Happy with the CPJ extension?

Happy with the CPJ extension?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Having the head coach on a contract that expires in 2-3 years gives other schools the ability to negatively recruit (you do not know who your coach will be your junior year if you go to Tech, you'll be 23 when my contract expires; Tech isn't committed to CPJ, his contract expires in 2/3 years and they haven't extended like they did me).

This is the cost of doing business in college football. Everyone should be happy with the extension because it means our AD isn't stupid. Even if you don't like CPJ, this is good for the program.

Having the head coach on a contract that expires in 2-3 years gives other schools the ability to negatively recruit (you do not know who your coach will be your junior year if you go to Tech, you'll be 23 when my contract expires; Tech isn't committed to CPJ, his contract expires in 2/3 years and they haven't extended like they did me).

This is the cost of doing business in college football. Everyone should be happy with the extension because it means our AD isn't stupid. Even if you don't like CPJ, this is good for the program.
BS nobody would care if CPJ had 3 years left.

I knew it would go this way. Its got me worried about this fanbase
I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. There may be a few CPJ all the way crowd in here but I think majority do want Tech's performance to improve and won't put up CPJ to stay till the end of his contract. TStan made a committment to give CPJ what he's been bitching about to help him recruit better and do better on the field for a while. If you're making that sort of commitment, you gotta give the guy couple years to right the ship anyway. This is simply a vote of confidence from the AD so we have one less thing to worry about on the recruiting trail.

BS nobody would care if CPJ had 3 years left.

When we waited till the end of the season last time to extend him they had articles in AJC asking whether he's on the hot seat because it's typical to extend the head coach before he's only got 2 years left. Do you not remember this? We even discussed it here on the board.

I chuckle at the CPJ-Forever crowd.

I don't think anyone here is in the CPJ Forever crowd. However, we are able to rationally look at the situation realistically and unemotionally and know that keeping CPJ is the right move for now. That doesn't mean that this won't change next year, or the year after.

I don't think anyone here is in the CPJ Forever crowd. However, we are able to rationally look at the situation realistically and unemotionally and know that keeping CPJ is the right move for now. That doesn't mean that this won't change next year, or the year after.

I don't disagree - I didn't vote NO!! I was a bit hyperbolic but so was OP.

Some of you are idiots. It's a business decision. Like some have already pointed out, all it means is more of a security blanket for recruiting. It is absolutely a negative recruiting tool used by others when coaches near the end of a contract, especially if they seem to be on the hot seat. It doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how long he will or will not be coaching here. As long as the buyout remains the same, it's basically no different now than it was before, only now other schools can't say, "see he only has 2 years left and they're not extending him. Do you want to go play there where you won't know what will happen then?" How many coaches do you see let go after letting a contract run out and how many do you see fired with more than 2 years left on them? There's a reason for that.

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. There may be a few CPJ all the way crowd in here but I think majority do want Tech's performance to improve and won't put up CPJ to stay till the end of his contract. TStan made a committment to give CPJ what he's been bitching about to help him recruit better and do better on the field for a while. If you're making that sort of commitment, you gotta give the guy couple years to right the ship anyway. This is simply a vote of confidence from the AD so we have one less thing to worry about on the recruiting trail.

Yep, crazy how much TStan has done so far. I would have liked to see the impact that simply changing the logo on our jerseys would have in recruiting but giving CPJ a handful of recruiting/branding analysts is definitely non-trivial as well. I'm actually optimistic about recruiting and looking forward to December in that regard.

I think the Johnson extension was necessary to land a Woody. An extended Johnson should also help in attracting 2 additional high level assistants to fill out the staff. Recruiting coaches is just as important as recruiting athletes.

I think the Johnson extension was necessary to land a Woody. An extended Johnson should also help in attracting 2 additional high level assistants to fill out the staff. Recruiting coaches is just as important as recruiting athletes.

So, what you are saying here is that Johnson needed a Woody for his staff?

I'm happy for the anti-CPJers who are butthurt.

Wahhhhhh we had a bad season. Therefore it must be the head coach's fault and/or the quarterback's fault. My brain can't fathom any other factors. Fire the coach and put in the backup!

Keep the coach but put in the backup.

We had a bad season separated by 6 points from a decent season. Try to have some faith that the new DC will bring in the aggressiveness to Tech defense to make those clutch stops. And our offense not scoring every drive doesnt mean a loss. Championships are won by teams with better defenses.

When we waited till the end of the season last time to extend him they had articles in AJC asking whether he's on the hot seat because it's typical to extend the head coach before he's only got 2 years left. Do you not remember this? We even discussed it here on the board.

If he goes 5-6 or 6-6 or 3-8 again he probably deserves to be on the hotseat at the end of next year and get canned. If he goes 8-4 or 10-2 or beats UGA again he would deserve to be extended at that point. I think that's why people are upset, the extension today doesn't make much sense and if we suck again next year all we have done is saddle ourselves with a larger buyout.

If he goes 5-6 or 6-6 or 3-8 again he probably deserves to be on the hotseat at the end of next year and get canned. If he goes 8-4 or 10-2 or beats UGA again he would deserve to be extended at that point. I think that's why people are upset, the extension today doesn't make much sense and if we suck again next year all we have done is saddle ourselves with a larger buyout.
Those are the people who are convinced he'll deliver another 3-8 or 5-6 next season so they're mad that we won't be able to fire him at the end of this year. I think TStan is giving him at least 2 more seasons with this move to make improvements to recruiting and have enough time to see it start paying off.

Why not give Johnson the tools to succeed? His past successes at GT came without the latest initiatives.

Or we could roll the dice on someone new.

Those are literally the only two options.

If you decide to wait and he goes 8-4 or 10-2 next year, you would have to give him a bigger raise and probably bigger buyout, too. If TStan wants to stick with Johnson for now, the only reasonable move is to extend him now. People are viewing this extension as a reward for this season's performance. It isn't that. It's just the correct business decision.

Back