Game is different

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I think if Chan was capable of great things in P5 college football, some AD would have recognized that and given him another shot at the P5 level. Chan was too conservative for college football and stressed not losing games rather than winning them. It is comical that people on this board seem to want to compare him with Nick Saban. I understand people not liking Bama; but crediting Bama for Saban's success when there are so many football factories in just the SEC alone is interesting.

And no, we would not have beaten UGA in 2008 with Chan as our coach, stop deluding yourself.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Chan Gailey has had more success in the NFL than Saban.
I disagree with a lot of your post, but who cares, so I'll just point out that Nick Saban's lifetime NFL HC record is .469 and Chan Gailey's is .425.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
To me, they appear tougher to stop because of a significant change in the way Defensive PI gets called along with a huge emphasis on stopping head hunting/‘dirty hits’ that has really allowed the passing game to dominate.
Yes, those and the fact that Off holding is now an art form and rarely called as a penalty. I think we are seeing an upswing in defensive PI because secondaries are more aggressive or they would get slaughtered even worse. You do have to give some credit to the offensive innovation as in spreading the field, RPO, read option, etc.

byteback

Dodd-Like
The Hill is the great obstacle for Tech to hire a coach like Saban.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

donsue

Flats Noob
Yes, those and the fact that Off holding is now an art form and rarely called as a penalty. I think we are seeing an upswing in defensive PI because secondaries are more aggressive or they would get slaughtered even worse. You do have to give some credit to the offensive innovation as in spreading the field, RPO, read option, etc.
Good points, but a big reason as to why the RPO stuff is so successful is how the lineman are blocking way past the line of scrimmage and defenses are fooled. That and the hurry up crap are my two biggest dislikes to the current state of the game.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Good points, but a big reason as to why the RPO stuff is so successful is how the lineman are blocking way past the line of scrimmage and defenses are fooled. That and the hurry up crap are my two biggest dislikes to the current state of the game.
Agree on the RPO. The lineman downfield needs to be enforced even if it takes replay review on big plays, just like offensive holding needs to be enforced.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Agree on the RPO. The lineman downfield needs to be enforced even if it takes replay review on big plays, just like offensive holding needs to be enforced.
Eh... I'll give 'em linemen downfield if you'll give me OL holding. That's the biggest reason offensive numbers have exploded, IMHO. That and the fact that offensive pass interference is so rarely called.

The bottom line is that the powers that be think that you and I (the audience) want more passing, so over time they've tweaked the rules and their enforcement to make that happen, and it has.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Eh... I'll give 'em linemen downfield if you'll give me OL holding. That's the biggest reason offensive numbers have exploded, IMHO. That and the fact that offensive pass interference is so rarely called.

The bottom line is that the powers that be think that you and I (the audience) want more passing, so over time they've tweaked the rules and their enforcement to make that happen, and it has.
It’s similar to the NBA. Everyone wants to be a guard who shoots 3 pointers and contributes little to nothing else.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
It’s similar to the NBA. Everyone wants to be a guard who shoots 3 pointers and contributes little to nothing else.
It's interesting because the business of sports is to entertain, and yet the job of those actually playing and coaching the sport is not to entertain at all; it's to win games. And the most efficient way to win games does not necessarily align with the most entertaining way to play the sport.

That has become very apparent in the NBA -- I wonder if something similar is happening or will happen with college football thanks to all the pass-happy officiating.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
It's interesting because the business of sports is to entertain, and yet the job of those actually playing and coaching the sport is not to entertain at all; it's to win games. And the most efficient way to win games does not necessarily align with the most entertaining way to play the sport.

That has become very apparent in the NBA -- I wonder if something similar is happening or will happen with college football thanks to all the pass-happy officiating.
If you’re not one of the 10 big college programs these days, your games are pretty much meaningless. It certainly was a more compelling sport back in the 80’s and 90’s.

andrew

If you’re not one of the 10 big college programs these days, your games are pretty much meaningless. It certainly was a more compelling sport back in the 80’s and 90’s.
That is true but slightly different than what you said and I followed up on, which was more about the entertainment value of the game itself.

As you mentioned, if you sit down to watch an NBA game you know what you're getting: an offense that is extremely efficient and pretty much geared only towards maximizing the number of three pointers and fouls drawn, and defenses that can do little to counter that given the current way the rules are enforced. It doesn't really matter what teams you're watching, there's very little variation, and a lot of the things people liked about basketball (post play, physical defense, etc.) are minimized.

College football seems to be trending in the same direction, if it's not already there. Every offense is going to be geared towards generating huge passing numbers and there's going to be little defenses can do to stop it.

cyptomcat

Hibernating

Winning entertains me quite a bit too.

andrew

Winning entertains me quite a bit too.
Sure but if we end up in a position of, "Eh, I still love GT, but college football as a whole is kind of boring now, I'll just watch GT games if they're winning", that's not exactly a good situation for the sport.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Nobody gets called for holding along the OL anymore. I have wondered if that came down to the refs from the conferences to protect QB's. There was obvious, blatant holding on us and our opponents on the interior. They seem to call the holds on the outside by WR's.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
This is the most ridiculous discussion I've ever heard. We're talking about the most successful coach in college football history, but people are trying to say Gailey might be a better coach? Are you kidding?

Recruiting, scheme, etc. are all a part of it. Saban has done it better than anyone in history.

College football is extremely different than it was 15 years ago.