GT Football thus far 2014

I know that Justin is in his first year as starter but where do you see him fitting on this list thus far?

Thomas *should* end up being one of the best QBs we've ever had. I don't want to jinx him, and he certainly has a long way to go, but dude has a ceiling unlike anything we've had before besides maybe Joe Hamilton. He also seems to have a good head on his shoulders and, most importantly, the work ethic to help him reach his ceiling. Also seems to be a relatively quick learner.

He's got a ways to go, but if he keeps working hard he should be a great one.

This. I was defending Tevin when half of you were crapping all over him. Dude led us to some big wins and was consistently good. He also had a few near comebacks (uga and VT in particular) that were lost because of defense and special teams. He stepped up when we needed him and did a pretty solid job. Obviously not all world, but he seemed to be a good person and a solid player. Also set the record for QB rush yards in a huge upset against clemmons.

I noted earlier in the season that JT made more plays in 4 games than Tevin did in 4 years.

wat??? Unbelieveable.

Tevin was not a horrible QB. Vad was horrible even though PJ adjusted his system for him.

Tevin's stats show he was not a horrible QB. Had Tevin or JN had Vads arm CPJ would never been on the hot seat.

I love for my team to win football games, don't get me wrong. I get plenty pissed off when we don't and my blood pressure spikes every time the other team converts a 3rd down. But a few years back I had to have a serious reality check on what I was allowing to control my happiness for a few days at a time. I came to the realization that relying on 18-21 year olds to win football games in order for me to have a good weekend was downright ridiculous.

Since that fateful night (Saturday after Thanksgiving, 2009) I've been just as happy about the wins but nowhere near as devastated by the losses. Such is the benefit of having no real impact on the outcome of the game.

The thing I love most about football season is who I go to the games with and how much ridiculous fun we have before, during, and after the games. It takes a special kind of person to be a diehard Tech fan and our group has some of the best around.

And sure, winning makes it all the more enjoyable... and in 2014 we've already done a lot more winning than most of us thought we would.

Finally, its hard not to enjoy this season for me. This little guy was born a few hours before Harrison Butker kicked a FG to beat Virginia Tech on 9/20.

fIpWdESl.jpg

Saturday's the last chance to do it again until Fall next year. See y'all there.

Awesome post, that's almost exactly the trajectory I have followed as a fan, and you summed up why I like to support Georgia Tech football.

And you were wrong then, too.

In terms of making plays to win games based solely on athleticism and playmaking ability, I agree that JT has already done more than Tevin. TW ran the offense very efficiently and we were pretty good on that side of the ball while he was here. But let's not pretend he was ever a playmaker. He wasn't going to win a footrace, run anybody over, juke anybody, or evade rushers and make a clutch throw on the run. If he did, it was very rare. JT does it every game, and I still don't think we've scratched the surface of what he can do for us.

edit - I didn't mean that as the Tevin-bash that it came across as. He was a game manager, just like Hutson Mason or Cole Stoudt. That is enough to win games, but when things break down Justin Thomas is simply a difference maker.

Tevin's performance against Clemson 2011 was inspiring. If we had even had the defense we have now, we would have had some good seasons with TW. JT is awesome, and will be better than TW, but he has yet to beat a ranked opponent and he's made some mistakes, too. There were games Tevin carried the team, calling his own number to do it. I don't think it's fair to him or his legacy to say he didn't.

Back