GT vs UVA '90 on now on YouTube Live

Didn't realize how screwed we were in this game.

Thats the first time ive ever seen that whole game. 4Q was ridiculous. Clays pick that wasn’t. Merchant’s TD that got called back at the 40. Phantom penalty gives UVA 6 plays from the 1. Head sets going down on our sideline multiple times. Hell of a W.

Also can somebody who was a fan back then comment on the “crowd noise” rule they referenced in the 2Q? Something about the QB being allowed to not snap the ball if his team can’t hear him from within 7 yards?!?!

Heh I saw myself on TV a bunch of times in that video as a GT cheerleader on the sideline.
1990-me.jpg

...and after that we wouldn't win in Charlottesville for decades. Worth it.

All the pregame hype was UVA. DC connections, Jess Jackson's son playing linebacker...on and on.
Thank you Scott.

I was living in Philly that year and the only game I could make was the Maryland game. But brought a buddy from Philly who went to MD so got choice seats - closest to the field I've ever been. Wow - what a season.

Jones was a money QB and our receivers caught every ball they should. Our players were just big across the board and our defense played with a nasty streak, but not dumb. In today’s game it seems like players see nasty as picking up dumb penalties. Coleman, Rudolph, and Tiggle played clean but nasty. Bell was just a beastly college RB. I told my son last night as we watched it that at least with Collins players we won’t be physically outmatched anymore. If we can find just a consistent QB with some wheels we’ll take off.

Thats the first time ive ever seen that whole game. 4Q was ridiculous. Clays pick that wasn’t. Merchant’s TD that got called back at the 40. Phantom penalty gives UVA 6 plays from the 1. Head sets going down on our sideline multiple times. Hell of a W.

Also can somebody who was a fan back then comment on the “crowd noise” rule they referenced in the 2Q? Something about the QB being allowed to not snap the ball if his team can’t hear him from within 7 yards?!?!
What is the explanation behind the phantom penalty? After UVA's first failed 2nd down they started the sequence of downs over seemingly without complaint by GT. Sequence begins at 2:15:50 in video.

Back