GT +18

As Clemson grad and GT diehard, I’d probably put the spread at +9 or so. Clemson has not played well this season, but there is still a lot of talent there, and oddsmakers are certainly taking that into account. Anything above +14 seems like easy money, because Clemson has not shown the ability to score enough points to pull away from anybody, even when dominating the game (as they largely did with ND).

For anyone who hasn’t seen a lot of Clemson, here’s a quick rundown.

The defense is still very, very good. Not 4-first-rounders-on-the-DL good, but still pretty nasty. The DBs are probably as good as I’ve seen at Clemson, and the front seven is pretty disruptive. Run D is probably the weak point, but they’re still pretty stout. If we can’t establish some type of run game, it’s gonna be really tough sledding.

The offense has been mediocre at best this year. There hasn’t been much of a run game, to speak of, and the passing game is too inconsistent to move the chains. The QB is struggling, but I think it’s as much on the receivers as anything. After years of being loaded with future Pro Bowlers, I’m not sure there is an obvious NFL guy on this entire team. The complete lack of a vertical threat makes it easier for teams to shut down the run and lateral passing game, leading to the inconsistency we’ve seen.

The x-factor for me is Clemson’s ground game. After struggling all year, Clemson ran Mafah down ND’s throat and really controlled the game. If they can do that to GT, I’m not sure we’ll be able to keep up. OTOH, if we can stifle their run game, they have shown a tendency to make backbreaking mistakes that we could capitalize on.

In the end, I could see this game going either way. Regardless, I’ll be there cheering on the Jackets!

Mafah is a big punishing back that weighs 230. He had 36 carries against ND for 186 yards. To put that in perspective Ohio St and USC had 125 yards rushing as a team against ND. That doesn’t bode well for us. I look for Clemson to run it right at us to see if we’re man enough to stop them.
Unless Clemson goes full retart, they're gonna bully ball all day long.

Well Dabo said that we better buy stock in Clemson lol

36 rushes good lord! We obviously have to find
Well Mafah is better than Shipley, so that probably helps us.
i’m pretty sure that Shipley is Dabo’s illegitimate love-child so we probably won’t see much of Mafah

Down to -14. Took it at 17 and will probably take it again if it goes back up

This is Clemson's rushing stats versus Notre Dame. Vegas thinks that we won't be able to stop their run game.

1699272108107.png
I hope they're reading their press clipping right now.

So we doing this or just going to talk about it? Put your money where your mouth is! I got in tonight before the line moves anymore. 20231106_185855~2.jpg

Common opponents:
Miami - Clemson lost by 8, we won by 3
WF - Clemson won by 5, we won by 14

Best wins:
Us: two wins against teams ranked #17 at the time
Them: one win against the #15 team at the time...17 pt win against Cuse (4-5)?

Last 3 weeks:
Us: Loss by 15, Win by 4 against #17, Win by 28
Them: Loss by 8, Loss by 7, Win by 8 against #15

Worst losses:
Us: BGSU (5-4), BC (6-3)
Them: Duke (6-3), NC State (6-3)

I think this is actually a pretty even matchup. We've got the worse losses, but better wins. We're a little more hot at the moment, but they looked good yesterday. We've done better against both common opponents.
Statistically, I can't figure out why they're so dang bad this year. At least 4 losses bad. Turnover margin of -2 is the only thing I see, but doesn't explain 4 losses. Their defense is, by all metrics, actually pretty good. Their offense, while not good, is resoundingly mediocre. They don't put a lot of points on the board, but don't give up many either.

Scoring, GT: 33.2-30.11
Scoring, Clemson: 29-21.22

Their rushing offense vs our defense: -63
Their passing offense vs our defense: -24
Our rushing offense vs their defense: +6
Our passing offense vs their defense: -34

We've got the better resume, at least imo and certainly against common opponents, but every statistic I've looked at tells me they're going to whoop our backside.

I hate to say it, but I think we lose this one: 34-27

Hope the guys find a way.

I really think the “OK we are actually good, there’s nothing to worry about” is gonna bite Clemson in this one. The hope is that the lead is so big at halftime they can’t recover.

Throw out previous seasons records and how would it even be an upset? We're both 5-4 and I think the resumes are pretty even.
There's to much name recognition bias in college football. It shows in the rankings all the time. If wake and Clemson/fsu finished the season with the exact same record and teams faced, Wake would be at least five spots lower. And don't get me started on the sec.

Now that I'm done bitching, we're going to embarrass those hicks and send the original clown packing

Clemson's six ACC opponents have a combined 35-19 record and have outscored Clemson by a combined 21 points.

GT's six ACC opponents have a combined 33-21 record and GT has outscored them by a combined 29 points.

GT is 2-1 against ranked opponents (Miss, Miami, UNC). Clemson is 1-1 against ranked opponents (FSU, ND).

GT's four losses are to teams with a combined 27-9 record. Clemson's four losses are to teams with a combined 27-9 record.

Common opponents are Wake Forest and Miami. Both beat Wake. Clemson lost a close game to Miami. GT won a close game against Miami.

Clemson's defense ranks 6th in the nation. GT's offense ranks 14th in the nation. Clemson's strength vs GT's strength.

Clemson's offense ranks 55th in the nation. GT's defense ranks 129th in the nation. Clemson's weakness vs GT's weakness.

Clemson is 1-1 at home against ACC opponents. GT is 3-0 on the road against ACC opponents.

Clemson is 3-6 against the spread. GT is 5-4 against the spread.

Both team's coming off a win. This is most event GT-Clemson matchup in a long, long time.

Throw out previous seasons records and how would it even be an upset? We're both 5-4 and I think the resumes are pretty even.
There's to much name recognition bias in college football. It shows in the rankings all the time. If wake and Clemson/fsu finished the season with the exact same record and teams faced, Wake would be at least five spots lower. And don't get me started on the sec.

Now that I'm done bitching, we're going to embarrass those hicks and send the original clown packing
Why any sport allows opinion to determine a winner is beyond me. UCF went undefeated and didn’t make the championship. Then they went undefeated the next year and didn’t make the championship game.

We need a system where the champions is determined on the field, not by talking heads

Why any sport allows opinion to determine a winner is beyond me. UCF went undefeated and didn’t make the championship. Then they went undefeated the next year and didn’t make the championship game.

We need a system where the champions is determined on the field, not by talking heads
You mean putting random 13 bias-filled people that don’t watch all the games in a room isn’t the best way to make a decision?

Back