Georgia State debacle

Maybe it even helped GT's program by showing Georgia kids up close how bad things can be. Our recruiting does seem to be a bit better this year...

Another hilarious thing is that their "writer", some idiot named Ben, has been clamoring at how amazing their recruiting has been for the past 3 years and how they were recruiting FBS talent on GT's level :rotfl: I'm looking forward to watching the NCAA penalize their attendance figures and their football team going 0'fer during the next two seasons.

I would make fun of Georgia State but I'm about to transfer to KSU and holy öööö this is going to be a ööööstorm....

I just hope Southern can compete with the Sun Belt and at least make things interesting and games fun. I love the fact the App St is coming too, keeps the rivalry going, if they weren't coming Id still be pumped but probably not as giddy.

I would make fun of Georgia State but I'm about to transfer to KSU and holy öööö this is going to be a ööööstorm....

I just hope Southern can compete with the Sun Belt and at least make things interesting and games fun. I love the fact the App St is coming too, keeps the rivalry going, if they weren't coming Id still be pumped but probably not as giddy.

I don't think GSU competing in the Sun Belt is the problem. But the financial undertaking and the great holes in this plan nobody seems to notice or answer are troubling. It just reminds me of the underpants gnomes from South Park.
At least the Southern-App State rivalry will continue. But Southern's best rivalries were borne out of the playoffs. I don't see any other Sun Belt team, with the exception of Troy, being any kind of rival. It'll be a rivalry akin to, say, South Carolina and Ole Miss. Rivals because they're in the same conference and that's about it. Southern, App, Citadel, Furball all recruit the same territory now. Southern isn't likely to start getting guys out of Texas and Louisiana just because they're playing there every other year.
As for Georgia State ... there is no light at the end of the tunnel. They couldn't even get hit by an oncoming locomotive to end their misery. To quote the Emperor, they will pay the price for their lack of vision.

Why aren't we scheduling them? Easier win + none of that FCS 2 for 1 win for a bowl game eligibility crap.

Because they'd probably want a 2 for 1 home and home.
I'd take a 2-for-1 if we stipulated that the Georgia Dome is a neutral site and we get half the gate.

I mean, their 15 fans would certainly give us a good attendance boost.

http://georgiastate.247sports.com/Board/59462/Was-it-a-mistake-to-start-football-at-GSU-21230499/1

OffnsiveHolding said:
If starting football was such a bad idea then why did Mercer and KSU follow our lead? Resonate on that for awhile.

2Q==
I'm resonating.

Their fight song can't be the problem...

[y]z-SuC2zp4MU[/y]

Their voices yell after all.

After the evening school of commerce song, did you check out the Montana Grizzlies song? Sounds familiar:biggrin:

Last edited:
Seems like none of them liked the Curry hire....what do people think about Bohannon? Apparantely from what I can gather from people in the know at KSU, he's a good guy to start out the program with and is/will represent it well.

They don't like the curry hire now. When they hired him, like most fan bases, all the Gast fans claimed he was going to be great especially after their first and only winning season.

Seems like none of them liked the Curry hire....what do people think about Bohannon? Apparantely from what I can gather from people in the know at KSU, he's a good guy to start out the program with and is/will represent it well.

I ran into Brian this summer and he is pumped about starting KSU football. He thinks they have a chance to be pretty good down the road.
I just hope he doesn't compared to Georgia Southern. What happened there is, well, a miracle. Two national championships in the first three years of I-AA/FCS (not counting those first two years of playing the Florida State JV, the Fort Benning Doughboys and the Jacksonville Police Department's Magnum Force), four in the first seven and five title games in the first seven is beyond improbable.

Curry was a mistake. They hired a guy even more past his time than Groh (mind-wise, not age-wise). Don't mean to be ageist but that is the impression I got.

No, I think Curry was fine. But they probably need a younger coach more attuned to today's players to get things started. I think Curry still knew the game and how to go about starting the program. But I don't know if he really inspired students/alumni/fan base (yeah, I know, that's laughable at best) the way a younger coach could have. I talked with Curry a couple of years ago and came away impressed. Now, is Georgia State football still a fool's errand? Of course it is. I say more age than mind was the problem with Curry.

Curry was a mistake. They hired a guy even more past his time than Groh (mind-wise, not age-wise). Don't mean to be ageist but that is the impression I got.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Curry managed to launch that program successfully within just a few years. That's a lot more administrative than anything else. He got them a lot of good press and got the name out in the city. There aren't many other people who would be that good of an ambassador for a new football squad.

I'm sure they wished they did better on the field last year, but they were playing in a real conference with real competition whose programs weren't 2 years old. The CAA had more ranked teams (6) than any other conference. Ga St basically played two bottom feeders and beat one of them. William and Mary was pretty pathetic. They played a good games against James Madison.

If anything, I think they just tried to much of a meteoric rise through the college football ranks. Maybe it's just an easier way to suffer through growing pains, but I would have taken a 10-20 year path toward FBS.

People are just stupid about playing football. The look at the few successes like UCF and that is not a huge one and think they an duplicate it. UCF is a real campus with a very large student population. Ga. State had no business starting football. It has to be bleeding their athletic program dry. They should have committed to basketball and soccer...making those elite programs. This is doable there.
KSU well better hire on the coaching side but is very similar. At least they are building dorms there and have tried to build a community. That being said they had a built in way to get a pot load of national attention by turning their strong club hockey program into a D1 program. They would have been the only team in the south and gotten lots of ESPNU and ESPN2 time at certain times of the year. I personally think they could have build a real fan base around that program. Football expect similar draws to State around 5k or less.

Back