GT adds patsy major for athletes

History will rank what Homer Rice did for Georgia Tech right behind what Jesus did for Lazerus. And the vote will be close.

Does anyone wonder why the Tech UGa game of 1981 was nationally televised when, before ESPN existed, such a mismatch would never get that kind of coverage? Homer Rice pulled strings at ABC to get the game on because the GTAA was basically out of money. The cash we got from that game saved our collective butt from near bankruptcy.

What Homer Rice did for Tech is beyond legendary.

They should name an award for him... something to honor athletic director excellence or something.

We should also have an award named after Bobby Dodd, you know, for coaching excellence or something. And something for assistant coaches. Any GT assistant coaches qualify to name the award after?

And something for the best college football player. I am not sure what we could call it, but it would be nice to have a link to GT in the name.

I know I am being piggish to want to name an award for every positive aspect of college football after some GT personage, but wouldn't that be great?

Actually they are listed in there. Pg 11, ranked 66; we are 23.

That's in the public list using a different set of parameters. As it is, they are still 43 spots lower. No one should ever want to be compared to VIPISU.

What Homer Rice did for Tech is beyond legendary.

He single handedly picked GT athletics up off the mat, polished us up, and set it back on the mantle of relevancy. Funny that the guy who put us on the mat is the same guy the stadium is named for.

Also, people seem to have skipped over QuadF's post. This isn't a major. Just a class list for a certificate under the same HST major which has been around forever.

when i was in grad school around 2000 i took "sports mgt" classes that were housed in HTS

Adjunct Prof Dick Rodgers was the MAN; sports marketing innovator and tactical marketing genius

created the Kroger affinity card

when i was in grad school around 2000 i took "sports mgt" classes that were housed in HTS

Adjunct Prof Dick Rodgers was the MAN; sports marketing innovator and tactical marketing genius

created the Kroger affinity card

Serious question. If we have a sports marketing genius at GT, then why does our actual sports marketing suck?

here is his bio: http://www.directions2marketing.com/about-the-author/

headshot300dpi-201x300.jpg

and i think he is still housed in the College of Architecture, apparently
https://www.directory.gatech.edu/directory/detail/cnIzMQ==

In the mid-1990s, new Ivan Allen College Dean Robert G. Hawkins asked Dick to innovate and teach a new course on “Sports Sponsorship in Corporate Marketing Strategy” for the COM, a unit of Georgia Tech’s Ivan Allen College at that time.

This in turn led to his performing a major strategic study of sports marketing for TEXACO – “How to Use Sports More Effectively to Build Brand Image, Sales, Market Share & Long Term Profitability.” A new consulting relationship with TEXACO then began and continued until its merger with Royal Dutch Shell several years later.

In 1998, the Georgia Tech College of Architecture’s late Dean Thomas D. Galloway discovered Dick’s book Marketing Legal Services and recruited him to develop and teach a marketing course for the College of Architecture. A still unreplicated first in higher education Architecture curricula, it is now “A/E/C Marketing & Business Development.”

In 2006 he was asked to innovate “another business emphasis course” by Architecture Program Director Ellen Dunham-Jones. Now in its fourth year, “Leading the A/E/C Firm” presents a survey of CEO-level strategic management and marketing issues with which an A/E/C CEO should be cognizant.

Both courses use Dick’s text/workbook/marketing guide DIRECTIONS, and in the fall of 2010, DIRECTIONS2-Strategic Management & Marketing For A/E/C Business Development.

As further indication of the two courses’ educational value, the COA’s Building Construction program in Fall Semester 2010 adopted both courses, producing 50+ total COA students for each course. A/E/C professionals can audit both courses for Continuing Education credits via Georgia Tech’s Distance Learning Division.

More than 20 leading CEOs and Principals from A/E/C firms support each course as Guest Speakers, using Dick’s Socratic Question profiles designed to help them present their personal and corporate stories featuring the information of most value to young student professionals with scant business familiarity and understanding.

In addition to his appointment as non-tenure track PT Associate Professor at Georgia Tech (1998), he is President of The Kelley Rodgers Group, Atlanta-based marketing and management consultants. He and his wife, an artist, reside in Atlanta

Back