Get Over It

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Can you add uniforms to the list of things to get over

johncu

Dodd-Like
He fawned over Temples talent because after the spring he knew they had more talent than he inherited. This is a rebuild not a tweaking. We had No QB, no TE, wall ons playing across the OLine and defenders who spent a decade practicing against the option. And don’t give me the scout team line. The only thing I wish Collins would have done differently is to keep Wesley Wells. But his recruiting has been way ahead of schedule. The wins are not ahead of schedule but having Sims taking snaps as a freshman will pay huge dividends. But y’all can continue about what the scores are. Reminds me of the early Ross years.
Ross only got blown out 5 times in his career at GT. Collins has been blown out 7 times in 1.5 years. The W/L record may be similar, but that’s not what has people so upset.

cbee

Flats Noob
He fawned over Temples talent because after the spring he knew they had more talent than he inherited. This is a rebuild not a tweaking. We had No QB, no TE, wall ons playing across the OLine and defenders who spent a decade practicing against the option. And don’t give me the scout team line. The only thing I wish Collins would have done differently is to keep Wesley Wells. But his recruiting has been way ahead of schedule. The wins are not ahead of schedule but having Sims taking snaps as a freshman will pay huge dividends. But y’all can continue about what the scores are. Reminds me of the early Ross years.
No offense but the Collins years, in sum, will do little to resemble the Ross years.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Yeah it’s awful that we’re unhappy about being 2-4 & getting embarrassed by a very mediocre team & not seeing improvement over year &
Half ! Not giving up on collins but if you’re ok with this you’re not a true tech fan

What had you predicted our W-L record to be after 6 games this year?

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
No offense but the Collins years, in sum, will do little to resemble the Ross years.
That’s not the point. No one will duplicate what Ross did at GT in 1990 unless the entire landscape of the economics of college ball change. There hasn’t been a mid level program win a Natty since Washington in 1991. After that it is all factories - granted some of the factories of those days are now mid level (Nebraska, Tennessee, and now FSU) and they haven’t sniffed anything lately either. The point is we played it safe with Gailey and won 7 per year and had some of the most frustrating losses when we had the talent. That 9-6 game is way worse than any loss Collins has had. Then we went Johnson and it worked several seasons and came to a crashing demise in quality wins and recruiting. Now, we are trying something different and y’all are freaking out because it’s ugly so far. Guess what? No matter who our coach was in 2019 and 2020 it was going to be ugly. We had no QB, whether option or spread, to replace a very mediocre 2 year starter. Our defense was trending down in size and talent (we just saw many of those guys play Saturday). Collins has brought in our best WR in years, our best RB in years, and a true to life 4 star QB that other teams wanted. Yes, we are struggling but I‘ve enjoyed it more than watching QB keeper after QB keeper. A loss is a loss so the scores don’t matter to me because we are repping our system preparing for the future. This season matters to 3 teams - Ohio St., Clemson, and Bama. Everyone else is playing for different goals.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
What had you predicted our W-L record to be after 6 games this year?
I predicted 1-5 with a win over Syracuse, and I’m still shocked and disappointed by our losses (and, to be fair, mildly surprised by our wins, but less than I might have been now that we see what FSU and Louisville have this year).

JRjr

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
That’s not the point. No one will duplicate what Ross did at GT in 1990 unless the entire landscape of the economics of college ball change. There hasn’t been a mid level program win a Natty since Washington in 1991. After that it is all factories - granted some of the factories of those days are now mid level (Nebraska, Tennessee, and now FSU) and they haven’t sniffed anything lately either. The point is we played it safe with Gailey and won 7 per year and had some of the most frustrating losses when we had the talent. That 9-6 game is way worse than any loss Collins has had. Then we went Johnson and it worked several seasons and came to a crashing demise in quality wins and recruiting. Now, we are trying something different and y’all are freaking out because it’s ugly so far. Guess what? No matter who our coach was in 2019 and 2020 it was going to be ugly. We had no QB, whether option or spread, to replace a very mediocre 2 year starter. Our defense was trending down in size and talent (we just saw many of those guys play Saturday). Collins has brought in our best WR in years, our best RB in years, and a true to life 4 star QB that other teams wanted. Yes, we are struggling but I‘ve enjoyed it more than watching QB keeper after QB keeper. A loss is a loss so the scores don’t matter to me because we are repping our system preparing for the future. This season matters to 3 teams - Ohio St., Clemson, and Bama. Everyone else is playing for different goals.
Auburn is a mid level program. Clemson was also mid level and could easily return to that spot post Dabo. They are basically Miami with a coach uninterested in the NFL.

Also, add Miami to midlevel.

cbee

Flats Noob
Not worried about ugly. It's when there is no discipline, poor coaching decisions during the game including horrendous clock management issues that concern me. I did not make the comparison to the Ross years, you did. When Ross had early discipline issues, he dealt with it. Collins has a pat on the helmet for everyone that comes off the field and so far, behavior has not changed. We have an OT that probably leads the nation in false starts. If he can't get it right, replace him. I said months ago that Collins would recruit better than Johnson but not win as many games. Based on what I have seen in his coaching, I still believe that will be true.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Have you seen anything positive on the field besides a couple solid recruits? This team isn't any better than last year. The coaching, play calling, def scheme (and he's a def minded coach) are crap to be nice. Zero Discipline. When Curry is our best option on Def....Houston we have a huge problem
There were some times against BC where I said to myself "dang the OL is getting better."

Domeneck and Clayton are positive spots. They could be doing a better job, but overall B.

Wylie76

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
My fandom is bigger than yours.

CGC was a gamble as a head coach (and early returns aren’t looking great), but he’s got some pedigree as an assistant and he understands Tech and has a passion for it. And he’s hired some coaches that seem to have some credentials (and ties to Tech) like Choice, Key, and Coleman.

Given the culture shift and rebuild that we’re doing, guaranteeing stability for a few years (maybe 7 is too much, but 5 seems like a reasonable minimum) seems like a key part of the process. I wish the contract was smaller and more incentive-based, but IIWII.

I can see the justification for what we’ve done, but I still want to see some progression on the field. Not necessarily W-L, but just the eye test. Historic losses in year 1 are one thing, but they’re a lot more concerning in year 2. People said coming into 2020 that we might be a better team with a worse record. The latter is still on the table, but I’m not sure about the former yet.

JRjr
I would agree completely. No fandom bigger on my end....just responding to an idiot that thinks he knows all because I'm a new guy on here....actually an old guy but couldn't remember my password.

I haven't seen much difference in the product and honestly, the product doesn't look any better. If you remove Gibbs and Simms.....they're the bright spot. The play calling is atrocious at best....when you have a QB that can move, get him out of the pocket especially when you have a OL learning how to block and block differently. The penalties are from maturity, it's a lack of discipline. We don't need a rah rah on the sideline for a coach. We need a disciplinarian. The Money Down bs, the dancing on the sidelines, the dumb penalties are all products of leadership. I didn't like CPJ grabbing facemasks and cursing kids...because they are kids.....but at least .... at minimum they were a disciplined football team

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Not worried about ugly. It's when there is no discipline, poor coaching decisions during the game including horrendous clock management issues that concern me. I did not make the comparison to the Ross years, you did. When Ross had early discipline issues, he dealt with it. Collins has a pat on the helmet for everyone that comes off the field and so far, behavior has not changed. We have an OT that probably leads the nation in false starts. If he can't get it right, replace him. I said months ago that Collins would recruit better than Johnson but not win as many games. Based on what I have seen in his coaching, I still believe that will be true.
I understand your point, but remember Ross had way more experience as ahead coach than Collins when he got to GT. I agree Collins has to become a little more aggressive on the discipline issues, but I think we all agree it’s a different world than the 80’s. Heck, we had fans calling for Johnson’s head after the photo of him grabbing Peoples by the face mask and that was a decade ago. Collins is walking a fine line between players he inherited and those he recruited. My expectation is that we’ll see him take a different approach since it’s obvious some of these guys aren’t all in. But could you imagine the whining if he benches certain players and puts in freshmen. I don’t think he’ll do that at this point. But I expect a lot of turnover this off season and a lot of new faces next year.

cbee

Flats Noob
I understand your point, but remember Ross had way more experience as ahead coach than Collins when he got to GT. I agree Collins has to become a little more aggressive on the discipline issues, but I think we all agree it’s a different world than the 80’s. Heck, we had fans calling for Johnson’s head after the photo of him grabbing Peoples by the face mask and that was a decade ago. Collins is walking a fine line between players he inherited and those he recruited. My expectation is that we’ll see him take a different approach since it’s obvious some of these guys aren’t all in. But could you imagine the whining if he benches certain players and puts in freshmen. I don’t think he’ll do that at this point. But I expect a lot of turnover this off season and a lot of new faces next year.
Don't like it but understand that you are correct on the discipline issue. That said, the OT I refer to is a true freshman. Not suggesting yanking him around but how about sitting him with the "when you learn to concentrate....." speech. I have the feeling that Collins is way too tolerant of repeated mistakes.

Last edited:

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I agree with you, From my couch on Saturday, I’d be benching and cutting so many guys we’d have about 20 left to play ND. I trust Collins knowing his job is secure is letting these players work thru the mistakes. While it’s maddening at times we also have to realize that these guys will be the ones to bring GT back into the top 20 by 2022. I have no doubt that our offense will be deadly soon. Give Key another off season to get the OLine where it needs to be and I trust Sims will make huge strides from year 1 to 2 with a full off season and spring camp.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I agree with you, From my couch on Saturday, I’d be benching and cutting so many guys we’d have about 20 left to play ND. I trust Collins knowing his job is secure is letting these players work thru the mistakes. While it’s maddening at times we also have to realize that these guys will be the ones to bring GT back into the top 20 by 2022. I have no doubt that our offense will be deadly soon. Give Key another off season to get the OLine where it needs to be and I trust Sims will make huge strides from year 1 to 2 with a full off season and spring camp.
My gut say it isn't just letting them work through mistakes, but that if he did bench too readily or too much then we really might run into that shortage of players you described. There is nowhere near enough info to say it's likely or not, but if even slightly I can understand wanting to avoid a Randy Edsall-Maryland situation.