Greatest transition in history... Of penalties

Rodzilla

Dodd-Like

In 2018, only one FBS team drew fewer flags than Tech and just three averaged fewer penalty yards per game. In 2017, the Jackets had fewer penalties and penalty yards per game than all but 10 teams. In Year 1 with Collins, Tech had the fourth-fewest penalties and average penalty yards in FBS.

In Collins Year 2, the Jackets are tied with N.C. State for the most penalties in FBS despite playing one less game. Tech’s 74.9 penalty yards per game are 12th-most in FBS this season. Temple saw a similar trend with penalties when Collins coached the Owls in 2017 and 2018.

In 10 games this season, the Jackets had 14 (!) personal fouls, two unsportsmanlike penalties, 28 (!!) false starts and five roughing penalties.

"That’s not to say coaching is to blame for all penalties. Sometimes physically overmatched teams draw a lot of flags. Offensive linemen hold defenders they can’t block. Defensive backs grab receivers they can’t cover. Those things happened plenty with Tech this season.

But fouls that have less to do with physical ability also were a major problem for the Jackets. Those are the penalties for late or illegal hits, unsportsmanlike conduct and false starts."

Players that are outmatched in talents and athletic ability commit penalties at a higher clip. Really not that hard to understand.

The author is wrong about false starts though. False start penalties are sometimes because the OL is trying to compensate against a better DL. What percentage? Hell idk

Players that are outmatched in talents and athletic ability commit penalties at a higher clip. Really not that hard to understand.
So Paul's players are so outmatched athletically in Geoff's second season that they get penalized at a rate that is leaps and bounds higher than under any season that Paul was coach, or even during Geoff's first season?

Y'all are so invested in the "lack of talent" argument that y'all use it to explain everything from personal foul penalties to being unable to kick an extra point. Get some new material.

giphy.gif

Regarding the comparison to CPJ, I wonder if that dichotomy holds up when the data is adjusted for pace of play.

That was my first thought as well. I’m guessing we’re on the field for ~20% more plays under CGC than under CPJ. They should adjust it for plays/game.

Also the offenses set up differently. We’re not gonna have as many holding penalties under CPJ because we were attempting fewer percentage of pass plays. And as much as timing played a part in the option, it makes sense false starts would be more of a focus.

But that doesn’t really explain the trend at Temple under Collins. We had the same OL together basically the entire year. The false starts are unacceptable. Part of me feels for the personal fouls b/c I can think of a handful off the top of my head that were completely bogus. But can also think of a few with which we got away.

Overall it’s an issue and needs to be addressed. But probably not as much of an issue as this article makes it out to be.

I guess we’ll see how the trend is for year three under Collins next year. Pretty small sample size to draw any real conclusions either way.

Whatever the reason, penalties were far too high this season. Looking forward to seeing that number drop - preferably significantly lower.

That was my first thought as well. I’m guessing we’re on the field for ~20% more plays under CGC than under CPJ. They should adjust it for plays/game.

Also the offenses set up differently. We’re not gonna have as many holding penalties under CPJ because we were attempting fewer percentage of pass plays. And as much as timing played a part in the option, it makes sense false starts would be more of a focus.

But that doesn’t really explain the trend at Temple under Collins. We had the same OL together basically the entire year. The false starts are unacceptable. Part of me feels for the personal fouls b/c I can think of a handful off the top of my head that were completely bogus. But can also think of a few with which we got away.

Overall it’s an issue and needs to be addressed. But probably not as much of an issue as this article makes it out to be.
We didn't exactly dominate in TOP this year. May want to work that in too when comparing the two.

I got my popcorn ready and just sitting back enjoying reading the justification of why Tech is so much more penalized than in the past.

I don't know, just maybe Tech has a disproportionate number of young, undisciplined players than they had when CPJ was here.

Some questionable calls went against Tech vs Pitt? Look, I generally appreciate understatement in writing, but this might be going a bit far.
He actually agreed that we had some ridiculous calls go against us in that game. But his point is that it serves absolutely zero purpose for Collins to focus on it and stay butthurt over it. And Cunningham is right.

I guess we’ll see how the trend is for year three under Collins next year. Pretty small sample size to draw any real conclusions either way.

Whatever the reason, penalties were far too high this season. Looking forward to seeing that number drop - preferably significantly lower.
This. I’m definitely concerned, but the small sample size and different story last year make this less of a big deal. It’ll be much more of a problem if it happens again next year.

Yes, small sample size, very young personnel, no real spring or pre-season practice and an on again off again season schedule.

He actually agreed that we had some ridiculous calls go against us in that game. But his point is that it serves absolutely zero purpose for Collins to focus on it and stay butthurt over it. And Cunningham is right.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I actually really liked Collins' statement after the game. I think his statements were intended to send a message to his players. I'd have to go back and look at the exact wording, but recollection of the message is: "Yes, those were bad calls. It's not something we can control, we have to ensure that the margin is wide enough between us an our opponent so that the bad calls can't be the difference."

TL:DR - I disagree with Cunningham on this point.

I do agree about the false starts and the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (like spinning the ball in the end zone, for which there is no excuse).

I also absolute despise this statement towards the end, " The Jackets won’t ever have as many good players as the ACC’s top programs." It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's tacitly encouraging the best local players to go elsewhere by implying that Georgia Tech isn't big boy football, and makes me want to punch him in the face. It's not going to happen overnight, but we've already seen improvement and there's no reason we can't at least recruit competitively with the best of them if we put focus on it.

I won't argue that we've had way too many penalties and that 100% needs addressing, but that has to be about one of the most ridiculous, one-sided articles I've seen from the AJC, and that's saying something.

I also absolute despise this statement towards the end, " The Jackets won’t ever have as many good players as the ACC’s top programs." It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's tacitly encouraging the best local players to go elsewhere by implying that Georgia Tech isn't big boy football, and makes me want to punch him in the face. It's not going to happen overnight, but we've already seen improvement and there's no reason we can't at least recruit competitively with the best of them if we put focus on it.

Absolutely. That statement was way uncalled-for. Just lazy talk off the top of his empty head.

So Paul's players are so outmatched athletically in Geoff's second season that they get penalized at a rate that is leaps and bounds higher than under any season that Paul was coach, or even during Geoff's first season?

Y'all are so invested in the "lack of talent" argument that y'all use it to explain everything from personal foul penalties to being unable to kick an extra point. Get some new material.

Take it up with the author, Paul.

Back