Gentlemen, Reggie Ball

Lets make sure we save all this for the next time you guys are whining about players. Lets not forget these poor guys get a great education on our dime. I'm not saying they don't earn it and am actually in favor of more compensation for them. However, with that pay comes expectations. There were players on the field in my time there that would have been ineligible if it weren't for my tutoring at the AA. I love and support this team, but I don't have to participate in your group love fest for a particular player. I'll take the insults, but the threats of physical violence sound like the South Georgia rednecks I was referring to earlier. That said, I'm no mamas basement dwelling geek, so bring it on.

Bennett played awful in the gator bowl. His passes were all underthrown but thanks to calvin johnson we were fooled into thinking he would actually be good. Choice carried us to 7 wins in 2007. Bennett was awful.

326 yards with 3 TD 1 INT isn't a bad game. Sure we had CJ and Choice but how many other times did we score 35 points against a ranked team that year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326 yards with 3 TD 1 INT isn't a bad game. Sure we had CJ and Choice but how many other times did we score 35 points against a ranked team that year?

That Gator Bowl was one of our greatest wins.

Good lord, you are as dumb as a sack of hammers

I remember Bennett playing really well when he started the Gator Bowl when Reggie was ineligible. I think he had a few good games when RB was injured also, didn't really start playing bad until job was his in 07. Kind of similar to Vad last year.

Not to dump on another SA, but your memory is a little off. Here are the stats. You want to compare them to refresh your memory, sports-reference.com is a good source.

In 2005, he was 11-30 for 142 yds in his 1 start vs UConn.

In 2006, he got no meaningful playing time outside the Gator Bowl.

In 2007... we know how that went.

Here's the thing. Nobody is saying that RB was the best QB to ever grace the flats, or even in the Top 5 of best QBs. The fact is, he was a 4 year starter, and apparently that means in 4 years, Gailey wasn't able to recruit a better QB.

So, on that basis, you can't give a guy öööö for giving everything he had. Did he make mistakes? Crucial, game changing mistakes? Sure. But they were just that, mistakes.

He was the best we had, and he gave everything he had to GT. That deserves the respect that most of us are talking about here.

Lets make sure we save all this for the next time you guys are whining about players. Lets not forget these poor guys get a great education on our dime. I'm not saying they don't earn it and am actually in favor of more compensation for them. However, with that pay comes expectations. There were players on the field in my time there that would have been ineligible if it weren't for my tutoring at the AA. I love and support this team, but I don't have to participate in your group love fest for a particular player. I'll take the insults, but the threats of physical violence sound like the South Georgia rednecks I was referring to earlier. That said, I'm no mamas basement dwelling geek, so bring it on.

So you've endowed an athletics scholarship? What out fellas, this man knows how to 80k.

Here's the thing. Nobody is saying that RB was the best QB to ever grace the flats, or even in the Top 5 of best QBs. The fact is, he was a 4 year starter, and apparently that means in 4 years, Gailey wasn't able to recruit a better QB.

So, on that basis, you can't give a guy öööö for giving everything he had. Did he make mistakes? Crucial, game changing mistakes? Sure. But they were just that, mistakes.

He was the best we had, and he gave everything he had to GT. That deserves the respect that most of us are talking about here.

I do respect him, just don't think he was a great quarterback which you agree with. And I also think he'll be most remembered for not getting it done against UGAg mainly 04.

Not to dump on another SA, but your memory is a little off. Here are the stats. You want to compare them to refresh your memory, sports-reference.com is a good source.

In 2005, he was 11-30 for 142 yds in his 1 start vs UConn.

In 2006, he got no meaningful playing time outside the Gator Bowl.

In 2007... we know how that went.

You're right so long ago now it's hard to remember how they played. I remembered being at that Uconn game and him starting but obviously he didn't do very well.

As a freshmen, Reggie Ball punched a UGA coach in the mouth. That alone deserves a statue.

So you've endowed an athletics scholarship? What out fellas, this man knows how to 80k.

Maybe. Or maybe I said "we" for a reason. Ticket sales, fees, tax revenue funneled to the college.....these things aren't to be forgotten. Even if all scholarships were paid from endowments, these sources would still be required for infrastructure support.

I do respect him, just don't think he was a great quarterback which you agree with. And I also think he'll be most remembered for not getting it done against UGAg mainly 04.

if you choose to remember that, then that is YOUR choice.

some remember him for other things. i personally will always remember him for beating Auburn twice. great games, big wins!

i choose to remember him for something he did, not for something that he didnt do.

its your choice - nobody makes it for you

AT TECH: Four-year starting quarterback and the 2003 Atlantic Coast Conference Rookie of the Year . . . Became the first true freshman in Georgia Tech history to start at quarterback in the Yellow Jackets' season opener in 2003, then started 27 straight games before an illness sidelined him one game . . . Started every game (49) he played over his four seasons, starting more games than any player in Tech history except linebacker Recardo Wimbush (50, 1999-2002). . . Led Tech to 29 victories as the starting quarterback, tying Joe Hamilton for second place in school history; Shawn Jones is the winningest Tech quarterback with 31 victories form 1989-92.

Ranks second or third in Tech history in most quarterback categories, including career passing yards (8,128, 3rd), touchdown passes (57, 2nd), total offense (9,579, 2nd) and touchdown responsibility (68, 2nd) . . . Set school records for passes attempted (1,363) and completed (662) . . . Also second in rushing yards by a Tech quarterback (1,451), trailing only Joe Hamilton . . . One of just 11 quarterbacks in ACC history to rush for 1,000 yards, currently ranks sixth in league annals . . . Stands sixth in ACC history in career total offense and 11th in passing yards and tied for seventh in TD passes.
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reggie_ball_239828.html

I agree with this. I haven't ripped the guy to shreds; I just thought it interesting that the article brought out positive thoughts about Reggie....something I hadn't experienced in a long while. I think he hit the nail on the head in the article. He had talent, ability, and hustle....something just misfired at some critical points. I don't know if it was ego, lack of focus under pressure, or plain bad luck, BUT it was the high expectations he set that made the big stage failings feel like a punch in the gut as a fan. This doesn't change his work ethic or talent, but it does leave room for some negativity when his name is brought up.

Probably true. I think that means I've made better life choices. :-)

JRjr

You know what they say about picking your family....

And, unfortunately, my business isn't quite at the point that I can afford to post a no dwags allowed sign on the door.

It's definitely in the five year plan though :wink:

Back