.

On a level playing field at the ultimate level in the NFL the simple fundamentals remain the as they have for over 100 years.

If you can run the ball, stop the run, and maintain total control of the center of the gridiron on both offense and defense—- you win the game.
What us this NFL you speak of? Who freaking cares about the NFL? College football and the NFL are two different games. Success at one means little to the other. You capitalize amateur as if that means college football is inferior. I’d beg to differ. Maybe I’m the minority but I plan my life around Saturdays in the fall not Sunday’s. And ok about Gailey. Why didn’t he bring this NFL brilliance to Grant Field? Dude scored 3 points in the most important game of the season with the greatest GT player of all time playing offense. I’m not a Saban homer by any means but dude us making millions and winning. The NFL means nothing.

Back