Georgia NIL law goes into effect July 1st

Waffle House and Coke come to mind. Look at it this way. UGA, Alabama, Tennessee, etc already have bagmen spending huge amounts of money for recruits. This just brings that money to light - meaning no net gain. Schools like Tech that don’t have bagmen might actually gain the ability to compete with some of those recruits now.

How would Tech gain the ability to compete for some of those recruits now? Not sure what you're implying with Waffle House & Coke--neither of those corporations will be involved in helping GT with whatever (small) market exists for a college player to cash in on their name.

As @vapspwi posted, GT has a small, cheap fanbase. Many of the fans can't be bothered to buy tickets or donate to the school--all of sudden, athletes will be cashing in on their image/likeness here???

The only thing this does is further cement the college caste system of the have and have nots. Those state schools w/large fanbases that live, eat and breath the football team will have benefit from this, not GT.

How would Tech gain the ability to compete for some of those recruits now? Not sure what you're implying with Waffle House & Coke--neither of those corporations will be involved in helping GT with whatever (small) market exists for a college player to cash in on their name.

As @vapspwi posted, GT has a small, cheap fanbase. Many of the fans can't be bothered to buy tickets or donate to the school--all of sudden, athletes will be cashing in on their image/likeness here???

The only thing this does is further cement the college caste system of the have and have nots. Those state schools w/large fanbases that live, eat and breath the football team will have benefit from this, not GT.

Yes, and I can imagine some local/college town business wanting to bring in a star player for promotion, but I can’t see Coke or even Waffle House deriving much benefit from paying a Tech player (except maybe a generational talent like Calvin) for promotion. The scale is wrong. Coke can get Julio Jones - they don’t need [I can’t remember any of our current WRs right now].

JRjr

Waffle House already does a ton of promotions with Tech. Why wouldn't they add actual players to those promotions and endorsements? And Coke might be a long shot, but they are right in our back yard. If anyone can get Coke on board, it's Collins.

Additionally, any current or former Tech NFL players may jump at the shot at investing in our current players.

It's not just about alumni. It's about business opportunities. If it's good business to invest in players, businesses are going to do it. If I can invest $25,000 into a player and make $50,000, I don't care what team that player is with.

Big fanbases will tweet tips to recruits. This is what’s going to happen.

Big fanbases will tweet tips to recruits. This is what’s going to happen.
Yeah, that's a good point. Every decent recruit should just open an Instagram? Tiktok? Fans only? And then sell themselves to the school that drops them the most coin.

This is absolutely Fonzi jumping the shark for college football. I suppose it's not to late for the schools to completely rewrite the script, and return to true amateurism, but it seems like it is cooked.

Waffle House already does a ton of promotions with Tech. Why wouldn't they add actual players to those promotions and endorsements? And Coke might be a long shot, but they are right in our back yard. If anyone can get Coke on board, it's Collins.

Additionally, any current or former Tech NFL players may jump at the shot at investing in our current players.

It's not just about alumni. It's about business opportunities. If it's good business to invest in players, businesses are going to do it. If I can invest $25,000 into a player and make $50,000, I don't care what team that player is with.

Because Waffle House nor Coke need to do this on the individual level? They already sponsor the team/school to a degree.

Why would a current or former GT NFL player "jump" at investing in our current players? I don't see how this could be a good investment unless the player becomes a star at the NFL level. Once the player's college career ends, if they aren't a professional, there won't be much, if any market for them. And the % of them being pros is super low, of course.

I do not think it is good business to invest in college players from a return standpoint unless it is a local business promoting something w/the player that has a large, localized fanbase that lives, eats, breathes, the school team (something GT does not have). I can see an alumni from Ugag or Auburn or Clemmons using a player signing autographs to help sell cars at the local dealer, but that's about it.

I may be wrong on this, but I do not think that the overwhelming number of the college players have a market to economically benefit from selling their image rights. Other than getting paid to sign some autographs or something, I don't see a big market for this.

As others in this thread pointed out, maybe the players get tips via social media. :dunno:

This is absolutely Fonzi jumping the shark for college football. I suppose it's not to late for the schools to completely rewrite the script, and return to true amateurism, but it seems like it is cooked

That horse left the barn a few decades ago. ;)

That horse left the barn a few decades ago. ;)
Why? The cash payouts? Meh, that was a decent attempt by the NCAA to compromise short of catastrophe. More of a bringing in Chachi than jumping the shark.

Pretty good look.

So this will help us, especially when @gtphd starts spending his hundreds of millions of dollars on top athletes.
The money he is saving in student athletics fees will be passed directly onto the student athletes

Is UGA doing to start getting 6 star recruits?

The only reason the gaggers haven't pounded their chests about 6 * recruits is because they've colluded with the rating services in order to throw the NCAA off their trail for perceived unfair recruiting advantages.

Back