Getting over our inferioty complex with UGA...

i_like_money

Varsity Lurker
Getting over our inferiority complex with UGA...

I know there are going to be a lot of people who disagree with me, but hear me out...

I consider myself a new age GT fan, I graduated in 07 and we never beat UGA during my entire time there. In addition to that my gf and my best friend are UGA alums. The annual matchup has been no fun for me for obvious reasons.

The reason for this post is our school's OBSESSION with our in-state rival. An obsession they do not share with us. From the fight song, to the annual "To Hell With Georgia" edition of the Technique, etc. I realize most of this is tradition, but you also have guys on here constantly updating UGA game scores only to be disappointed when they win at the end. (see last week)

Here's the deal. I'm not saying we stop hating UGA by any means. But our program is not on the level with theirs and until we start beating them its pointless to keep worrying about them. I propose that the fanbase move in a direction of caring about our football team's season as a whole instead of putting all their happiness on the outcome of the UGA game.

Its an unhealthy obsession. I get embarrassed when my friend asks "Why are u guys always thinking about us? We're not thinking about you." and I dont really have an answer.

Yes their fans are obnoxious. But I dont see the point of taking the bait and falling for their insults and getting mad. In a sense, Tech is the little brother always trying to impress big brother UGA. When in reality we should carry ourselves with a confidence that doesnt rely on worrying about the other team.

I'd like to hear u guys comments. Especially the younger crowd. I know how the older crowd feels. And please keep the flaming to a minimum. :fingersx:

Last edited:
You're young. Wait til we beat them. They hate losing to us more than any other program on earth. On earth.

When we take a couple of games away from them, their fan base is ready to implode. Between 1998 and 2000, UGA fans were out for blood with their own. It will happen again. And it will happen soon.

Yeah, they're just putting up a front now after winning seven. They hate not being the undisputed top team in the state. In a few years, it will be fun to sit back and watch how they react.

I belive BOR sumed it up about perfectly. They may love St. Richt right now but wait until they start losing to GT a few times. You will never see some one turn persona non grata so quickly.

I know there are going to be a lot of people who disagree with me, but hear me out...

I consider myself a new age GT fan, I graduated in 07 and we never beat UGA during my entire time there. In addition to that my gf and my best friend are UGA alums. The annual matchup has been no fun for me for obvious reasons.

The reason for this post is our school's OBSESSION with our in-state rival. An obsession they do not share with us. From the fight song, to the annual "To Hell With Georgia" edition of the Technique, etc. I realize most of this is tradition, but you also have guys on here constantly updating UGA game scores only to be disappointed when they win at the end. (see last week)

Here's the deal. I'm not saying we stop hating UGA by any means. But our program is not on the level with theirs and until we start beating them its pointless to keep worrying about them. I propose that the fanbase move in a direction of caring about our football team's season as a whole instead of putting all their happiness on the outcome of the UGA game.

Its an unhealthy obsession. I get embarrassed when my friend asks "Why are u guys always thinking about us? We're not thinking about you." and I dont really have an answer.

Yes their fans are obnoxious. But I dont see the point of taking the bait and falling for their insults and getting mad. In a sense, Tech is the little brother always trying to impress big brother UGA. When in reality we should carry ourselves with a confidence that doesnt rely on worrying about the other team.

I'd like to hear u guys comments. Especially the younger crowd. I know how the older crowd feels. And please keep the flaming to a minimum. :fingersx:

I'm younger than you (entered in 2006). I am one of the ones that follow ugay games, hoping for them to lose. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, but I always tell myself, "Well, we'll just have to take care of them ourselves". Honestly, the way I feel is that if we beat ugay, them losing to anyone else is icing on the cake.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that they don't care about us. The only reason it seems so lopsided is because they have owned us these past few years. If CPJ wins 8 out of the next 10 games, you can rest assured that we will have their full attention. ugay fans take their fair share of shots when we lose. If you read the ajc online, all the comment sections devolve into Tech and uga fans going back and forth. It is not one sided, they just have the benefit of saying, "well, we've beat you."

This is what a rivalry is. We go to work with these people. We shop for groceries with these people. We share the road with these people. We date, sleep with, and marry these people. So, we are intertwined whether you like it or not, and whether they show it as much as we do or not.

Furthermore, to say that we are ugay's "little brother" is to concede that we will never be better than them. If that's the case, I don't believe that we would have ever got rid of Chan Gailey. Sure we were frustrated with always having 5 losses a year, even during his best run in 2006, but the nail in the coffin was ugay. We hired Paul Johnson because of his demeanor, and his performance in rivalry games. He never lost to Army. He beat Notre Dame for the first time since my parents were in grade school.

I have no problem with us having ugay on our minds. I have no doubt that we're on theirs, even if it doesn't show as much. I've been to athens for a football game. They hate us just as much as we hate them. I live around ugay fans, and catch crap ALL the time. My mom works for a subsidiary of ugay, and when she wears Tech stuff, she catches crap. Trust me, this isn't as one sided as you will believe. Sure, they have a streak going, but things can change, and will. Then just watch them get all riled up.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I didn't grow up in Georgia and I only know about 5 ugay fans. I guess the biggest thing to me is the fact that we hardly ever beat them. I want to win every game we play, but if we beat Miami and lose to ugay it certainly won't make me lose any sleep.

Half of the words to their fight song are "Glory, glory to old Georgia" and the other half are "And to hell with Georgia Tech." I can't speak as to whether they do anything like the "To Hell With Georgia" edition of the Technique, but my guess would be that they have something similar.

Anyway, I'm graduating this semester, and to me the entire season hinges on beating U[sic]GA. You can say that they say they're not thinking about us...but their taunting every time they see a GT fan belies that. They're definitely thinking about us...what your friend should have said is "We're not worried about you guys." THAT is what seven straight wins in a rivalry does for a fanbase...and hopefully it will change soon.

This rivalry is historic. It is not just a game. The schools are so fundamentally different, academically, campus setting, and the character of the fan base. Go to the game in Athens and you will see. Most of their fans have no legitimate connection to the school. In fact, most of their fans did not graduate from high school. They are drooling hillbillies compared to Tech fans. And yet, they get puffed up with delusional grandiosity just because their pathetic Dawgs beat somebody at football. It is the soul source of self worth for these losers. They win most of these games because they have almost no academic standards for their athletes. Richt has cruised along with recruiting and a fawning media that shields him from critics. Don't question the justification for a searing hatred that started a hundred years before you were even born. But then, that's just my opinion. I might be wrong.

georgia doesnt consider us a rival because they have won 7 in arow....
i was talking with a uga fan today and he said it was like the UT vandy rivalry, because UT won 20 out of 21, and almost more before that...they apparently just dont see us as a rival

I'm a young fan too (since '04) and obviously have not seen us beat GA yet.

Yet, I think this game is absolutely critical for us. From a purely pragmatic (non-tradition, etc.) perspective, being close to equal to U(sic)GA is a must (i.e. win 4 out of 10) because it makes us more attractive to in-state recruits. Tech wins out in academics. Easily. And for all those kids who have the academics to get into Tech, it easily becomes the better choice as long as we remain competitive.

It is also critical to build a fan base. There is no way we are gonna have a bigger Atlanta following without beating georgia consistenly.

BOR summed it up well. I hate UGA. I will always take glee in their losing, whether GT is beating them or somebody else. Particularly this season, where all summer all you heard about was UGA winning the MNC. Well they won't and I will not let their fanbase live it down.

The UGA perspective of the importance of the in-state rivalry game does a 180 when UGA drops a game or two to GT.

I have a grasp on the importance of winning ACC championships --which means beating the UVA's, UNC's, UM's and VT's, making BCS bowl games --winning bowl games.

But beating UGA is important, both from my individual perspective and the perspective of the Tech program. UGA has just survived AU as I type this paragraph --lucky bast###s could have dropped this one.

THWG

+100 to BOR. UGA DOES care a ton about the GT-UGA game. Here is a little experiment you can do for me. Wear a GT hat everywhere you go in the city and I guarantee that by the end of the week some UGA fan will pass a comment about it (assuming you aren't a hermit who never leaves your house).

For example, I was at the golf course the other day with my GT hat and shirt on and this guy comes up to me and asks me if I know who Matt Stafford is. So I replied, "Isn't he that guy who is going to get knocked on his ass all day the Saturday after Thanksgiving?" The guy, obviously had planned a response based off of a yes or no answer and was at a slight loss for words until he muttered, "... we'll see about that ...."

UGA fans despise Tech fans for many reasons, just like we hate them for many reasons. But there is one thing that we both can agree on: GT was the last school in Georgia to win a Division 1-A national championship.

If you don't think UGA cares about the game, you're crazy.

Here 's a quote from Friday's AJC about UGA/AU:

“I think it’s pretty big, but not a Georgia-Georgia Tech game,” linebacker Darryl Gamble said.

...Wear a GT hat everywhere you go in the city and I guarantee that by the end of the week some UGA fan will pass a comment about it.

True. As most on here know I'm a UGA grad but a lifelong GT fan. It's true what cajun says, I wear my GT hat(s) up here in North Forsyth where there are a lot of UGA fans --not grads-- but fans.

Last year at a NFHS football game I was walking from the concessions, wearing my GT hat --and my UGA class ring. A guy (older than my 43 years mind you) gets a little to close and barks "How 'bout them Dawgs."

My response was simply, "How 'bout 'em" --flashed my UGA ring under his nose-- "BS Statistics, Class of '89" --stared at him a moment or two to take in his bewilderment, and I moved on.

I've done this on a few occasions --I rather enjoy it.

You're young. Wait til we beat them. They hate losing to us more than any other program on earth. On earth.

When we take a couple of games away from them, their fan base is ready to implode. Between 1998 and 2000, UGA fans were out for blood with their own. It will happen again. And it will happen soon.

+1

Good responses. You guys are right, they DO care. But they can pretend its not important as long as we keep losing to them.

The past few GT-UGA games I had to turn off my phone because people were pissing me off. It hurt even more because we COULD have won those games.

I like our odds this year. Depending on injuries. *crosses fingers*

Screw all of this.

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!!
I hate them and there is no better game to win than the UGA game.

If we lose to UGA it is not a successful season IMO.

Screw all of this.

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!!
I hate them and there is no better game to win than the UGA game.

If we lose to UGA it is not a successful season IMO.

Amen Brother, I concur. As I was reading these posts, one thought came to mind... THWG!!!

Back