GSU to build new football stadium over Turner Field

soccer is more important than GSU football, thus they had to find a new field

Big news for the school. I think it was the best solution for the city of Atlanta as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2015/12/21/who-won-the-bid-to-redevelop-turner-field.html

Before it was a baseball stadium it was an Olympic track facility....remember? Could be easily repurposed/rebuilt/restored for a football stadium and have that connection to the Olympics, if that would matter to them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxqZeH8CUAEg-Y6.jpg:large

Best solution for the city of Atlanta is a better GT - both totally committed athletically and diversified academically.

But no doubt we will, as in 63, sit back and say "no worry."

http%3A%2F%2Fatlanta.curbed.com%2Fuploads%2FGA-State-Plans-thumb.jpg

thats cool. good idea. they can use the facilities to host high school games and championships and stuff

a good use of the space

I'm going to be the lone dissenter. What Atlanta needs economic development for that part of the city. A GSU athletic facility that will be little used and generate little foot traffic is a waste of space. A large mall, a tourist attraction that generates foot traffic, or a commercial space that provides business for lunch / dinner is going to do more good for the city.

I hope they build a multi-use facility with restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc for fans both before and after games.

Why would they do that? The Braves didn't do it.

Twas my sarcasm. The Braves wanted it, Atlanta wouldn't do it. The Braves are now doing it with a middle finger to Atlanta. I will never understand why the city never wanted to build that area up and make it a more attractive 'entertainment area'.

I will never understand why the city never wanted to build that area up and make it a more attractive 'entertainment area'.

Do you really think that's what happened...?

It is tough to get private money to invest a lot of money in a neighborhood that makes people with money uncomfortable. Only happens if much larger gentrification forces are at work anyhow, or if the city does various things to 'clean up' said sketchy neighborhood. But it is tough to get elected officials to do said 'cleaning up' when reelection depends on racial politics and bloc voting that lie in tension with what market forces want. In a nutshell it is hard to simultaneously blame white folks and ask for their help at the same time.

If the city had the magic power to redevelop something you wouldn't have seen the rise and fall and rise and fall and rise and fall of Underground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really think that's what happened...?

It is tough to get private money to invest a lot of money in a neighborhood that makes people with money uncomfortable. Only happens if much larger gentrification forces are at work anyhow, or if the city does various things to 'clean up' said sketchy neighborhood. But it is tough to get elected officials to do said 'cleaning up' when reelection depends on racial politics and bloc voting that lie in tension with what market forces want. In a nutshell it is hard to simultaneously blame white folks and ask for their help at the same time.

If the city had the magic power to redevelop something you wouldn't have seen the rise and fall and rise and fall and rise and fall of Underground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth!

At least the space will be maintained and used productively. The last thing the city needs is another Underground Atlanta fiasco that drains revenue for decades and attracts crime. Legitimate private developers have plenty of other areas in established locations to invest their money that represent less risk.

That is a very odd looking seating arrangement for football

From my understanding the space will also have dormitories and academic buildings. It really will represent an expansion in the GSU campus, not just a detatched athletic complex. This is a positive development for Atlanta and I would fully expect Summerhill gentrification to intensify. Vacant parking lots were never going to do that.

Back