GSU to build new football stadium over Turner Field

Haha. $300 million dollars for a school whose fans wouldn't fill the visitor side stands at Grady high school.

:biggthumpup:

think of all the high school championship and playoff games they will host and sell concessions at

this is a win for the city of Atlanta, imo

Haha. $300 million dollars for a school whose fans wouldn't fill the visitor side stands at Grady high school.

Georgia State University  
Enrollment: 32,842 (2014)

If they keep going to bowls, they will have no problem filling that stadium within 3 years.

Re purposing the stadium makes sense. Adding residential and some retail and the area is the big win IMO for Atlanta.

Re purposing the stadium makes sense. Adding residential and some retail and the area is the big win IMO for Atlanta.

Yup and as an East Atlanta resident I couldn't be more excited. Especially since it looks like Pullman Yards will continue to be state owned and utilized mostly for film shoots for the foreseeable future.

Georgia State University  

If they keep going to bowls, they will have no problem filling that stadium within 3 years.

And they have averaged probably 2,000 of those students showing up to games over the past 5 years, while playing in the premier sports arena in the state...with Marta access. If the excitement of starting a football program and jumping straight up to FBS could not create momentum, I just dont see what ever will.

As laughable as I think the idea of GaState's football program is, this is ultimately probably the best thing for the area. Shopping would probably never work down there...people with money just arent going to go downtown. The GaState students are already used to the dead zone that is downtown, so im sure they can fill those dorms easily.

Keep turning your noses up, snobs. Every program has to start somewhere. If GSU continues to develop the campus, this could eventually be a real problem for Tech. Not in 5 or 10 years but possibly in 15 or 20.

Keep turning your noses up, snobs. Every program has to start somewhere. If GSU continues to develop the campus, this could eventually be a real problem for Tech. Not in 5 or 10 years but possibly in 15 or 20.
You are correct, it will not have a positive effect on our sports program

Georgia State University  

Agreed. Plus the new stadium and related facilities will mean better recruiting, which will mean better football, which will mean bigger crowds. GT better get our act together or we'll be the number 2 college athletic program in the city of Atlanta.

Doubt it.

They "started somewhere" 5 years ago and were met with a giant "Meh" from their students and Alumni. Huge lack of support. No culture for college football at Ga State. It's hard to build something special without any fans.

Georgia Southern, with their rabid fan base and football culture are 10X more of a threat to Tech than State will ever be.

I will be very interested to see what the multifamily market looks like by the time these things start coming online.

I will also be very interested to see what the education market looks like.

This decision really needed to be made last year or the year before.

Helluva Entrepreneur said:
And they have averaged probably 2,000 of those students showing up to games over the past 5 years, while playing in the premier sports arena in the state...with Marta access. If the excitement of starting a football program and jumping straight up to FBS could not create momentum, I just dont see what ever will.

Well my point was those students become alumni with money and you need a full cohort of graduates that "grew up" with a Georgia State football program to start filling the stadium. Most of my friends who went to Georgia State are still fans of other programs, but those that had a football team their whole undergraduate career will build momentum.

I believe further investing in a true identity for the program by having their own stadium will be a good thing. I personally would always rather go to BDS than the Georgia Dome for a GT game because of the atmosphere we have built at home.

Agreed. Plus the new stadium and related facilities will mean better recruiting, which will mean better football, which will mean bigger crowds. GT better get our act together or we'll be the number 2 college athletic program in the city of Atlanta.

This could be a threat, but to make a counterpoint to what I said above it doesn't seem like the commuter schools (USF, UCF, etc.) can seem to maintain momentum year over year like the traditional programs. Then again neither of those programs have their own facilities.

Too much hand wringing in this thread for my taste.

Man up, bitches.

Well my point was those students become alumni with money and you need a full cohort of graduates that "grew up" with a Georgia State football program to start filling the stadium. Most of my friends who went to Georgia State are still fans of other programs, but those that had a football team their whole undergraduate career will build momentum.

I believe further investing in a true identity for the program by having their own stadium will be a good thing. I personally would always rather go to BDS than the Georgia Dome for a GT game because of the atmosphere we have built at home.

This could be a threat, but to make a counterpoint to what I said above it doesn't seem like the commuter schools (USF, UCF, etc.) can seem to maintain momentum year over year like the traditional programs. Then again neither of those programs have their own facilities.

UCF has an on campus stadium and drew 30,000 in a pitiful year and have averaged as high as 42,000. That's nothing like GSU.

Will GSU actually foot the bill for the moving expenses of the residents? Or will they have to move their own stuff to Clayton, Henry and Rockdale counties?

Yet another effort by the state legislators to gradually make GSU the city sports school while deemphasizing sports at Tech. Writing is on the wall....

Back