GSU to build new football stadium over Turner Field

GSU has baseball? Couldn't hurt.

Actually, the GSU baseball program is getting pretty good. They recruited a couple of my players last year.

Their current baseball field is in Decatur so this is going to definitely help their program by moving it just off the campus.

It would be harder to find something more stupid than to pick on Georgia State THIS YEAR about the bowl they played in since we're sitting at home with a 3-9 record.

No öööö but it's even dumber to be so self-deprecating you don't even accept the joke for what it was.

But Tech fans gotta Tech fan.

What you're proposing was tried, and failed, before with Turner Field and the Olympics.

Just because a previous Atlanta government failed to revitalize the area doesn't mean that a future Atlanta government will also fail. Plenty of cities have been successful in revitalizing poverty stricken areas.

Just because a previous Atlanta government failed to revitalize the area doesn't mean that a future Atlanta government will also fail. Plenty of cities have been successful in revitalizing poverty stricken areas.

Atlanta has tried to revitalize that area since I have been alive. It just isn't somewhere that is appealing to live. My sister's step daughter bought a home in the Grant Park area about 10 years ago because they were revitalizing the area. They finally moved about 2 years ago to Dunwoody after tiring of numerous break ins and thefts. They had a nice home down there in the Grant Park/Turner Field corridor. Says a lot when they had to keep the gas grill locked on a chain to keep it from being taken while at work.

there is growth from East Atlanta through Grant Park down Glenwood and it will still be a few years before the demand will turn stuff over all the way to the connector. But it is happening.

More developments are trying to get permitted into that area, but actually the homeowners are fighting hard to stop it somewhat. they blocked a Walmart that is going to be a Kroger instead, just past the already existing stuff on Glenwood between Moreland and Boulevard

as far as crime and having to chain your grill up during the day. a buddy of mine has a landscaping business and he sees the same thing in Dunwoody, Kennesaw or Va Highlands. Its a sign of the times more than a sign of where you are

i think that the Georgia State development will help the area out, not only because GA State students and professors will find it a nice connection between potential living areas and work/study, but also because the many local schools that could use such an sports park for championships or big games.

here is a listing of break-ins at homes compared in two areas. Zone 6, which includes East Atlanta, Little 5 Points and Grant Park area

24020612316_79d15119a8.jpg

and Zone 2, which is Buckhead, East Paces, and the like. looks pretty similar

23964151221_3dc444ebce.jpg

It is true that Zone 2 is larger geographically, but i do not think that translates into more homes/apartments. so, this data is not fully normalized, but i think it provides enough evidence to stop the ridiculous claims of some about how crime affects the city of Atlanta and its surrounding areas

EDIT:
here is the APD link to the crime maps
http://www.atlantapd.org/findmyzone.aspx

Last edited:
Says a lot when they had to keep the gas grill locked on a chain to keep it from being taken while at work.

I fixed this the second I lived in the area by letting my dogs chase the guy about a block up the street. He had no idea that they wanted to play with him and it has worked pretty well since.

I of course am the guy that had his lawnmower stolen from my shed the same day that we were getting pantsed by Iowa in the Orange Bowl, but for the most part I have not experienced any significant crimes in the 9 years I've lived here.

i have lived in L5P, EAV, Inman Park area for about 14 of the 24 years since i graduated from Tech

i have had my house broken into exactly 0 times
i have had my car broken into 1 time
once, in my current house in EAV, my wallet was laying in the driveway for over 24 hours and it was still there
once, in my house in L5P/Inman Park i was heading out of town for business and rushed back inside on my way out the door because i forgotten something, before walking to the Marta rail. i left the keys in the door. they were there for 4 days before a buddy of mine sent me a text asking me if i was home. nothing was stolen

these are all just anecdotal evidence, but the imaginations that some of you have regarding living in these areas is so over the top stupid, you should be forced to actually live it in order to stem the flow of misrepresentation fueled by media and myth

Awesome. When is our bowl game? I can set my DVR to record it.

Let me fix it for you:

"I wonder what we're doing with the proceeds from the bowl others are going to play in this year?"

Financially, it's probably a good outcome for a $hit season.

I fixed this the second I lived in the area by letting my dogs chase the guy about a block up the street. He had no idea that they wanted to play with him and it has worked pretty well since.

I of course am the guy that had his lawnmower stolen from my shed the same day that we were getting pantsed by Iowa in the Orange Bowl, but for the most part I have not experienced any significant crimes in the 9 years I've lived here.

Bums got my lawnmower in home park. It was broken anyway, though, so joke's on them.

Let me fix it for you:

"I wonder what we're doing with the proceeds from the bowl others are going to play in this year?"

Financially, it's probably a good outcome for a $hit season.

Ummm....yeah....once again. I'll type slowly this time so you can understand it.

I KNOW we get to be the welfare crack babies of the ACC and share in the proceeds of others' bowl games.

But when dumbasses come on here and start making comments about Georgia State playing in some low level bowl (their first ever, IIRC) while we are sitting at home because we didn't make a bowl is just ööööing stupid. And yeah, it deserves to be called out.

i have lived in L5P, EAV, Inman Park area for about 14 of the 24 years since i graduated from Tech

i have had my house broken into exactly 0 times
i have had my car broken into 1 time
once, in my current house in EAV, my wallet was laying in the driveway for over 24 hours and it was still there
once, in my house in L5P/Inman Park i was heading out of town for business and rushed back inside on my way out the door because i forgotten something, before walking to the Marta rail. i left the keys in the door. they were there for 4 days before a buddy of mine sent me a text asking me if i was home. nothing was stolen

these are all just anecdotal evidence, but the imaginations that some of you have regarding living in these areas is so over the top stupid, you should be forced to actually live it in order to stem the flow of misrepresentation fueled by media and myth

Wow, you're pretty lucky.

Home Park sophomore year:
  • lawnmower stolen from a shed
  • stereo stolen from inside the house - bum walked straight through the front door while a roommate was inside in the back
  • Car window busted so a bum could steal a broken discman

Home Park Junior year:
Window busted and record collection stolen.

Up off Delk Rd. in some condos senior year:
Girlfriend had her car broken into and stereo ripped off.

Sandy Springs:
Guy popped my car lock and stole a checkbook. Sold it to a pro, who made a fake ID with his picture and my name and ran me for about $3000 worth of check fraud. This was renting a place on a lake next to a bunch of million dollar houses.

Same timeframe but downtown:
Bums jimmied my lock while I was at the City of Atlanta courthouse to pay a ticket, in full view of a dozen cops most likely. Didn't steal anything.

East Cobb:
A pair of pros followed me from the bank branch after I pulled out $300 in 1s for a bachelor party. Jimmied the lock of my truck door while I was in the Goodwill parking lot and stole the cash. I bet they thought they had the big score until they found out the denominations.

That and the odd fence graffiti or automobile collision.

Ummm....yeah....once again. I'll type slowly this time so you can understand it.

I KNOW we get to be the welfare crack babies of the ACC and share in the proceeds of others' bowl games.

But when dumbasses come on here and start making comments about Georgia State playing in some low level bowl (their first ever, IIRC) while we are sitting at home because we didn't make a bowl is just ööööing stupid. And yeah, it deserves to be called out.
You sucked at calling him out dumbass. You framed your question around money, which we do get.

Atlanta has tried to revitalize that area since I have been alive. It just isn't somewhere that is appealing to live. My sister's step daughter bought a home in the Grant Park area about 10 years ago because they were revitalizing the area. They finally moved about 2 years ago to Dunwoody after tiring of numerous break ins and thefts. They had a nice home down there in the Grant Park/Turner Field corridor. Says a lot when they had to keep the gas grill locked on a chain to keep it from being taken while at work.

Fertile hunting grounds. :biggthumpup:

Back