GT adds patsy major for athletes

This can be as hard or as easy as it is made. I don't see much wrong with adding a program that some athletes would be interested in--so long as we keep high academic standards for it: no "Fundamentals of Basketball", calculus required, etc.

Merge with Agnes Scott. That might add one beautiful woman, even though she probably wouldn't be Southern.

We need women that want to 'have relations' with potential recruits, not each other :biggthumpup: (but that's ok too!). It's like a fraternity rush in some ways. As an 18 year old, do you join the house that has a bunch of good looking women hanging out there.... or the Tri-Lambdas...

The second GT does what many fans ask for, fans complain.

I know some of this is sarcasm, but seriously.. Now if only GT could have girls.. Or a good team.. (Better) team.

not sure anyone picked up on this, but notice how this was done with a combination of honoring Homer Rice?

Notice how the admissions programs changed when Homer left?

coincidence? Not. Homer turned around the GTAA and we all owe him way more credit than is given. The guy single handidly made basketball relevant again, brought in Boss Ross and started to turn the football program around, then had a bad hire in lewis but corrected it before he left.

FYI Ross probably would have stuck around longer if homer was able to continue to help admissions of SA's...he just couldn't do it to the degree needed

anyway...just thought it was an interesting combination in the article from earlier this year.

Homer turned around the GTAA and we all owe him way more credit than is given.

History will rank what Homer Rice did for Georgia Tech right behind what Jesus did for Lazerus. And the vote will be close.

Does anyone wonder why the Tech UGa game of 1981 was nationally televised when, before ESPN existed, such a mismatch would never get that kind of coverage? Homer Rice pulled strings at ABC to get the game on because the GTAA was basically out of money. The cash we got from that game saved our collective butt from near bankruptcy.

What Homer Rice did for Tech is beyond legendary.

I think HTS was there in the my time at Tech, 76-81, or maybe it just got started then.

When I was a student President Petit was clearly and I think openly trying to make GT the MIT of the South. And it worked. Except MIT has lots of majors aside from pure math and engineering but GT doesn't.

Virginia Tech has a highly regarded engineering school. But, nobody there complains about the vast number of liberal arts degrees that are also offered.

If you guys really thought adding majors that permit the college of management to prepare students for careers in sports management, it would really disappoint me.

All of you have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Virginia Tech has a highly regarded engineering school.

popcorn-o.gif

From what I remember (I graduated in 2010) HTS was a major. A major more laughable than STAC.

For those of you that think that offering more diverse majors at GT would devalue a degree from GT are WRONG!! Not only does it open up doors for student athletes, but it also opens up doors for other students. GT would keep the standards high no matter the major.

Seems to me there is another possible outcome. Add some new majors and be as good at it as we are with the majors we offer now. Adding a new major doesn't have to mean we suck at it - why can't we be in the top 10 in the country at it?

Syracuse has a communications school - the list of alumni from it reads like a Who's Who of journalism. No reason we couldn't do the same.

We should at least be as good as Syracuse. :rolleyes:

Not sure if serious about the eye-roll. Offering a new major in communications and being as good at it as Syracuse would not be easy.

My point is that if we do offer any new majors, we should do so with the vision to be as good at it as we are with Engineering, CS and Architecture.

Not sure if serious about the eye-roll. Offering a new major in communications and being as good at it as Syracuse would not be easy.

My point is that if we do offer any new majors, we should do so with the vision to be as good at it as we are with Engineering, CS and Architecture.

We thoroughly trounced Syracuse.

Back