Happiness at Tech

Sorry for partying

tumblr_mss7i47dy41shm9rjo1_500.gif
Good for you. But I would have found a gif with less potential for misunderstanding to express my feelings.

4c6.gif

For real though, now I'm just genuinely curious. How many hours were required to graduate back when Tech was on quarters? I believe it was generally 120 on the semester system. So basically you could average 15 hours a semester (without taking any summer semesters) and finish in 4 years.

Last edited:
4c6.gif

For real though, now I'm just genuinely curious. How many hours were required to graduate back when Tech was on quarters? I believe it was generally 120 on the semester system. So basically you could average 15 hours a semester (without taking any summer semesters) and finish in 4 years.

I had 207 quarter-hours for EE. Lightest quarters were 16 hours.

New gif is better.

4c6.gif

120 is the minimum for a bachelor's degree. Engineering degrees run 130+. Chemical Engineering was 142 at one point.

On a quarter system?
No, we are all semesters, Tech converted couple years before I started.

It seems like 200 quarter-hours is about 130 semester-hours.

Basically, they took 3 quarter courses for a year, and squeezed it into 2 semester courses, so 2/3's the "credit hours".

So your 17-20 quarter hours are maybe about 11-14 semester hours.

No, we are all semesters, Tech converted couple years before I started.

It seems like 200 quarter-hours is about 130 semester-hours.

Basically, they took 3 quarter courses for a year, and squeezed it into 2 semester courses, so 2/3's the "credit hours".

So your 17-20 quarter hours are maybe about 11-14 semester hours.

The question that was asked was how many hours it took to graduate on the quarter system. The two answers after mine were people on the semester system so I guess they didn't understand the question.

The number of hours per class on a quarter system was how many hours you spent in class each week. So a 51 hour, 3 quarter year would break down to something like:

Q1: 5 x 3 hour classes + 1 x 1 hour lab
Q2: 5 x 3 hour classes + 1 x 1 hour lab
Q3: 6 x 3 hour classes + 1 x 1 hour lab

Classes like Calc were 5 credit hours - you went every day.

I had to take 5 x 5 hour quarters of Calc + 1 x 5 hour quarter of DiffEq. How does that compare vs semesters?

I believe most majors on the quarter system needed around 190 hours. Twelve quarters of fifteen credit hours got you 180. I usually had eighteen hours. I had started off well so I was allowed to take 23 hours the Spring of my Freshman year. Had Calculus, Physics, English, Psychology, Health, Political Science and Naval Science.

The hard part about the quarter system was that you had mid-terms, finals and papers to do three times in the academic year as opposed to twice. Many courses tried to cover the same material covered in a semester, so you had high volume reading to do.

What I liked about the quarter system was that you were able to take about 50% more classes than with semesters. This enabled you to take a number of extra classes in your major and extra classes as electives.

GT was HARD. But I really had a blast over those years.
GDI at first but Frat life later. I didn't expect it, but Fraternity life was actually a big help at GT.

Classes like Calc were 5 credit hours - you went every day.

I had to take 5 x 5 hour quarters of Calc + 1 x 5 hour quarter of DiffEq. How does that compare vs semesters?
In semesters, you also take Calc everyday. The difference:

Quarters had 10 weeks and you took 5 Calc courses (Calc I through V). So 50 weeks or 250 classes.

Semesters have 15 weeks and you take 3 Calc courses (Calc I through III). So 45 weeks or 225 classes.

I had 212 qtr hours in IE when I graduated in 1981. I got done in 12 quarters including 1 12 hr summer schedule to graduate in less than 4 years (after winter of year 4). I didn't have any money and had to get out as quickly as I could. 19-21 hours a quarter was normal. Took 23 fall sophomore quarter and that fried me from the workload (5hr calc, 5 hr physics, 4 3 hours courses and band). 6 finals in 5 days - made Dean's list but sure as heck didn't do that again. It was really a dumb thing to do.

When the system changed to semesters for the Olympics, they cut the hour requirements to 120 (180 eq) because it was costing the state too much to provide more hours than needed for a comparable undergrad degree at other research universities. It was basically an extra year or class per quarter. It was the right thing to do.

I had a great time while at Tech. Being plugged into the band crowd really helped - great friends and support and a constant mental break from classwork. But it was mostly self study academically. I only had a handful of professors/instructors who really loved teaching and added things in class you didn't get from the text - especially if the prof actually wrote the textbook. There were "classes" I skipped because of it - didn't get anything out of going. That is why Tech students are so successful in business - Ma Tech didn't hold your hand. If you wanted it bad enough, you got it. If you didn't....

My night business grad school classes at Georgia State were much easier, but also much more interesting to attend with everyone in the class in the workforce and the professors generally very good in the classroom.

I wish all the transfers well. We all know Tech isn't for everyone and never was. It also isn't for those who don't want to work hard. My three children all went to Tech: one graduated with highest honors, one graduated, and one didn't graduate. All went to same high school and scored within 80 points of each other on SAT (highest honors wasn't highest SAT). 1 worked her butt off and excelled, one was into leadership stuff at sorority and did enough to graduate, and one could have but didn't work hard enough. Love them all dearly and am proud of all of them, but equal opportunity doesn't mean equal results.

120 is the minimum for a bachelor's degree. Engineering degrees run 130+. Chemical Engineering was 142 at one point.

Eh, I must have misremembered my own requirements. Hopefully this doesn't turn into one of those stress dreams where I find out I never actually graduated and have to take an impromptu exam that I didn't study for.

found the problem
Yes, I think they realized pretty quickly your childhood home can sometimes be idealized into something the place really wasn't. Even when I was a kid, there was this huge exposed rock kind of shaped like stone mountain in the back yard that I would go play on with my trucks, cars, GI Joes. I walk back there now and it is a little rock about 3 feet long and about 2 feet high. To me as a kid, that was a Cobb County landmark

Wtf is this thread? The "don't come to GT, recruits" thread?. Cut it out already with your depressing stories

We should organize a march around the Campanille to demand GT retroactively satisfy our right to happiness and whatever other stuff people think should get.

We should organize a march around the Campanille to demand GT retroactively satisfy our right to happiness and whatever other stuff people think should get.

I think it's fixed going forward. From what i understand, everybody who gets in gets out these days. That has to reduce the stress dramatically.

I think it's fixed going forward. From what i understand, everybody who gets in gets out these days. That has to reduce the stress dramatically.

Not good enough. March anyways.

Back