Getting over our inferioty complex with UGA...

Wear gold in Athens on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and tell me if they care.

Your Dad sounds like a grand young man, GT65.

Originally Posted by GT65_UGA89
I didn't know my dad posted on StingTalk. :laugher: Seriously though b-series, you and my dad could probably swap some stories.

He grew up near Tech and likes to talk about the '50s --sneaking into Grant Field over on the North-West side, selling programs during the '52 season as a kid, and at least every-other game I take him to he mentions the old pool hall on North Ave --west of Spring St (I generally ride Marta to games so we walk right by the building).

Varsity-1953.jpg

The Varsity 1953. The good old days.

I didn't make up this line but I agree with it - "If UGA was playing the Taliban I'd root for the Taliban."
I use al qaeda instead of the taliban. I also throw in Saddam Hussein playing both ways at middle LB and QB. And i'd still pull for al qaeda!

In my experience they see us as a rival, they just haven't had a reason to feel threatened by us lately. I've worked with UGA grads and fans, and my gf is a Tech alum at grad school there who hears it from their fans. We're seen as rivals, but the difference is that we've had 7 years to build up animosity from losing the game on the scoreboard while they've become complacent.

Step one to "getting over our inferiority complex to UGA" is beating them.

Step two is beating them again.

Step three is beating them a third time, which will assuredly get Richt fired.

Ok, so, I didn't see any UGA fans comment on this thread. Here's my take. Losing to GT blows. As a fan that lives in north GA, it is worse than losing to any other team on the schedule. For your UGA buddies that say the rivalry isn't that big of a deal, they're spoiled with winning. Freakin' have GT win a couple and then see how they feel. Shoot, have GT win this year and ask me how I feel. UGA fans that live near Auburn in Columbus or near Florida down in South Georgia or in August near South Carolina may have other reasons why they don't consider GT UGA's biggest rival. I don't know.

With all due respect, and notice I said "with all due respect", so you can't get mad at me, I hope GT never beats UGA again. Short of my son being a starter for GT years down the road, I don't see how UGA losing to GT wouldn't be a big deal.

To clarify, I don't "hate" GT or any other university or institute. I have the utmost respect for athletes and coaches at all levels. I would've killed to have D1 talent and size. I love Paul Johnson too. He's a fantastic coach. It's a really weird situation to be honest. With that said, my team is UGA and my team's biggest rival has been and always will be GT. This game will be close and it will be nasty. It will be the nastiest game either team will play this season.

Ok, so, I didn't see any UGA fans comment on this thread. Here's my take. Losing to GT blows. As a fan that lives in north GA, it is worse than losing to any other team on the schedule. For your UGA buddies that say the rivalry isn't that big of a deal, they're spoiled with winning. Freakin' have GT win a couple and then see how they feel. Shoot, have GT win this year and ask me how I feel. UGA fans that live near Auburn in Columbus or near Florida down in South Georgia or in August near South Carolina may have other reasons why they don't consider GT UGA's biggest rival. I don't know.

With all due respect, and notice I said "with all due respect", so you can't get mad at me, I hope GT never beats UGA again. Short of my son being a starter for GT years down the road, I don't see how UGA losing to GT wouldn't be a big deal.

To clarify, I don't "hate" GT or any other university or institute. I have the utmost respect for athletes and coaches at all levels. I would've killed to have D1 talent and size. I love Paul Johnson too. He's a fantastic coach. It's a really weird situation to be honest. With that said, my team is UGA and my team's biggest rival has been and always will be GT. This game will be close and it will be nasty. It will be the nastiest game either team will play this season.

What I've learned from this thread is that perspective changes with age. If you've been around for the years when GT beat UGA you'd feel differently than 24 year old fans such as myself and my friends.

Good comments though.

Another good post in another thread in response to Al Koholic saying that the season begins and ends on November 29

why? because you define the entire Tech existance on something having to do with UGA? you guys need to grow up and define the thing you want as a positive notion, not a negative one (and i dont mean positive and negative as emotional things, more like 'negative space' concept, like defining something by what it is not)

the ACC championship is more important than the UGA game. there is no comparison. one is to play in the big bowl, get a chance to play for the National Championship. the UGA game means... well, nothing really except bragging rights

maybe you have nothing in your life but wanting to brag to others (is it even worth the time to try to "prove something" to a Mutt?), but winning the ACC and going to a BCS bowl would be much more rewarding for the players, the coaches and have more influence than beating UGA on recruits, i think even the ones from GA

now, of course i realize that we wouldnt make the Natl Champ w/o doing both winning the ACC AND beating UGA, but why make UGA the end-all and be-all of the GEORGIA TECH football season? that sounds like a Mutt?!?!

The difference between you and me .... if my son was the field goal kicker for UGA and he was lining up for a GW field goal against GT, I hope that CPJ calls all of his TO's to ice him. In my eyes he made a bad choice and must pay the price for the error of his ways.

The difference between you and me .... if my son was the field goal kicker for UGA and he was lining up for a GW field goal against GT, I hope that CPJ calls all of his TO's to ice him. In my eyes he made a bad choice and must pay the price for the error of his ways.
If I was his father, I'd have no son.

I've seen a couple of posts today that prove my point. Some of you take this game way too seriously. I want to win just like everyone else... but drop the series??? "We will never beat Georgia"??

these type of fans are embarassing

I've seen a couple of posts today that prove my point. Some of you take this game way too seriously. I want to win just like everyone else... but drop the series??? "We will never beat Georgia"??

these type of fans are embarassing

+1

Re: Getting over our inferiority complex with UGA...

But I dont see the point of taking the bait and falling for their insults and getting mad. In a sense, Tech is the little brother always trying to impress big brother UGA. When in reality we should carry ourselves with a confidence that doesnt rely on worrying about the other team.

I graduated in 2008 and certainly hate UGA. Like you, I never experienced us beating them either. You're a pretty good writer, btw.

Re: Getting over our inferiority complex with UGA...

I graduated in 2008...

That's why you should never suffer from an inferiority complex when it comes to BigBadGeorgia --you obtained your degree from Georgia Tech.

I Like Money,

Part of a rivalry is the drought. Sometimes, not always like in the case of Michigan - Ohio State, but sometimes one side of the rivalry gets complacent.

We beat UGA and it's on again. Even though you provided decent rationale for your thoughts, I still believe that we can awaken an anger in UGA and make them care...when we beat them.

From a collegiate unity standpoint, we need this type of rivalry to be passionate about. It's a part of the GT experience. Don't try to down-play it.

Back