GT recruiting

Golden- Bama and Auburn tried to visit and sway him this past week
Mason-told Dabo and Dooley to F themselves
Jackson-FSU and Miami are chasing him now
McNair-NC State and UNC are still trying to sway
Snoddy- Ole Miss trying to get him

I would say we're doing pretty well at evaluating talent. These were guys that some on here pooh-poohed but the big boys are going after them hard. These are just the ones I've heard about. We have a bunch of guys that have been solid to us for so long, that even if schools were still chasing, I doubt we'd hear anything.

This is a very good class for GT, and if we pick up Cooper or Tuitt, it will be our best back to back classes since O'Leary.

Golden- Bama and Auburn tried to visit and sway him this past week
Mason-told Dabo and Dooley to F themselves
Jackson-FSU and Miami are chasing him now
McNair-NC State and UNC are still trying to sway
Snoddy- Ole Miss trying to get him

I would say we're doing pretty well at evaluating talent. These were guys that some on here pooh-poohed but the big boys are going after them hard. These are just the ones I've heard about. We have a bunch of guys that have been solid to us for so long, that even if schools were still chasing, I doubt we'd hear anything.

This is a very good class for GT, and if we pick up Cooper or Tuitt, it will be our best back to back classes since O'Leary.

GREAT! Recruits should be knocking CPJ's door down wanting to come to Georgia Tech. Wikipedia says:Georgia Tech is consistently ranked among the best universities in the United States and the world. For over a decade, Georgia Tech has remained in the top ten public universities in the United States.[48] In 2008-2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Tech as the No. 7 public university, and No. 35 among all universities.[48] In 2010, The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked Georgia Tech 27th in the world, 10th in Engineering & IT, 20th in North America, and 5th among public universities.[49] Tech has the No. 4 undergraduate engineering program, and the No. 4 graduate engineering programGeorgia Tech is consistently ranked among the best universities in the United States and the world. For over a decade, Georgia Tech has remained in the top ten public universities in the United States.[48] In 2008-2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Tech as the No. 7 public university, and No. 35 among all universities.[48] In 2010, The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked Georgia Tech 27th in the world, 10th in Engineering & IT, 20th in North America, and 5th among public universities.[49] Tech has the No. 4 undergraduate engineering programed , and the No. 4 graduate engineering program.
WOW! all this and a good football program with great coaches and a Storied History in football going back many decades. We put as many players in the pros as anyone in football and basketball. We all need to keep this in front of all potential student athletes. It is not just about the NFL as many recruits seem to think. The BEST is important.

GREAT! Recruits should be knocking CPJ's door down wanting to come to Georgia Tech. Wikipedia says:Georgia Tech is consistently ranked among the best universities in the United States and the world. For over a decade, Georgia Tech has remained in the top ten public universities in the United States.[48] In 2008-2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Tech as the No. 7 public university, and No. 35 among all universities.[48] In 2010, The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked Georgia Tech 27th in the world, 10th in Engineering & IT, 20th in North America, and 5th among public universities.[49] Tech has the No. 4 undergraduate engineering program, and the No. 4 graduate engineering programGeorgia Tech is consistently ranked among the best universities in the United States and the world. For over a decade, Georgia Tech has remained in the top ten public universities in the United States.[48] In 2008-2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Tech as the No. 7 public university, and No. 35 among all universities.[48] In 2010, The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked Georgia Tech 27th in the world, 10th in Engineering & IT, 20th in North America, and 5th among public universities.[49] Tech has the No. 4 undergraduate engineering programed , and the No. 4 graduate engineering program.
WOW! all this and a good football program with great coaches and a Storied History in football going back many decades. We put as many players in the pros as anyone in football and basketball. We all need to keep this in front of all potential student athletes. It is not just about the NFL as many recruits seem to think. The BEST is important.

So nice, he said it twice.

even if Ben is..point still proven..Miami of OH is no powerhouse.

Short memory. Back when there were only like 8-10 bowls, Miami (OH) played the Tangerine Bowl every year from 73-75.
yeah that makes them a D1 powerhouse :hsugh:

FYI, they were ranked #10 as recent as last decade, which might be even better than their rankings in 73-75.

True but the idea isn't entirely without merit. Jared Allen played at Idaho St.
This is what I have replied to:
"most of the top-notch players came from smaller schools rather than D1 powerhouses"

which is plain wrong

I think "powerhouses" is the key word there......I'm talking football factories, I don't think I would count Miami (OH), BYU, Utah, Marshall, etc.

You don't think there is a higher percentage of non-football factories to football factories?

I think "powerhouses" is the key word there......I'm talking football factories, I don't think I would count Miami (OH), BYU, Utah, Marshall, etc.

You don't think there is a higher percentage of non-football factories to football factories?
For powerhouses, 10 of the 22 Pitt starters are from D1 powerhouses. I didn't count Michigan State, Illinois, UVA and Ole Miss as powerhouses, but I am not sure if I would call them smaller schools either, I would go with something like medium.

The OP is complaining about not competing with the BCS schools, and I think my 18 of 22 stat for Steelers is more relevant to that statement.

I was there when Jamie Newberg started BorderWars. Were you?

A bad assumption, perhaps, but look at this:

http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2003

Mostly 2's and 3's with an occasional 4 and a few NRs pretty much every year. I'd say we're about on par with most years if you look strictly at the rankings.

I haven't scouted any of these players, so I can't really comment on their quality. Judging a player by his list of offers is the reason why recruiting rankings are often self-serving and tend to be more off-base than a legitimate metric or projection should be.

I really don't have much interest in pro sports as compared to college sports.

I want S/As at GT reaching their potential on the Flats, not 4/5 years later in some pro league. That is not helping us.

Good for them if they do, but need em now at GT.

A bad assumption, perhaps, but look at this:

http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2003

Mostly 2's and 3's with an occasional 4 and a few NRs pretty much every year. I'd say we're about on par with most years if you look strictly at the rankings.

I haven't scouted any of these players, so I can't really comment on their quality. Judging a player by his list of offers is the reason why recruiting rankings are often self-serving and tend to be more off-base than a legitimate metric or projection should be.

You can't neccessarily compare stars from 6 or 7 years ago to today because hey are given out much more generously now, I read that in 2006 Rivals rated 800 players 3-stars and then in 2010 that had over 1300 3 star players with it going up each year in between. You sited scout but I'd imagine that the trend is the same.

Look at the 2 Super Bowl team's rosters.....most of the top-notch players came from smaller schools rather than D1 powerhouses.

The top paid player on the Steelers played at Kent State!!!

OK, I looked at the roster:

BCS Schools: 66%
"Mid-Major" : 19% (85% total)
Small: 15%

I'm calling Utah, BYU, any FBS that is not a BCS is a "Mid-Major".

You can't neccessarily compare stars from 6 or 7 years ago to today because hey are given out much more generously now, I read that in 2006 Rivals rated 800 players 3-stars and then in 2010 that had over 1300 3 star players with it going up each year in between. You sited scout but I'd imagine that the trend is the same.

You do have a point, but some of that inflation is due to recruiting becoming alot more popular among fans, which leads to more revenue by Espn, rivals, and scout, which leads to more employees, which leads to more players being evaluated. Also, nowadays, their are highlight videos of every player on the dang field it seems like. These recruiting services are getting sent more tapes and emails about prospects which allows them to evaluate more players in a shorter time.

I do think they are a little more generous with their stars, but I also think that they have stepped up their game some the past 5 yrs.

Back