GT Student Engagement

Incentives will either be abused or ineffective.

You can't expect students to want to attend games that are uninteresting.

Their interest is piqued by success or competitive games. MTSU didn't warrant a sellout crowd. Hence, you know the rest.

It takes talent to compete with great teams. Thus, the circular argument revolves back to academic curriculum, etc.

Go back to the student ticket policy from 2005... it actually worked. I've explained it before on here, but the current "season ticket" policy actually guarantees empty seats. It's not a frat vs GDI thing. You don't get blocks to show up by punishing them for not showing up. This student ticket policy is KILLING the excitement of the fanbase.

I think the issue is that compared to students at other schools, Tech students just don't like going to Tech and being involved at Tech as other schools. The people who I know that went to Auburn don't just love Auburn football, they love Auburn as a school and love the overall experience of Auburn. Same way with Clemson, uga, Alabama, etc. I just graduated, and that attitude and those feelings just don't exist at Tech. So you can come up with incentives and penalties all day, but I really don't think it'll help much. In my experience, people who want to go to the football games are going to the football games.

this. it seems that the only students who care about football are fraternities and maybe half the student body. tech students are whole different breed than students at uga or auburn. the only ideas i have is something like a black out(white is a little hard when its cold), pom poms for every guest through the gates, or a student pep rally on fridays before home games.

I can definitely understand this point, but how can we change that once a student gets to Tech?

This may have more to do with the motivation behind coming to tech vs other schools. Tech students in general come to tech to go to school. Other colleges students go to their schools to go to college.

Lower SAT entry scores to less than 1000 for females....form a selection body of stingtalkers, which I chair, to select which females get into GT.....solid 7's from then out....

For the first home game of the season, do something with the freshmen. That first semester is going to be where most freshmen are impressionable. Give them a good BDS experience and hook them for the rest of their Tech years, however long or short they may be.

There were just too many freshmen in my dorm that didn't seem to care too much about Saturdays.

Newsflash: Tech attracts nerd-types that don't like sports, let alone GT football.

This is exactly the reason why you introduce the experience. Most that don't attend the games that are minutes away probably never been to a football game in their life. Even get 1% of the freshmen class to like their first BDS experience would be a big win because it'll make an impression on them.

btw, this is all about student engagement. Not student "let's plug a thumb up our asses and do absolutely nothing except make excuses".

Admit less international students.

That will never happen, but I remember one member who posted something about a program that the Rice football team does with Rice's international student body to try to get them interested in american football.

Lel.

Win games.

Wisconsin average home attendance
1986-1990: 43000/game (54% of stadium capacity)
1990-1994 (Alvarez era begins): 85000/game (3rd largest in NCAA)

Oregon
1975: barely 25000 in a 50000 stadium
1985 (Brooks era): 45000

Kansas State average home attendance
1989: 30000 in a 48000 stadium.
1999 (Snyder era): 55000 and stadium expansion.

Win games. The rest will follow.

Of course there is always Stanford, where even Jim Harbaugh's record was not enough to attract people to games. I hope that being in the South, this won't be a problem.

Monetary incentives like this do not work - any executive will tell you that. In fact, it would result in a backlash. You need a four sided approach based on role modelling, understanding, capability, and reinforcement to accomplish change.

Also, this sort of change program is exactly what executives are paid to accomplish. Not being able to design a program or effectively implement it in 5 years is a severe problem in leadership.

Well I am not an executive so please elaborate. What can possibly motivate if not money? I think this would attract more borderline students to the games, and I agree that the students who are so stubborn they refuse to go to the game even if it gets them money might backlash, but who cares? They are beyond help. Knock everyone on the fence into the stadium and let the whiners whine.

I have had a few ideas for a while so read this!

There have been some great ideas so far, and this post will touch on some of them and maybe offer improvements.

I'm not sure our reputation could really survive "Tech pays students to come to games" or "Tech students get class credit for going to football games." I'd rather not become (more of) a laughingstock just to get students to games.

JRjr

Back