GT QB/LB

Hey GTFISH....any other progress with freshman that are already at school or other players? How about RBs or Academics? Anything positive would be great to hear

Nothing really new. I will try to find out some more soon. I finally figured out it was Lamar Lewis who was at camp the other week when I was watching. We are the highest on his list. He seemed to really like our coaches. Would be a big land for Tech. There is another camp in a few weeks. I believe this one has more of the recruits we are after. Ill try to find out some things soon though.

THANKS SO MUCH GTFish!!! Your info is MUCH appreciated by us folks so far away from the Flats!!

Please keep the info train coming! We'll be breathless with anticipation!!

Thanks again mate!

I heard Dbo was benching 405 lbs now
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's fantastic! Those opposing defenses' interceptions will be much harder to hang on to with the added stregnth!

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> I heard Dbo was benching 405 lbs now
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's fantastic! Those opposing defenses' interceptions will be much harder to hang on to with the added stregnth!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'd rather take my chances with DBO than suffer through another season watching Suggs choke when the games on the line. I'm sure he's a good kid,...but he's had his chance,...actually, he's had two chances. Time to move on. I pray that our Sunday School teacher doesn't trot him out on the field in Provo. Why knock on Bilbo?....he really hasn't been given the opportunity as of yet. We suffered through 12 and half games with Suggs,...how much more punishment must we endure?

GATA JACKETS!!!

with all due respect to the fish, 405 #!!! Are you sure. That sounds like NFL lineman class, not college QB. Any verification?

Originally posted by Driver8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> I heard Dbo was benching 405 lbs now
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's fantastic! Those opposing defenses' interceptions will be much harder to hang on to with the added stregnth!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'd rather take my chances with DBO than suffer through another season watching Suggs choke when the games on the line. I'm sure he's a good kid,...but he's had his chance,...actually, he's had two chances. Time to move on. I pray that our Sunday School teacher doesn't trot him out on the field in Provo. Why knock on Bilbo?....he really hasn't been given the opportunity as of yet. We suffered through 12 and half games with Suggs,...how much more punishment must we endure?

GATA JACKETS!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They'll be on that D-Bo bandwagon when he is drilling bullets into receivers numbers and lazering 60 and 70 yard passes in addition to either lowering his head and leveling D-Backs or simply outrunning them. I think what benching 405 should be telling everyone is that he is working hard, he expects to be physical with the opposition, and he is claiming the starting job. Should be some huge holes to run behind Dorsey and Robinson this year (about 650 pounds worth of it)

If Carter or Ball can show future potential...I would rather go with one of them for four full years.

We already know that this year...and maybe next...will be a growing year for lots of young players.

Originally posted by hiveredtech:
If Carter or Ball can show future potential...I would rather go with one of them for four full years.

We already know that this year...and maybe next...will be a growing year for lots of young players.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Reggie Ball weighs 185 pounds. Pat Carter weighs 170. Both are freshmen. They both need at least 15 to 20 pounds on them. I'd rather not see their promising futures destroyed by rushing them into service. A few hits from a 300+ pound Auburn D-lineman in their second game in college might just do the career ending trick. Bilbo outweighs them both by what? 40 pounds? He's supposedly benching 405, but even if it was 305 that would be great for a QB. He's strong. He's quick. He's got a cannon. He's got a good QB coach and a good head coach. All he has to do is realize that he has the potential to be one of the biggest, strongest, quickest, toughest QB's in college football. I still believe he is a diamond in the rough and he'll be good, real good, this year.

I can't believe there are people who have already given up on Bilbo. He's only going to be a RS-Soph! He's got too much talent to give up on. Carson Palmer underachieved until his senior year. I say we get excited about his potential.

I still hold out hope for Bilbo.
When Goose Godsey first hit the filed, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a football. I cringed whe he took a snap.
But, look what happened when he became the starter....Give Bilbo a chance to get out there knowing he is the man.

JJTech--Bilbo is not quick at all. He has good straight ahead speed. Hamilton is quick....Charlie Rogers is quick. etc. For instance, he is not, never has been, and never will be an option QB.

I am not doubting Bilbo's athleticism. He has the size, arm, and decent mobility. His problem is all upstairs...does he possess the quick decision making, defense reading skills, and leadership skills to be THE QUARTERBACK.

Originally posted by hiveredtech:
JJTech--Bilbo is not quick at all. He has good straight ahead speed. Hamilton is quick....Charlie Rogers is quick. etc. For instance, he is not, never has been, and never will be an option QB.

I am not doubting Bilbo's athleticism. He has the size, arm, and decent mobility. His problem is all upstairs...does he possess the quick decision making, defense reading skills, and leadership skills to be THE QUARTERBACK.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't see where there is a problem upstairs. Maybe young last year, I'll give you that. Just because he doesn't juke every 5 steps doesn't mean he ain't quick. I just hope I get to see him plow a couple of cornerbacks, LB's and Safetys this year. Anyhow, he's who I would spend my time with in practice, conditioning, film and the play books. I still just have a feeling that 3 seasons from now, when he's a senior, he'll be one of the best in CFB.

When/if Bilbo is given game experience I promise he will start to understand things better and you will be proud of your GT quarterback.

Red,

I'd agree that Bilbo is not an option qb, but he has much better than "decent" mobility. A mobile QB doesn't have to be quick. When they decide to scramble they often have huge gapping holes. He can do plenty of damage running the football and that equals mobility. It helps to be quick to avoid the rush, but Bilbo's strength will help him avoid the rush.

I do agree that he has to show he can make the quick decisons, but physically he has ALL the tools.

I don't care what the coaches or anyone says, there is too much talent there to give up on a kid that hasn't played his sophomore season yet. I'm certainly not a believer that two very raw freshmen are going to come in steal the job. Every coach paints their incoming QB as the next big thing, Crenshaw, Bilbo, Landry, the coaches gushed about all of them. Heck, Fridge and O'Leary were convinced they couldn't win with Goose. They did everything they could to give the ball to Hall in 2000. Goose, just took the job. That is what Bilbo needs to do.

I doubt one of the freshmen can pick up the offense and be that effective in the short amount of time available before the games begin.

All three of the returning quarterbacks were probably rated higher than the two incoming ones. I believe with Nix as the QB coach, all three will be much improved over last year's QB play.

wink.gif

I agree that it would be nearly impossible to do much at QB as a true freshman...and now that we lost our top two TB's...the time to learn by handing it off is gone. The current academic situation definitely helped Bilbo's chances.

I certainly hope Bilbo can put all of his tools to use...he has the best arm strength we have ever had...although the short pass lacks touch.

Hypothetical. If our team this year is destined to be a "growth year"...and would win only 4 games (say we open 0-4)...and you (as a coach) feel like a true freshman QB could catch up with Bilbo by mid-season next year if he started this year, but would not be better this year...who would you want starting game 5?

Hiveredtech, Not being short, but it matters little to me who gets the starting quarterback job, as long as we win games.

I was only stating the obvious. It is extremely difficult for a freshman to come in and earn the starting QB job in the Fall.

The other obvious statement is regarding the freshmen quarterbacks. Every year QBs come in highly rated. A high rating in high school does not guarantee you can do the job in college.

My point was Bilbo, Suggs, and Camp were probably rated higher than the present QBs, or at least equal to them. Sometimes, the problem is not the QB, it is the coach in charge of them.

With a new quarterback coach, the possibility exists all three of last year's QBs may be much better this year than last.

Sometimes, we as fans, tend to have favorites and think they are best because we have heard good things about them and we want them to tbe the main man.

That does not get it done on the field. The new kids come in, the coach assesses their performance and makes his decision. You can bet your boots, if a coach thinks he can win better with a newcomer, that player will be the man.

If he does not win the job, it means the coach (Nix) does not think he will do as well as the other QB, probably even by the 5th game.

I want the best QB in the game to give us the best chance to win. Since I am not out there coaching the kids, I will have to rely on the coaches there.

It should also be obvious, the QB coach was changed for a good reason. Since Gailey's job depends on the wins and losses, he would surely think he has a better chance of winning with the new QB coach rather than the old one.

wink.gif

We already know that Suggs looks great in practice, but does not handle game pressure as well. He will definitely not start again.

Regarding QB development, you are exactly correctly...coaching is huge. We are spoiled because we had the best living QB coach in the world here for most of the past 13 years with Friedgen. Heck...look what he is doing with McBrien!!!

I do not have any favorites. If the coaches think Dorsey would give us the best chance to win as the QB then I am for it. All I know is that Camp and Suggs are on their way out...and Bilbo, Ball, and Carter are critical as we approach the next two seasons.

We have been lead down the path of the next great Tech QB so many times. Remember how O'Leary used to say someone "was going to be special". This was said about Logan and Crenshaw as QB's. Matter of fact, based on his comments I used to look into the future at this upcoming Auburn game wondering which of the two would start then. The coaches used to say that Logan, as the scout team QB, was giving the first team defense fits.

I guess you just never know.

Back